Roche Barton airfield, is it a death trap?

The runway apparently slopes upwards and it’s the right length and all. Maybe it’s pure deadly in real life.

But who gives a toss about slavish realism? I can flatten it but it’ll be in an odd dip which might make taking off even harder unless I change the whole site.

1 Like

I’m a beginner to flight sims so a good opportunity for me to learn some short field take off and landings!

Even though I’ve moved the airport marker in this version, it appears it hasn’t moved as a marker inside the sim. It’s about half a mile away from the actual runways.

Not sure that one can be solved which is going to make it rather tricky to find if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

Does that mean that bush trip legs would not end correctly?

I’m not sure how bush trips work, but this means both navigation fans and VFR types will still get taken to the marker in the wrong place.

Obviously you should spot the proper airfield on the way, but you may not figure that’s where you’re really supposed to be going.

The alternative would be to make this one a ‘new’ airfield with a different ICAO and give it a name that’s clear about it being the real place. ‘Roche 4Realzzzzzzz, Playa’ or something.

But that might create its own confusion as it’s only half a mile away.

I shall make it part of my experimental flight then. I shall turn my flight plan into a simple bush trip and see if the flight ends as it should on the proper runway.

Ok. Lemme know how it pans out.

That’s just the job, well done!! I don’t think it needs any more work Superspud, it even triggered my little bush flight properly.

1 Like

Cool. There’s a bit more to do but very little. I’ll point out the marker thing just in case.

Gimme a link to your bush trip and I’ll put it in the description.

2 Likes

Thanks again for doing this Superspud. As a Devonian you’ve played a huge part in improving my enjoyment of this sim, I have all your Devon, Cornwall and St Marys airports.

My pleasure. I am v sad that Asobo ruined St Marys. I really hope that comes back but I have a funny feeling it won’t.

I was thinking of Dunkeswell for the SW next but that’s in the works by someone else. I’m pondering Culdrose instead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.