REX AccuSeason Released Today

I just never drank the juice, I prefer to maintain an objective viewpoint rather than tainting it by become “heavily invested”.

Bijan’s seasons mods are excellent, but I’m hoping Rex’s will be better. That’s all.

1 Like

From my perspective, Bijan’s is “fire and forget”. Choose season you want and put that in your community folder. You never need to touch it again until you want to change the season. Nothing to start up or set up at launch. I think that is what @bravetoss07 is getting at.

7 Likes

Just bought this but unable to install. No matter what method I choose, REXAXIS online or from the pc version, it says that it’s not able to validate my information. Maybe it takes a while for their systems to update but getting frustrated now!

1 Like

same. it’s really annoying.

1 Like

Nice to see it’s not just me! Can’t even login to my newly created account, says it can’t find my profile

1 Like

The only thing I would be interested in here that would be over and above what Bijan does is something which sets the season according to where you are and the time of year. If someone has purchased this it would be good to understand how this works - is it automatically tied to the sim date/time and location or do you need to start a separate interface pre/during sim etc?

Also, by extension, how does this handle season transitions, if at all? Bijan has 4 options - spring/summer/autumn/winter (naturally!). Does this have similar or does it blend seasons together, taking into account lattitude and time of year? If that was automatically tied to the sim date/time that would be potentially of interest.

To be fair, I basically change seasons with Bijan’s mod to match the season where I live as I don’t fly anything other than real time (so I doubt I’ve ever wound the clock back to fly in June or something when it is December right now). So far, I’ve had to change Bijan’s seasons twice in the last 6 months…so it’s hardly onerous and with an add-on linker is literally 2 clicks.

3 Likes

The link in the second post answers your question:

In AUTOMATION MODE, REX automatically displays tree colors based on current date and flight location! Our dynamic automation tech displays foliage based on current date and automatically changes tree colors throughout the year with weekly tree color changes during autumn into winter in the northern hemisphere.

2 Likes

Seasons should have been one of the main features since the release. I can’t understand why it is left out so far. Isn’t it more important than some photogrammetry?

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s helpful and this does look interesting. For clarity, having read the manual, it would appear that this does alter the season dynamically based on date/time location, but with two important points to be aware of:

1. It does this through a scheduled windows task set to run daily (some people may not like this)

2. The date appears to be real time only and not taken from the in-sim date - not a big issue, but one to be aware of

It also isn’t completely clear whether or not it applies different seasons to different parts of the world. It references “your location” - which again seems like real world location and not cim location. So if I’m in the UK now, it is December and therefore winter. But if seasons is based on that, what will it show if I fly in Australia?

2 Likes

The web link in the first post says that if you fly from northern hemisphere to southern, or vice versa, then you will see it change seasons.

It certainly looks interesting, but I know Bijan has done a lot of work on biomes around the world, so I think I’ll wait for the reviews to come in.

The winter trees in this one may be more FPS friendly than the 3D models in Bijan’s though.

2 Likes

Finally figured it out, needed to create yet another account for Rexaxis it seems, now installing…

I can only see references to “flight location”, no mention I can see to “your location”. If you’re in the UK but fly in Australia in December then it should be warm and sunny.

I was looking at this:

As this is a schedulked windows task outside of the sim, it can’t know what date/location you will be flying from. That doesn’t prevent it applying summer colours to Australia when applying winter to the UK of course.

Only had a few minutes to do a quick check and having opted for the Automated Dynamic Seasonal Changes I’ve hopped from Leeds to Innsbruck to south africa using live time and weather and like what I see, autumnal here near Leeds where I live, snowy in innsbruck and looking very summery down near Cape Town. I also like being able to reduce the overall tree size as I’ve always thought they were a bit tall. Going to explore further in coming days but so far so good.

11 Likes

You have to download and install the Rexaxis installer. They tell you this in the confirmation email from your purchase. It was easy to run, no problem, mate.

I’m gonna stick to the man who has been here since day 1 and one of the best developers I have ever dealt with in my 35 years of simming and that is MR BIjahn Habashi a true human and very talented artist at His work hands down !

8 Likes

I’m very happy with Bijan’s work too, but hopefully the sim has a big enough market to accomodate two season apps.

I’ve gone through the advert for this and downloaded the HD photos from their website to get a better look and it does look great quality. I especially like the week by week automatic changing of the trees. They seem to have a clever technique for making winter trees look like they have lost their leaves too.

Some of the photos look incredibly similar to Bijan’s to the point I’m wondering if they are just using exactly the same engine/sdk and therefore there cant be that much differentiation between the two?

Ultimately iron sharpens iron so I expect both Rex and Bijan will be closely monitoring each other from here on out and striving to ensure any feature set in one add on is matched by their own.

Bijan is incredibly responsive and so I’m sure he’ll see this add on and use it for inspiration, and vice versa.

My gut feeling is that Rex, maybe being a multiperson developer studio will have more resources and therefore can offer a better integrated solution, automatically changing seasons, more of a once click product that will apeal to a lot of people. Bijan, as a single dev, has more of a hobbyist/enthusiast type background, maybe not as slick, but he will be far more responsive to user feedback, update more regularly and users will have more of a chance to get their own requests/wish lists integrated into the product.

Like you, I’m happy to stick with Bijan’s add on, and I’ll be interested to see how he responds to the challenge. I expect he’ll be pumping out new features in the new year to keep his users happy so that excites me.

Hi All. Wanted to provide clarity real quick. We have been prototyping terrain mask functionality and are looking forward to implementing this in a future update. Someone above mentioned color tone and that is related to color tone of the vegetation for presets, in which you would have the choice of the same colors, but the tone of the colors would be either warm tones, cool tones, or neutral tones. I will be back on in a couple of hours and will be able to respond to more questions, but I just wanted to at least answer this. Thanks all, be back in a while.

8 Likes

It seems very real…,want to get and try it!

2 Likes

I have a question with regards to vegetation placement in the SDK. In a scenery add-on, if vegetation is coded in certain areas as deciduous, conifer warm, conifer cold, etc, are those still in tact? Or have those been altered to the point that scenery add-ons with vegetation adjustments need to be updated by developers?