Rolling Cache and other settings disappeared

I tried several times. I gave time to see if the game will appear in the list. I do notice there is a circle popping but unfortunately finally the result is still no game to shrink. :sweat_smile:

At least We make this thread hot

1 Like

Can confirm this also worked for me. Just a case of now redownloading some of the world updates after the shrink but a small price to pay. Thank you Hanso :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to know a few points from you:
1, what is the game size of your msfs now after the shrinking since 27 GB shrinked?
2, what happen to rolling cache setting after you download the world updates again?
3, Xbox or PC? I assume we are all on Xbox here

1. 170.2 GB’s (after 27 GB’s shrinked)

2. Rolling Cache set to 10 GB’s (which I assume is the default, however I can now adjust it and also delete it manually as it now appears in the Data menu (below Data Consumption). Re-downloading World Updates did not impact it. Also I did not have to re-install the World Updates completely, however when I went to the Content Manager I did have to update a few of them (which weren’t large downloads).

3. Xbox Series X

1 Like

Thanks mate. So you mean the rolling cache setting doesn’t disappear after you re-downloaded the shrinked world update ? If so, this is so good. How I wish I could do this.

OMG, now Every time I look at the menu it just feel like the wish of wining the lottery

Correct… and your case is very strange considering how this worked for everyone else… I just don’t understand why your shrinkable games doesn’t show MSFS… I really hope Asobo is reading this thread!

I am not sure if this solution fits for everyone since it seems only two users respond it’s ok.

If I am the only one left,’this is so sad. Maybe there will never be a official fix for me.

No matter how hard I try ,My shrinking game list is empty. I only have 4 games installed which occupy about 50% of the storage. So the system think these games can’t be shrinked.

I wonder how many games in your shrinking list? Only msfs or all of ur games?

For me it was just MSFS which appeared there, after I shrunk it, now none appear in that section.

There’s at least 4 people above who responded this method worked… keep asking Asobo to read this thread and investigate…

1 Like

All right. I think I’d better send email to msfs customer service asking about why my shrinking game is empty.

According to my research, it seems that the shrinkable games only appear in xbox one. In xbox x, general speaking , this list should be empty since it only remove 4k textures(world update is 4k texture in nature). So it is common that the list is empty. I just wonder why your list has msfs showed up since your device is xbox x too.

1 Like

I have an Xbox Series X and I do get the list w. shrinkable games. Although for me it’s just FS2020 anyway :grinning: What @Hanso77 suggested above for me did the trick.

After shrinking I had to update WU 1…6 not 7,8,9, 10 though. Don’t know what the difference is between them.

I did get my rolling cache and data settings back as well as I now also was able to delete the Asobo EDDS (Stuttgart) Airport (came in WU 5 I think) which I couldn’t befor. I needed to delete it because of a conflict w. the JustSim 3rd party EDDS airport.

Let’s look at this logically… we know the Shrinkable Games option is a subset of the “Free up space” submenu…

So Otto if I were you what I would try one of two things:

Option 1 - install a bunch of random games to fill up your Xbox’s HD

or…

Option 2 - uninstall MSFS, then load your Xbox Series X with a bunch of random games but leave just enough HD space to then re-install MSFS and all the world updates etc.

With either option, then restart your Xbox and see if that triggers MSFS to appear in shrinkable games… maybe the logic behind shrinkable games is an attempt for your Xbox to save you some HD space (since it is a subset of “Free up Space”) after all… worth a try

1 Like

Thank you for ur advice. I have chosen to change storage from the manage game menu of MSFS, it surprised me that this caused the game disappeared which in fact I have to re-install the game. I don’t know the difference between uninstall and storage change. Now the downloading is in progress. I will see if it works. But someone has done it before but it doesn’t work.

From ur logic, it seems that shrinking game only work when the storage is not enough. But we don’t know where the line is. Maybe 80% full since mine is only 50% full? What is ur percent when shrinking game?

The rolling cache is still missing after re-install the game. Thus the bug can’t be fixed by re- install the game.

I find that the world updates are compulsory to install from Japan to Germany. (See attached) but the rest of them are optional. I don’t why. Maybe these installed world updates are the reason for the bug. But I can’t uninstall them from the content manager.

I find another problem. There is no delete button appearing in the content manager. So I am unable to delete the content I choose. Maybe that’s also the reason why my shrinkable game list.

This is so odd. I re-installed the game Again. During the downloading ,launched the game when it said it’s ok to start(about 35%). I am very glad to see the rolling cache setting is alive. I was also able to adjust it to 50 GB. (See attached). But it’s ridiculous that after the game completely downloaded it is gone again.

I am done with it. I have to give it up. Wait for fix.

Did you try/use cloud gaming since? I’m asking because I think that for me was the reason why some of the data settings disappeared. Don’t know that for sure however.

I noticed this clouding gaming issue. Someone took about it in this thread. You mean turning off the cloud gaming? But I am not sure whether I am using cloud game or not . I don’t know where to find clouding gaming option.

I am sure there is no such option in xbox setting. But I did tried to use Xbox app to remote playing game on my mobile. Is this cloud gaming? If it is, how to turn it off?

For cloud gaming you can use your PC, Tablett or Smartphone and you need to hook up an Xbox controller to it … which is currently the only supported control device. As you said you tried it from your smartphone your profile was updated already. There’s no switch off/on or something just when you use it once your profile is updated and that is what I think started the problem with the missing data settings for me.
In any case: you somehow need to get on that panel (on your Xbox) where you have the Option to shrink your game(s) and follow the procedure described above. I have no clue why you have problems in getting there. On the other hand: you seemed to somehow solved the “missing data entries” once so you could try again and after that just try to avoid using fs2020 in the cloud… at least to proof that your data entries are back.

Yes, I did use Xbox controller to remote play games on my mobile. Maybe that is the reason for the bug ,not the world updates.

If so, this is turned out to be clear that cloud gaming caused the rolling cache disabled. This is really a bug. This should help msfs team to find the way to fix it.

I think I can try load the msfs game on my mobile to see if it will appear in the shrinkable game list. I remember Hanso did it to test whether it is game related issue or profile issue.
If it doesn’t work, I will download more games to trigger the shrinking. Now my storage is about 50% full. What is ur storage usage percentage before shrinking?

Another point: I reviewed the whole thread. someone had pointed out that the delete button of content manager was missing too due to this bug. I confirm it. Can you delete the content through content manager now after rolling cache setting is restored?

I think there is no limitation so you should see the shrink option as soon as you have added one World Update at least.

For me the delete option for the EDDS (Stuttgart) airport was missing. After the shrinking action I had to reinstall WU 1…6. After that I also had the option back to delete it as it was part of the WU5 (?) Update.