Rift S settings discussion

There was this great thread on Rift S settings which is sadly now archived due to the 30 day rule: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-settings-so-far-for-rift-s/338816

Would be good to keep the discussion alive so Rift S users can share tips! I found the guide in the above thread really useful but one thing I’m going back and forth between is the Oculus Pixel per display setting (also referred to as super sampling I think in the tray tool) and render scale in MSFS 2020.

I’d initially settled on setting the Oculus pixels per display to 2.0 (using debug tool) and then render scaling in game to 50% (so at the native resolution of the Rift). This gave the best cockpit visuals but not great scenery. From the guide above I tried 1.2-1.3 Oculus pixels per display with render scaling at 100% in game. Overall I think this looks better, but maybe not quite as clear in the cockpit and slightly worse FPS (to be expected I think as running slightly higher than native resolution).

What I don’t quite understand is that raising the Oculus pixels per display in the debug tool or tray tool seems to have a bigger performance hit than just using the render scale slider in game (if I leave oculus settings alone I can have this at 140-150 and still get smooth performance). Maybe there is an obvious reason for this but I find it confusing.

Anyway, slightly rambling post but anyone else playing with these settings and found a good balance they would recommend?

My specs for reference:
Ryzen 5 5600x
5700xt
32GB Ram
Game on nvme SSD
Rift S

2nd the motion to keep the thread alive. I have the MS store version and the Rift S but most of the reporting here on the forum seems focused on the Steam version and other headsets.

I found rift S super sampling does not increase sharpness much and also does not cost performance significantly either. I use 100 render scale in the game, there is not much difference between 1.0 and 1.3 super sampling.
My HW is Intel 10700k OC’d @5.1 GHZ, NVidia RTX 2080, and Rift S. MSFS is MS version.

My spec
I9-9700k
32gb
GTX 1080
Rift S

I think I’ve spent as much time tweaking as flying to get a smooth performance, however whenever I start the SIM on a different day I get the stuttering back again, it’s so frustrating.
After so many adjustments I think I have found the sweet spot.
Render scale - 70
LOD - 90

OTT
SS - 1.7
ASW - 18

Hey Guys,

my specs:
i9-10850K
64GB Trident OC
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
1TB NVMe
Rift S
MS Store Version

I have found that I can get a solid 38-40FPS with:
Render 100
LOD 100

What helped me the most I found was dropping the Res on the monitor to a crazy 640X480. Its barely legible, but I dont care im usually in the goggles.

I wish they would get DirectX 12 running.

9700k@5ghz
2080ti
32gb ram
Rift S

As above someone mentioned lots of tweaking that’s me too.

Found 100% render in game with 1.4ss works best visual and for smoothness. These settings in game.

I’m also running a CMD to set as and lock asw to 30. Found it ran better that way than using OTT.

I put together my guide here, you will need to adjust depending on your hardware. But may be handy for someone else. I also show how I created shortcuts to implement SS and ASW at the end of the document:

4 Likes

What is a huge improvement on my setup (i5-10400, rtx3070, 16GB RAM) is to deactivate every second screen and set the main screen (not vr) to a resolution like 1024*768.
I think every pixel the GPU has not to render except VR, helps the VR rendering process.
I put everything on high and scaling to 80, Detail lvl to 40 and objects lvl to 55 and everything is running smooth. But i am still experimenting. Also, i am tweaking the 3070 to 120% power with OC

Little comparison with my rift s in the attached. Hope it helps someone I’ve got the 2080ti, this is in game render scaling 100% and super sampling 1.4. over London hence very low fps…

V27 has the black screen that appears every now and then fixed.

Update sticking to 457.30 and Oculus v24.

1 Like

Interesting. Are you still using the same settings as posted further up?

On my rift S, I have SS off in FS and off in Nvidia Control panel. Rendering at 100 in FS.

I leave clouds at high and most other stuff on ultra.

leave everything standard is OTT.

Pixel override at 1.4 in ODT. Anything higher causes problems.

This is the best trade off for me between performance and quality.

16gb, 3070, i7-10700

In terms of max fps 461.72 is the top driver performing for my set up and system. But testing for smoothness in vr I am still finding 457.30 trump’s the others. I am seeing fewer judders, black screens loading scenery when moving your head and less jaggered lines than the other results.

With the Oculus driver, V27 kept more often than not causing a fuzz of the scenery moving head, whereas V24 was consistent in delivery good visuals.

So I’m sticking with 457.30 and V24, fps doesn’t mean anything unless it’s translating that into a smooth flight experience :+1:

1 Like

I’ll give that a try tomorrow killagamer, never had ss off in game will see if I notice anything. Hopefully smoothness :wink:

Where to get the Oculus V24 driver ???

Here. You’ll need 7zip to unzip.

Stop the 3 ovr processes running. Delete old Oculus in program files paste the download Oculus folder in there.

Launch Oculus reboot and it should show Oculus v24 in settings - general at the bottom of that page.

1 Like

If anyone wants v27 they are here

Just as an update I saw video VR flight sim guy posted

Whilst not particularly scientific I flew out of Norwich and London (nor/lon next to note) and tried moving my head similar through each of the benchmarks to get a feel of what they would be like when moving head not only to compare drivers but also Oculus versions.

Results below I noted within the frame times some strange behaviour in v27.

So 457.30 and v24 still for me - but not by much compared to the really older driver 441.66.

Guy’s I’ve been boring again I completed a little testing after the recent update in MSFS and have found the following:

There’s a definite boost in FPS performance with my default London flight from EGLC to EGLL old version at the bottom of the list.

I then tried latest 461.92 vs the old faithful 457.30 drivers and the latest 461.92 just took it.

I then turned on game mode and HAGS and a small improvement on these scores.

Round up, with my 2080ti, 9700k and I am now using Nivida 461.92 and I am also using Oculus V27..

Game mode on and HAGs on.

Obviously YMMV.

hi everyone, I’m looking for a tip for vr with rift s … the game runs well between 35/40 fps my problem and in fast turns where you see the edges of the buildings, mountains or the horizon like “vibrate or split” what can I do to improve this defect?
pc info:
i9 9900kf
zotac 3070
32 gm ram
rift s
thank you very much

I am using Rift S with 1080Ti. And I wouldn’t be complaining much if it weren’t for the fact that even gentle head movements make the view of the cockpit very jerky - the effect of stuttering. When I don’t shake my head, the view outside the window is smooth and without stuttering.

hello that problem I see it when I have asw enabled in all its ways 18hz 30hz or 45hz … for my asw off in Rift s…tonight I have disabled all the functions of Windows HAGS, GAME MODE and that of synchronization and everything is much better! what settings do use?

I tried all of this too - to no avail.
I have the same problem with X-Plane when using the native Oculus app.
There, the rescue was / is to run XP via SteamVR - then the simulation is smooth as butter.
Unfortunately, this trick doesn’t work in MSFS