RTX 3080ti - OMG!

I’m hard wired to a good WiFi 6 router and it’s amazing!

I’ve also banned Netgear networking equipment from my house as they are worse than Boeing with software. Just say no to Netgear.

But that is also a knock against Virtual Desktop. You need a spot on WiFi AP that you have a hard wired Ethernet to. Which not everyone can do.

I’ll have to give the Varjo resolution a try! Not as worth it on a Quest 2 but may give me an idea.

By the time I upgrade to that we’ll be on 40xx or 50xx series.

1 Like

I have very similar rig…Ryzen 9 5900X same mother board and RTX3080ti…32Gb 3200 ram…2 x 1TB Nvme’s…load time to world map is approx 4 mins…(mind you, I have over 300GB of add ons in the Community folder!)…about 5 months old now…locked in at 30fps with vsync on…but am not a VR user…Trackir 5 instead…sliders set to the right…everything on Ultra…very pleased to say smooth as butter…unless panels are undocked…then only slows down when very near ground. Like you, I am a very satisfied vegemite.
I use a combination of Air Manager and Simplugins on a 3rd and 4th screen…so undocking of PFD and ND screens are not a priority.

I read those cards will be around $3500 even $5000

3080TIOC eliminates stutters in VR compared to the 2080TIoc. Beast mode :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What does this show up as in Developer Mode FPS view? eg. the numbers in the circled area as shown render resolution

I’m asking as I run a G2, so the headset native resolution is different, my OXR setting is different (80%) and hence the resultant render resolution you are running at is likely different too. I just want to see if you are running near the same resolution as I am (~2800x2800) and getting such good performance.

It sounds like you came to all the same conclusions I did ! I posted about it in the toolkit thread I think. I am using a bit of the ffr function at high values of 80 and 90% (outside my fov) but the FPS benefit is small. I’m also using it for colour correction on top of the virtual desktop gamma adjust.

1 Like

PS if you are not already using it, hevc codec is recommended for 30 series cards on the Vd streamer app.

1 Like

I do wonder if there is something about Virtual Desktop and the Quest 2 that helps with framerate issues?

The only issue I can see is tearing on some close field objects. In the Bonanza it happens to the tail number plate when I pan my head. But I only notice when stationary on the ground. When flying it isn’t noticable.

I experimented with the fov settings. Interesting how on a narrow setting you can see the degraded video. It was too distracting on the agressive setting. But I couldn’t perceive better frame rates.

It really doesn’t do any good for people to post their experience with the 3080TI without listing their WHOLE system list.

MSFS with or without a 3080TI isn’t going to perform as well on a 4790K as it does on an 11700K or whatever.

I’m running a G2 on an 11700K / MSI Z590 Wifi Pro / 64 GB / 3080TI, and OXR resolution at 100% and FSR turned on I think, and, as far as I’m concerned, performance is smooth as butter. So far I’ve flown in the Warrior, Ryan STA, P.149, and new Goose. I only fly GA, I’ve never flown the airliners. I’ve also never bothered to look at my FPS. All I care about is how smooth things are. I haven’t noticed any tearing or stuttering yet, but, I’ve only got a couple of hours with the 3080TI in the sim.

1 Like

Those 3050’s are well priced but I’m kinda shocked that it outperforms your 1060.

I thought I did at the top, at least the pertinent bits.

Ryzon 7 5800X on an x570 chipset motherboard.

I was going to get the Ryzen 9 but it didn’t make sense for the sim purposes since they would have been identical performance wise.

1 Like

Thank you.

Excellent reference.

Very informative.

1 Like

Here you go. I’m not sure if this is good or bad. I just know it looks way better than I’m used to, lol.

What’s causing our Vsync difference?

20220323211038_1

Now that I’ve getting much cleaner video I can see some of the issues with the Quest 2. Looking with eyes off center cause distortions and blurry images.

Thanks for posting up the screenshot. It looks about what I expected, ie. you are running at roughly the same resultant resolution as and we are getting similar FPS but from what you say earlier you have a few settings at Ultra whereas I’ve got all mine set to high, so that’s about where your 3080ti should be versus my 3080.

Re Vsync difference I’m not sure. Perhaps you are using motion reprojection, which is syncing you to 30 FPS.

I knocked most of the Ultra settings back to high since then. Although I didn’t notice anything change. Which I’ve heard other pepople say happens if you don’t bother to look at FPS. I have clouds still set to Ultra since those bother me when they look funny.

I’ll see if the Synchronous Spacewarp in VD impacts the Vsync .

My main thread looks like it’s struggling.

I run Reverb G2 revised driven by a 3080 ti. I sort of wince when I see VR users posting that they’re using multiple settings at Ultra. My preference, since I can’t tolerate the artifacts of motion reprojection, is to keep FPS at 40 since anything lower diminishes smoothness in the virtual cockpit, though 40 is definitely not perfect. Here’s the settings I use to achieve this. My “luxury” settings are cockpit shadows and windscreen effects, 'cause for me the cockpit interior experience is where immersion lives. I’d love to always use clouds at Ultra but I find that is a huge FPS killer. If the weather is bad I’ll drop clouds down to Medium to keep my 40 fps. I find the #1 FPS killer is the effective MSFS render resolution, so I now use 85% of the G2’s resolution as it strikes a good balance between FPS and visual clarity, with the help of OpenXR Tookit’s FSR filter. By no means is any of this gospel, for everyone has their preferences.