Rtx 3080 vs 3090

Could you please give approximate frames or % gain from turning SMT off/ PBO on?

In Tom’s Hardware article I’ve seen 5950x did not have any significant gain from PBO (unlike 5900x/5800x/5600x). But I have not seen any benchmarks for SMT with Ryzen 5k series.

I had the 3080 for 2 months now and I’ll say it’s better than my 2070, which BTW is not bad… As far as the 3090 goes, all the reviews I’ve seen or read don’t put it much higher in performance in games especially MSFS 2020. Maybe with future updates and optimizations all GPUs will benefit? But 60-70 FPS seems to be the limit @ the moment, and that’s with the 3080/90 AND with some settings on medium or high. Yes, i’m getting 35-50 FPS with very little stutters making final appraoch to land @ London, NYC, LA, Frankfurt, Tokyo even! All this on Ultra settings @ 2K. That is how the sim configured on its own as it installed on my PC. On my 2070 on ultra max settings… Forgedaboutit! 11-23 FPS. So in conclusion, until I get my greedy hands on a Asus TUF 3090, which BTW I want to cause I can afford it and want to flex on the forums how I have the 3090 blah blah blah(at least I admit it), I’ll continue to enjoy MSFS with my new gadget the wonderful 2K king Asus Tuf 3080.

1 Like

Have you tried VR? It uses a ton of VRAM and that is my main reason to consider 3090.

One thing is the assigned VRAM and the other is the actual VRAM.
Tools like msiafterburner only show the allocated VRAM, not the one it actually consumes.

In the developer options you can see the two parameters.

With my 3080 it allocates 9gb of VRAM to me, but it only consumes 6gb really with my HP Reverb G2 and high settings.

I’m adding my 2c even though it’s a bit late.
I bought the 3090 after selling my 3070 primarily because i use P3Dv5 as well as msfs2020 and the 8GB of VRAM wouldn’t allow me to run the former.
Now I run both sims with sliders all the way to the right and get great performance with xp11.

1 Like

I don’t use VR, however at 5120x1440 all ultra settings and LOD changed to 400/500 my 3090 uses up to 18+gigs of vram confirmed with dev mode, so that’s why i bought the 3090, the 3080 didn’t have enough vram for my needs.
I was bottle necking vram on my 2080ti with 11GB
Even if LOD is set at std 200 it can go over 13GB of vram, I might have considered the 3080ti 20GB if they had bought one out, but for now my 3090 is great for me .

You might want to read this:
[HOW-TO] Graphics Settings and Performance Guide - Discussion Thread - #62 by CptLucky8

And this:
MSFS forums claiming 64GB of Ram helps on 3090s - Page 6 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

I can only confirm that the amount of VRAM memory will be absolutely crucial if you want to get the most out of G2 headset. 8GB will definitelly not let you set the resolution to 3100x3100 (been there, done that). At the time I bought my 3070 there was no other option but base on my current experience I wouldn’t even consider the 3080 as it is still only 10Gb…Get 3090 or wait for 3080Ti if that will ever hit the market.
6800XT is another option but it looks like ppl have still some serious troubles with stability.

2 Likes

My 3080 seems fine, so far, but kind of borderline fine. Even HL-Alyx would periodically complain about VRAM, although it carries on just fine afterwards.

I watched those YouTube reviews and (wrongly) reached the conclusion that a 3090 is completely pointless. What I didn’t realize then was that those guys have no interest, and, more important, zero knowledge of VR gaming. There has never even been a footnote saying “well, if you have a Reverb G2…”

2 Likes

Nvidia changed the 3080 TI specs to only have 12GB of VRAM. Not a big improvement over the 3080.

In your original Post, you mention “SS” and then in
several more Posts.

I have no idea what that means. Chevy Super Sport?

Please enlighten me. Thanks…

Super Sampling

Will i be able to run high end settings with 3080 without stuttering?

The system suitability testing in HL:Alyx is seriously borked – I get miscellaneous warnings with a 3090. Awesome game, though.

1 Like

It’s more the case that it’s less likely you’ll have stuttering at the settings you want to run it.
Peter

The bottle neck when using a 3090 is CPU. I found my CPU (AMD 5800X) showed longer rendering time than my GPU (3090) when I don’t use ULTRA settings in VR.
Therefore, to make my 3090 worth the money, I’m now using ULTRA settings and 100% scalling in VR. This push my 3090 to over 90% utilization and almost the same FPS with lower graphics settings. The VRAM usage is also over 50% (12 GB).
3090 really make a difference when you use ULTRA settings. Don’t tick down graphic settings when you have a 3090. That’s a kind of waste.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are saying.

No big FPS difference between high graphic settings and low graphic settings in VR, if your GPU is powerful.

1 Like

I’m seeing around 30fps with a 3080 and 5600 on ultra 1440p. In a dense area I’m seeing 20fps. Is there something wrong with my card?

No, I am seeing about the same with my 3090 in VR and set at 1440p high/ultra…from the MSFS Developer FPS monitor, the bottleneck is the CPU for me, not the GPU…and in fact in VR the CPU is the bottleneck for me whereas back in 2D then I can crank up the graphics to 4k High/Ultra before I see any bottleneck and then in 2D it tends to be a mix of GPU/CPU bottleneck. I think VR is poorly optimized for MSFS and it appears to be more taxing on the CPU in VR more quickly as a limiter. BTW, I have rarely seen the GPU memory for my 3090 get above 10-11 gb for the planes/areas I fly so I think the infamous 3080Ti (if every available) would be the best for this sim. I have seen many posts that folks bought 3090 only because they couldn’t get a 3080 (there was no 3080ti with more VRAM) and they could afford the huge cost increase of the 3090. Heck, I am seeing Dell R11s hit the Facebook and Ebay marketplaces without their 3080 or 3090 cards as folks just buying that computer for the GPU since Dell doesn’t appear to be charging the scalper mark up on those cards so folks buy the whole PC, take out the card, and sell the rest of the parts. The entire GPU market is insane due to the crypto miners and it’s screwing over any normal user who can’t afford to pay the price. Can’t wait to see the nutty prices folks will want for a 3080ti when it comes out.

1 Like