RTX 3080ti - OMG!

Spent the weekend doing a new PC build and I was more than blown away by the results! My Quest 2 headset performed like I didn’t think was possible! It’s an amazing headset.

I went from an FX8350/GTX 1070 to a Ryzon 5800X on X570 chipset and RTX 3080ti. I set everything high to ultra and was greeted with the most amazing VR experience. Everything was so smooth, colors were more vibrant, lighting effects were better, no latency, smooth as butter.

I was stunned by how clear the PFD was. It was razor sharp. I could even read the AP buttons between the PFD and MFD on the Bonanza without having to lean in.

This also translated to an easier flying experience. I think I was able to react a little more instinctively given how smooth everything was.

The only disappointment was the Samsung 980 Pro on PCIe 4.0 still takes a good while to load the sim and flight. Not as bad, but just nothing to blow away like the visual improvements.

5 Likes

I could imagine! Those FX chips are pretty bad especially for flight sims and I have a feeling that 1070 was not able to see full potential with that CPU. Congrats on your upgrade.

Now I’m scratching my head wondering what everyone with the high end rigs are complaining about, lol. It was way better than my expectations. Which almost never happens.

2 Likes

Maybe the Quest 2 is easier on the CPU or GPU than the HP G2.

Could be. I was just astounded by the sharpness, lack of shimmer, smoothness and latency.

I also use Virtual Desktop. Which was recently updated.

I can try native Quest airlink again but I suspect it will still be a mess.

I also want to try upscaling some in OpenXR and see how that goes.

I don’t have VR, but my 3080ti is incredible!! In my opinion, it is absolutely the best GPU in the market.

I do not regret spending so much money on a GPU and I am really glad I made the move.

Next toy, will be VR.

2 Likes

What resultant render resolution are you running with the Quest 2? Developer mode FPS view when you are in VR will tell you. Post up a screenshot of it please.

The native resolution of the G2 is higher than the Quest 2 so it does take a little more grunt to run it. That being said from my experience the G2 is far better optimised with the sim than the Quest 2 ever was for me so maybe its a case of six of one, half a dozen of another when it comes to performance.

The load times for the sim are terrible regardless of what you’re storing it on. Especially once you’re community folder starts filling up.

2 Likes

Airlink works better for me over Virtual Desktop. Sharp and smooth

Virtual desktop ultra mode for me, hevc and 80% gamma

Native for the Quest 2. I had OpenXR set to 100% FSR with 20% sharpening. Steam VR was at 100% as well. Normally Steam recommends something higher but in this configuration it was 100% as well.

Anyway, I thought the blurriness I had before was the Quest 2. I was in shock at how sharp it looked.

I haven’t messed with any other settings yet since I was blown away from my initial settings. I’m pushing the framerates low (20-25 fps on the ground with OpenXR toolkit overlay), but I can’t detect the frames. It feels like a native Oculus 2 app running at 90 MHz. Perhaps it’s Virtual Desktops Synchronous Space Warp?

1 Like

After some reading I think the Virtual Desktop Synchronous Space Warp is giving me the ultra smooth feeling. I had this on with the GTX1070 as well but the effect wasn’t as pronounced and I had considerable lag I did not know was there as I had gotten used to it.

I’ll experiment some over the coming days but it works so nice I almost don’t want to mess with anything.

I would be interested to know what you find in your experiments. I have always disabled the VD SSW as it had some artifacts and could only lock to 50% refresh rate (ie you would need 45fps to run at 90hz).

However like you I have always been impressed with the feel of the quest 2 even at low frame rates, before I tried VR I thought that 25fps would be impossibly horrible. My uneducated theory is the game is rendering a wider FOV than you can see in the headset, and then the quest 2 is holding that frame steady in midair whilst updating your head position at 90hz. So when you rotate your head to the right, you feel the response of 90fps but the new image at the right of the screen is actually just a different part of the same 25fps frame that was rendered earlier. Of course if you turn your head wider than the FOV before the next 25ps frame comes in then you see the black edge of frame and the illusion is spoiled a bit.

I haven’t noticed any black edges with the 3080ti yet. I was even looking faster than I typically do to test it. On the 1070 I would always see that when I turned too fast. It felt like a native Oculus 2 app.

I have only used it at night time, so it’s possible I may have missed artifacts that are visible in daytime with SSW.

I did run the headset on it’s lowest refresh rate and 90 Hz but I couldn’t tell any difference.

About 3 weeks ago I just upgraded my GTX 1060 6 GB card to an Asus ROG Strix OC 8 GB RTX 3050 card and see vast improvements in the sim. I’m only running on 1920 x 1080 as that is the native res of my monitor. I can run everything at Ultra.

I’m having the same experience with an 11700K / 64 GB, brand new 3080TI and HP Reverb G2 and the same settings. I did have to turn down the Terrain LOD from 300 to 200. But other than that I have pretty much everything at Ultra and, as noted, I didn’t bother turning down anything in OpenXR.

I tried SSW on and off at 60 and 90 Hz. I couldn’t really tell much difference. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

They both just looked good.

The issues I do see: For example, on the Bonanza, the tail number plate and dashboard aren’t smooth looking when I pan my head. Other things on the dash are similar but once I’m flying I don’t notice at all. It’s sharp, near field objects that look unsmooth. I suspect it’s from pushing quality over framerate. But I prefer the good quality.

Then I tried going back to the Oculus Link on the cable. It was terrible. It looked like grainy VHS video and had shimmers and glitches. Colors were also washed out.

Then I tried Oculus Airlink. It looked like good quality SD television, with the same shimmers, fuzzy edges, glitchy video and washed out colors.

I promise myself to never go back to Oculus desktop streaming. Everyone’s setup is different but this has been my experience on two different systems so far. Virtual Desktop just looks 1,000x better, if not 10,000x better.

I wonder if some of the G2 upgrade experiences have to do with the Oculus 2 streaming software?

I also tried OpenXR Toolkit at 90% and 80% resolution. I couldn’t visually tell an impact to framerate but some sharpness was lost. So I’m sticking to 100% scale.

OK I have upgraded to the 3080TI using quest 2 but can’t say I can max everything to Ultra. Definitely not. I could set some of my settings higher. But only some on ultra. Grass is even all turned off. I use a cable for VR though and there is a setting in the quest dev tool I have to disable to get it smoother otherwise it’s just a mess. But it’s good enough, if the FS2020 would fix the bugs. For now I can’t use the tool bar, so FS has been parked all month.
Virtual Desktop without cable makes it worse. But my modem is not the newest.

I purchased my 3080ti few days ago. And you’re absolutely right, OMG what an experience! Coming from my 2080 super. The 3080ti is an absolute treat and a beast. Goes great with my overclocked i9 11900k (up to 5.3ghz) and 64GB Ram 3200mhz.

Everything on ultra and few high with my VARJO Aero. And very high setting in Varjo base software. So my render scale in game is at 100 which is 3620 x 3430 or something like so. I’m very impressed how smooth with ultra settings and all traffic on even AIG AI traffic. Of course I can make it very butter smooth if I lower the render but loving the quality

2 Likes