Round the world in a X Cub

Run into some icing, pitot is frozen over, climbing higher to try to get over the clouds and into the sun. Does seem to be slowly melting.

2 Likes

Amazing :astonished:

going to have to drop down in the soup. Too cold and too much ice. Going down to about 1000 MSL to warm weather. At least there is noting for 400 miles to hit.

2 Likes

900 feet but at least ice free. May divert to Shemya, it does have an ILS and adds only 35 miles to the next leg.

3 Likes

Made to Casco Cove, weather improved and was able to see the island to land.

4 Likes

Liking your posts. I’m into leg 6 of my journey in a TBM - although I’m killing the fuel consumption by flying at 2,000ft or so the whole way!

See my post here if you are interested

By the way, try the drone cam to set up your shots which also hides the instruments from the external views. Also, in case you’ve not done it yet, you can assign key mappings to properly pause the game (not active pause) to set up your shots and get a good look at the scenery with the drone cam:

Keep going with your thread, will be great to hear more.

1 Like

Safe travels Eric, you’ve inspired me to start my own trip with an XCub, first leg done!

3 Likes

Thanks! I have had a few near misses with icing. Once you get up to about 400 feet start playing with the mixure to stretch the fuel, I run about 50% at 5000 feet, 35% around 10,000. At 10,000 I can get between 7 to 9 GPH.

2 Likes

On my way to Russia!

2 Likes

May have to drop down again depending on cloud height but I so far I appear to be above them

2 Likes

Navigraph is good, but subscription required, c. £8 per month. I do find it easier to use than sky vector, and comes with airport sheets for all airports - sky vector seems to have this only for US airports unless I’m doing something wrong. For the subscription, you get all the regular updates though, plus the moving map works out of the box for FS2020 (and didn’t cause me any stutters). However, I’m expecting FS2020 to include NavBlue according to the partnership programme - don’t know when and don’t know if this will come at an extra cost. I’m waiting to see what happens with that.

I would also like to more accurately use fuel, ground services etc, but I’m still really just learning how to navigate, so might work up to that

2 Likes

Nice one Pilot! :slight_smile:

Maybe I will do that with my loved TBM :smiley:

2 Likes

After several years of not flying on the MSFS with this new version I decide to go back in full (rebuilding my PC expecting new video card and more memory tomorrow). So kind of new again and I had been thinking about subscribing to Navigraph and use SkyVector as well. But I just read @gordongreig post about NavBlue so I will do some research about it and perhaps wait to make the subscription decision. Your thoughts are more than welcome, thanks.

See here for details: https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-june-25th-update-navblue-and-alpha-5/

2 Likes

Three hours to go… I should have used the toilet before I took off :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hahaha. RTW in a Cub! Absolutely epic.

Enjoy and clear skies [perhaps a little light weather to spice things up] my friend.

1 Like

Made it to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, weather is improving. After getting a shot of Soviet liquid courage, I decided to take a flight around to see the sights

2 Likes

Thanks for the advices on the Xcub, really helpful!

1 Like

Nice to see this stuff. Would be interested to know what clothing the pilot would wear IRL in order to get through these notherly segments.

1 Like