Roche Barton airfield, is it a death trap?

So flying around Cornwall this week I wanted to get close to the Eden Project so went to land at Roch Barton airfield. I had to abort my landing because of two giant wind turbines right in the middle of the field.

I thought it must be a mistake but Google maps confirm it really does have them there.

I’m curious how planes use the airfield and where they take off? Any real pilots ever landed there?

Are you sure you have the right location for the runways? I checked it out on Google Maps, and the wind turbines are pretty far from the field; definitely looks to be plenty of room to operate.

1 Like

It looks like it’s (been) in some disuse, but here is a chart where they’re shown:

http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/roche/4585702039

1 Like

I just followed the POI pointer and it just took me to a field with two wind turbines in it. I couldn’t find a runway anywhere. I’ve landed at plenty of other fields and the runway is always clearly visible.

It’s not out of use in the game either, unlike Plymouth Airport, which exists in the game, but doesn’t show up as a POI or in the Nearest Airfield list radio frequency. I googled why Plymouth airport doesn’t work in MSFS and turns out that airport closed down, so the fact Roche Barton still shows up makes me think it must be active?

I tried to use Roche as a landing point for one of my bush trips and it caused real problems. The sim seems to place it nearer to the A30 service station and the ‘real’ runway was covered with trees and the wind turbines. This screen shot from LNM shows what I think is going on. I changed the bush flight to use an alternate airport as it would have caused too much confusion.

1 Like

Aha I’m glad it wasn’t just me. I ended up just ditching the plane near the clay pits, seemed safer!

1 Like

I landed as near to the real airfield as I could and taxied onto a treeless part of the runway to see if the ‘end of leg’ would trigger on my bush flight. It finally worked in the car park of the nearby service station(!) It just seemed easier to use a different airport for the bush trip in the end. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, is this a bush trip you’ve made available on FlightSim? I’ve not done any bush trips yet.

Sounds like you should move this thread to the Bugs&Issues section (you can do so yourself if you click on the pencil to right of the title of the thread) and also file a Zendesk ticket for the bug to be fixed.

1 Like

After posting earlier, I jumped in to check it out for just kicks, and you’re right, that airfield is definitely off. As seen in Profsc’s screenshot, the sim has it located over in the field with one of the turbines. Google Maps, on the other hand, will take you to those runways on the right, with no indication of any runways where the sim has it. Even stranger, despite the airfield being in the wrong location in the sim, it still managed to model the tee hangars from the correct location, but then still place them in the wrong location.

1 Like

I have published a few bush trips on flightsim.to. The ‘Roche’ one is a trip from John O’Groats to Land’s End down the east coast. I have also done the reverse journey up the west coast round Wales. There are two others on the Pacific and Atlantic Coasts of the USA and my favourite is a British bush trip visiting airports that have been used as motor-racing circuits. Please give one a go and let me know what you think.

2 Likes

I sent in a Zendesk ticket when I first found this when making the bush trip a few months ago. It wouldn’t hurt to move this thread as suggested though…

I’m glad to know it wasn’t just me being an idiot. I think it’s a useful airfield to get fixed as the Eden Project is right next to it and the clay pits around it are quite spectacular. It’s one my favorite areas to fly over. I’ve got out of the plane and ‘walked’ up the famous clay pyramid with spectacular views all around.

Can we bump your old thread back up or add our signatures to the ticket? I’ve not doen that before.

I’ve just done that now and added my vote. If Profsc410 can find his old thread I’ll add my vote to his too or can we merge them into one thread? Because of its location I think its an airfield that should get fixed.

I agree. I can’t see Roche in my archive of tickets I have raised in the past. It might just be that it is late and I’m not looking properly or it may have been a job I intended to do but never got round to (senior moment most likely)!
I shall raise a ticket in the morning and report back here when it is done then at least I have completed the job I told you I had done.

1 Like

I might ask Superspud or one of the other Flight Sim contributors if they are able to fix it, I love Superspud’s airports, I’ve got all his Devon and Cornwall, Scilly Isle ones.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to check these out! The British ones will be very educational, and I live in San Diego myself so hopping from there to Seattle will be super cool as well.

1 Like

I think it was Superspud who made St. Just near Land’s End, it is a superb piece of work and I recommended it for my trips. Asobo have done their own for the GB update and I have not been back to compare.

Let me know what you think, I am always keen to improve my work. The latest on the Atlantic coast now has full refuelling but I’m afraid the older ones require a cheat by mapping a ‘repair and refuel’ key to your keyboard or joystick. Perhaps it is time to update these old ones…

1 Like