Rolling Cache and other settings disappeared

I tried a few times. But the shrink game list is empty. So I can’t choose MSFS to shrink. I don’t why.

I started a flight and choose the shrink menu, but the game list is still empty. So unlucky

■■■■… I will continue to do some research and see how we can get MSFS show up in shrinkable games… there’s no doubt in my mind this can fix it since as soon as I did this Rolling Cache option came back for me right away…

Asobo if you are reading this please explore this issue! It pains me to see others suffering!

Thanks a lot. The only way to show the game is to choose uninstall, then all games are listed. But I remember other people tried to uninstall the game, it doesn’t work. I feel you are right that the issue high likely is memory related since the bug was existed after the march sim update. All is fine before that.

1 Like

Yes and the odd part is when FS showed up as a shrinkable option in my menu it said 27 GB’s was shrinkable… very strange…

I guess we have different background. Mine is xbox X. Msfs size is 147.2 GB. This date vary between person cause downloading not same.

I also tried to delete the profile of msfs. I lost all the progress. it doesn’t matter to me. I started the new game but the bug is still there.

OMG IT WORKED FOR ME TOO THANK YOU MATE AFTER 5 month i am able to delete rolling cache again

3 Likes

I wonder if you guys device are Xbox . This bug seems only happen to xbox. PC is different.

If we all have Xbox ,then It is strange why only some users have this bug and why shrinking game solution not working for all since the sim update is compulsory, I assume our xbox system are all same .

The logic reason is that it is profile related bug. So it depends upon personal profile. But we don’t know what is wrong in profile. My rolling cache was set to 100GB. But now it is completely unmanageable.

The rolling cache function is important because the game will download gigabytes of photo- realistic scenery. So if you fly over same area, the area will become crystal clear by using cache . But now it is totally impossible to go so. The game experience become terrible now

Sort of, maybe it should be re-phrased to…

The rolling cache function is only important if you fly over the same area because the game will download gigabytes of photo-realistic scenery. If you fly over same area, the area will become crystal clear by using cache .

If you never, or very rarely fly over the same area, the rolling cache does nothing at all, it does however increase your system workload by writing all that data to disk for no benefit. :wink:

i am not sure enabling rolling cache will increase system workload cause I didn’t experience my xbox bad performance when i enabled it(mine is 100GB rolling cache).

My thought is rolling cache acts like downloading scenery data to the xbox. When the area is completely downloaded it will give you smooth and clear experience when flying cause it don’t need steaming at all. This function is very useful especially for the users who have relative low internet speed. Without it, it is hard to stream all the photo realistic senery when you fly at high speed over area. I think most users will experience the burry content more or less by this bug. You can test the difference by pausing the fight during game to see the scenery becoming more and more clear than just flying by it.

It was all just conjecture as nobody seems to know exactly how or what the RC does. I was getting CTD’s and bad stuttering so turned the RC off some weeks ago, since then it has not CTD’d but still has some stutters.

I rarely if ever fly the same route twice in succession so any data i had in my RC would have been overwritten by the time I come to fly that route again.

Thinking broadly, if it were essential, we would not be able to turn it off :wink:

according to my knowledge, the rolling cache works by the rule of first in first out. So long as the capacity is not full, it will not replace the data in it .

yes, the rolling cache can be turned off. I think this is most likely for user who don’t want satellite world senery( there are two option to choose when first launch the game: satellite world and computer generated world). if you choose satellite world, you will choose enable the rolling cache and decide it’s size cause this will need potentially giggabites of data. So I guess this is the logic of it.

the reason why you don’t feel difference is probably you have fast internet speed, it can stream gigabytes data in real time. But I doubt it will work all the time. So sometimes you will feel the burry content or stutters.

i don’t experience any CTD and stutters before or after this bug. however i often experience low bandwidth warning. sometimes it takes long time to load the flight. I find other users also get this warning although they have wide bandwidth. It is another bug logged.

Wow this worked for me and I’ve got my data menu back.

I had to leave the shrinkable space page on for a few minutes as the Xbox looked for shrinkable space.

But then flight Sim appeared. It let me shrink 27gb.

Then when I loaded the game I saw where it got that 27gb from. It removed all the world updates. Edit: actually not all of them, just 1 - 6, and part of the premium upgrade.

But the data menu is back. Excellent.

Reinstalling the world updates is a small price to pay.

1 Like

Thanks for finding this out and providing the instructions. I have my settings back! :+1: While the procedure is quite simple I wonder why there was absolutely no reaction from MS/Asobo even so the problem was reported months ago to Zendesk.

While updating WU 1…6 (don’t know why there is no update needed to WU 7…10) I again noticed that I only see two FS packages in Content manager: the Premium and the Delux one. Isn’t there supposed to be a “Base” one too? :thinking:

1 Like

The base one is the one you’re already in at this point.

1 Like

Ok, thanks… although I do not quite understand the rational behind.

Two thoughts/questions:

• in the Marketplace I see three packages: Premium, Deluxe and Premium Deluxe…why/what is that? :thinking:

• as I do not see the “base” package in the Content manager I’m not able to delete something out of that package, whereas I can delete items from the Premium and Deluxe packages, right? :thinking:

The base package is just the regular sim. There’s not a version you can download that has no aircraft in it.

Awesome I am so happy this worked for you guys too, but sad that it’s still not working for Otto (which I can imagine makes it so much more frustrating) :pensive:

Asobo you now have very strong evidence here as to what the problem is…

Never mind. I can wait for official fix although the game experience is bad comparing to before.

I just wonder why my Xbox don’t have game list for shrinking. Maybe my storage is still half percent empty so it don’t need to shrink? So I need to install more games? Maybe I should try uninstall all the world updates since the 27GB shrinked space are world updates?

Yes try experimenting and see if that works… also as reported by a user above after that maybe let it sit on the shrinkable games page for a few minutes and see if that will make Flight Sim appear…

Oh and keep messaging Asobo and point them to this thread so they can patch this! :wink: