Rtx 3080 vs 3090

anyone have info on the performance benefits of the 3090 vs 3080.

i noticed that increasing SS impacts the GPU usage directly. i guess this means that a 3090 will allow you to play at higher resolutions. this could be handy specially with the reverb g2.

anyone have any info/data on 3080 vs 3090 benchmarks of MSFS 2020 in VR ?

No differences between 3090 and 3080 in any games (VR or not)

1 Like

that is a very subjective statement.
there are obviously differences. my question was not whether the differences are significant or worth the $ because that is again subjective to the individual and how he views price/performance.

here is a benchmark of the two cards showing differences in performance (NON VR)

3 Likes

It’s a fake test.
If 3080 runs 50 probably 3090 runs 52, no more.
It’s the same in all apps and games.

1 Like

oh ok - so you have tested both ?

This is such bull…

I have a 3090, my friend has a 3080, there are massive differences, you are looking at around 8-15fps out the box more FPS on a 3090, with FS you will be VRAM limited on a 3080, 3090 takes the lead again.

If you overclock them you can gain another 10% ontop again.

If you are using RTX, then again 3090 leaps ahead due to the RT and Tensor extra cores.

Yes a 3090 will be far more performant in VR, but at double the cost? Probably not wait for the 3080ti :slight_smile:

4 Likes

im not seeing much vram usage though - max 7-8 gb, averrage 4-5 gb.

do you think MSFS will use the 24gb of the 3090?

Depends what res you play at, not sure what your VR unit does. At 4k with ultra textures i go into the 12gb of VRAM a fair amount.

is this allocation or actually used vram?

The 3090 should be around 10 to 15 % faster than a comparable 3080, in theory, meaning FS needs to be able to take advantage of it. Also if you can overclock the 3090, then you can also overclock the 3080…

So, honestly, by “far more performant” is a pretty bold claim.

1 Like

And that is what we’re seeing in some tests.

Does 10-15% performance gain justify doubling the price of the graphics card? If you’re concerned about price and only want a Flight Simulator graphics then no.

The 3090 starts to shine in situations when you’re really taxing the GPU such as 4k and VR. On my tuned and overclocked 5000 series Ryzen, I’m GPU bound with the 3090 when playing in 4k. I just dial down the render scaling a bit with little loss in quality and it’s super smooth in 4k and smooth enough in VR.

1 Like

i have a rift s so doesnt do much but i have noticed that SS increases gpu usage a lot.

ive ordered a G2 so il be running it at that res. what kind of performance gain do you think i can expect with a 3090 in a G2 compared to a 3080?

The 3090 really isn’t worth it unless you are just wanting the absolute fastest card and money isn’t an issue. (I have a 3090)

I only have a 3090 because that’s all I could manage to buy 2 or 3 months ago. If all cards were available I’d get a top end 3080, like a Asus ROG, FTW3, etc… Get one with a high power limit and good cooling to maximize its performance.

Thats complete nonsense. There is a difference. The price to performance is just not worth it but saying they perform the same is just not true

yes i understand price to performance may not be worth it. but again, that is subjective. some people may want the absolute best performance at any cost.

just trying to gauge what kind of performance bump can be expected in VR

I have a 5950X (Turn SMT OFF and PBO ON for crazy fps gains!) + 3090FE + G2. I’m maxing out all settings with 100 render scale TAA enabled, ultra on everything you name it. In Open XR I’ve disabled reprojection and fixed the render to 100%.

The performance and image quality is simply outstanding. VRAM usage (alloc not used) is regularly into 14-16GB territory, so the “more than 10GB VRAM is useless” brigade don’t know what they are talking about as those comments are made by youtubers who only bench games not FS2020 for VR with SS in mind! I think my FPS is around 30fps, maybe a little lower in some cases, but I can’t tell as I don’t even bother monitoring the FPS anymore as it looks so good.

If you are considering a 3090 or 3080Ti then I’d recommend it as most people on the forum I have seen are complaining with the 3080’s performance, whereas I am able to max everything with smooth play.

5 Likes

Yes, I believed those Youtubers until I first fired up HL-Alyx with my newly purchased G2 and 3080 and saw a waning message pop up: “Your available VRAM is Low!” Oh, ■■■■.

I saw another video reviewing 3090 claiming 4K has reached the limit of human perception and there is no point in going any further. I was like, talk to the MSFS VR players.

4 Likes

A 3080 with 16MB Vram would be the sweet spot according to youre expirience? I always belived the higher the resolutions, the more VRAM is needed. I bought me a 6800XT 16MB card because of that (Not yet recived). What is the the peak of VRAM used ever on ultra and what frames do you get, when using med settings? Just curious if I should cancel my order and go for a 3090 instead.

I have a 3090 and a 5600x and I have everything set to low in game with a Pimax 5k+ HMD and it struggles to get over 30fps on the ground. I wonder if OpenXR with the G2 directly is smoother than using SteamVRs OpenXR with other HMDs. For me render Res makes little to no difference from anything below about 110 as it doesn’t max out the GPU at all. What’s wierd is the max single core usage of the cpu still only goes to around 60% and the GPU around the same but both show a shocking frametime of 25-35ms!! For me this is awful and immersion breaking. I play DCS with far higher visual settings using smart smoothing (ASW) locked at 45fps with Foveated Rendering enabled and that’s much nicer than the current experience in MSFS for me. In short the 3090 is great when allowed to stretch it’s legs but for me on MSFS2020 it just seems to sit there doing sod all, while the framerate is still terrible, at least in VR.

I am hopeful it’s just a bug somewhere or something that will be massively improved/fixed as the potential for this sim in VR is incredible if it can make proper use of the hardware available.

I didn’t notice much of a performance difference between ultra and medium so I just went with ultra. Peak usage seems to be around 16gb mark, honestly I don’t look at the metrics any more.

An important factor in VR it seems is min frame rates more than absolute FPS, for that reason at higher resolutions the 3090 GDDR6X could be better than the Radeon but it needs to be verified.

I think the 3080Ti would be the sweet spot indeed, the 3090 is slight overkill but we didn’t have another option at the time. The mem speed on the Ti is slightly lower but I’m sure you could overclock it anyway. If you’re happy spending the extra on the 3090 then it probably makes sense to go for that given you are highly unlikely to be able to get a Ti at launch.

I am using the windows store edition so I don’t have this issue with steam VR.

There is a difference indeed:
VR vs Quality Sacrifice - #28 by CptLucky8

1 Like