Routing in MSFS is no fun at all. Stop rubber band routing. Suggest a Beginner- and a Expert-Mode

Hi,
I wonder if I any other one of you have the same issues?

If I create a route in Simbrief, Navigraph or Pilot2ATC and try to add /load this route into the World Map or enter it manually into MCDU, the route is different to the one which the programms has offer and export before. MSFS is adding navids or changing the route at least you add an approch.

I think the internal logic of MSFS is trying to prevent “discontinuous” and is working like a rubber band.
But this is a problem if you must have for 100% the same route (waypoints) if your ATC programm is offering. If not, the ATC (Pilot2ATC) is thinking you’re off curse.

So Asobo, please stop this kind of routing.
I suggest to implement

• a Beginner mode which is like as it is. With the inbuild routing it’s really easy to build a route for beginners.
    and
  • an Expert-Mode for advances users. I would like to have full control of the route.
    If I define a waypoint, then it is fixed and must not be changed by the simulator any more. If I have discontinuous I’m responsible to check this and delete them or modify the route if needed.

Kind regards
Peter

4 Likes

Good idea. You might want to post this as a wishlist itemt o get some votes? There are some threads in there already about improving the flight planning on the world map - worth a quick search

1 Like

You’re right. It’s better to raise this issue to Bugs or Wishlist. Thank you for the hint!

1 Like

As an aside, numberious reports of following:

1. Create IFR Plan in the world map, verify via the navlog. I select my type of Approach, and sometimes the ATC changes that choice, or the navaids at the destination fail to implement in the AP for the plane.
  2. Get into TBM and fly and points in Plan is not what plane flies in the sim. Try flying into Athens, GA ILS Rwy 28, it will take you around the AP about 3 times trying to figure out how to get to the Glideslope. ATC and AP’s are buggy, and different planes have different bugs or compounded bugs.
    Asobo/MS - PLEASE, PLEASE, fix the planes/ATC/NAV/Flight parameters before you spend months adding new places/airports. PLEASE FIX the flying part of the sim. I’m too busy just trying to stay alive than able to look out window and see scenery. Cannot trust any of the planes to not dive into ground at any moment.
3 Likes

If they considered making the FP work like Little NavMaps does, a list view, then we could “massage” the list anyway we want. All they would need to add is a right-mouse button capture to add user WP’s to the list. If it goes into the wrong spot in the list then gives us the ability to move it up or down or delete it from the list. Done deal!

The list-view in LNM works great.

My last long flight I forgot to save my FP from world view so I could import it into LNM. While flying, and five minutes later I had a matching FP in LNM. K.I.S.S.

My flight yesterday, using the world view FP, it had me flying into a mountain in Ecuador… Good thing I was sitting in my seat!

The world view NAVLOG window does not accurately show elevations. :roll_eyes:
LNM does. :slight_smile:

Yes, it shouldnt be that one has to employ so many tricks for a workaround.
I usually load the SimBrief flightplan, select the parking gate from the drop down menu (not via the map as this break the FP).
Than start the flight, fire up the G3000 and only then or even in flight when ATC (Vatsim) gives me the STAR, Transition, I enter it into the FP (Procedure). This way the FP does not break, but still does funny things sometimes and tries to fly back to the origin of the transition and one has to be quick to switch to HDG in order not to veer off course before catching the ILS.

Yes it could certainly improve.

1 Like

MarkRW - Download the LNM as we speak. Will look into it deeper this afternoon. Thank you for the tip, and as it turns out had the earlier version, but with all the things breaking in the sim, did not install it for fear it will cause headaches in any patch/update released from now on. If this was an OS, Microsoft would be ruined.

I have not touched my MFSF install with any add-ons for fear of breakage.

LNM see’s the data that is being generated from MFSF and uses that data. It does not make any changes to the MFSF install nor does it impact anything to do with MSFS.

Unzip it in a location of your choice, install it. It looks for the sim’s presence and does the rest. It does take some tinkering to get used to it, but you can tailor it to your liking. It uses K.I.S.S technology. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great Info to know. Will put it on this evening.

Yes, LNM works very well

1 Like

So you enter the STAR and Approach shortly before landing at the time ATC give you the instructions and this is working for you without changing other waypoints? I’ll try this will be helping.
Because I use a offline ATC tool (Pilot2ATC) I can define if ATC can assign SID/STAR/Approaches and therefore I can also create a fixed route which is not changed anymore.
The behavior where the aircraft is returning to origin I’m was facing too in before but the heading mode was my friend here too :slight_smile:

You don’t even have to wait that long. As soon as I am in the aircraft (TBM) I enter the filed STAR and expected Transition for the approach via the G3000 panel.
If Vatsim ATC gives me later a different one, I just change it. You can also change the SID if ATC tells you a different one from the one you filed. This is the only way currently which I know of, which does not break the uploaded flightplan from SimBrief.

Are you using SimBrief with the latest AIRAC cycle?

Also, I believe there is no such thing as “full control” over a route as choices are naturally limited by lots of restrictions (see AIRAC / NOTAM / weather / etc.).

Yes, have the latest cycle.
And I never have had this proplems in other flightsim.
Now I take it as it is and wait for an update which improve the routing system in msfs.

I think soem caution is required becuase if you add the STAR/APPROACH in flight, the FMC can generate an extra USER waypoint that is intended to route you into the STAR/APPROACH. However, that USER waypoint tends to be set to the waypoint in your flight plan immediately before the STAR entry point. If you happen to have a long last leg of your journey and have already past that waypoint, the USER waypoint can turn you around and route you potentially hundreds of miles backwards. The USER waypoint cannot be deleted and the leg cannot be skipped. To avoid this, I suggest adding a new waypoint in close geographical promixity to the STAR entry point before you add the STAR/APPROACH itself.

See these threads

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/random-user-waypoints-set-by-the-system-flight-plan-logic-failure-different-planes/306962?u=gordongreig

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/autopilot-u-turn-when-you-set-approach/286614

Yes. I also fell into that trap a couple of times. Really annoying.
Again a workaround. I found that going to heading mode before the plane tries to turn around and then either follow the white path on the map until it turns magenta or actively go again to the flight plan and activate leg containing the waypoints ahead.
Yeah. It should not be that so many tricks and workarounds are necessary. I am also looking forward to a fix.

Oh cool, that’s a good workaround - nice and simple! I didn’t think of that. Thanks for the tip.

You are welcome. If they ever fix the G3000 I will have to learn how to use it properly and untrain all these workarounds :wink:

1 Like

You’re not wrong!

1 Like