RTX 4090 performance with VR (Ryzen 5900X / Reverb G2)

With a 4090 you are more likely to be CPU bound and the most intense setting regarding the CPU is the Terrain and Object LODs. Think of them as sliders for CPU, and resolution as the slider for GPU. Once they are in balanced frame-times, you get some pretty impressive results. Crank all the other settings to max.

I know there’s a ton of people’s preferences out there. Just sharing my experience.

1 Like

Depends on CPU. For example I’m not bound in any way with terrain and Object LOD set to 250 along with TAA = 100. I have stable 42 fps in dense areas with MR turned off, with G2 and i7-12700K + 4090 with 32Gb DDR4 RAM. But this is after I stopped stupid holographic logs. With those enabled I barely had 20 fps, more like 12 in dense areas. Even turning my head caused heavy stutters with that enabled. But still I think that there’s a room for improvement with 22H2 and nVidia - because there is performance problems with it not fixed yet. For example even World of Warcraft wotlk classic has 100-130 fps on my system in 2k resolution after 22H2 update (while it was refresh rate locked at 165 before with vsync enabled), I just didn’t notice that for some time and now I can’t uninstall 22H2.

Is there a similar rule of thumb for us with cards like the 3080ti??

I’ve just added two touch-panels via a USB to HDMI converter and since then have seen my stats go to stable CPU limited rather than GPU limited as before.

Just wondering which setting to tweak a little to balance it up again :slight_smile:

Not so much with the 30 series. 4090 is just incredibly powerful.

Make sure you have Hardware Accelrated GPU Scheduling turned on in your Windows settings. DLSS wont work without that on. I had the same problem on my laptop, DLSS made it possible to get into VR. Without It I couldnt get playable framerates on my laptop. You should be seeing a definite improvement in framerates with DLSS. Note that VR isnt compatible with DLSS 3 only DLSS 2.

It most certainly doesn’t need HAGs to work in 2D and I can’t really see how that’s any different for VR

1 Like

I saw a youtuber apply DLSS 3 and had no improvement either. I put it down to the fact he hadn’t enabled HAGS but I might be wrong.

DLSS 3 is not currently working in VR.

I think I’m going to wait until I can buy (afford) a new 4090 + Ryzen 7900x3D combo. I was planning to upgrade my rig naxt year anawy, so I’m going to let the dust settle over the 4090-scalpers, and go with a Big Bang in '2023 :slight_smile:

DLSS in VR definitely doesn’t need HAGS lol… people just making stuff up as they go along it seems.

1 Like

Howdy. Newbie here. When you say capping the frame rate…where do you do that? In the Nvidia control panel global settings or the nvidia control panel MSFs specific settings?

@DsrtNghts

Capping your FPS in the nvidia global settings will effect all games on your PC, so probably best to do it ‘per application’ (MSFS in nvidia).

There’s 2 nvidia settings you can set:

• max FPS = this effects the game itself
  • background max FPS = this effects the game when it’s running in the background (for example, you may Alt-TAB mid-flight to check on another application on your PC and it forces MSFS to the background. Enabling a cap on this setting ensures your PC has enough free resources to enable you to multi-task between apps. In my case, I set them both to the same value (I.e., 40 FPS). I use a Quest 2 running in 80Hz mode so 40 FPS is very smooth for me.

There’s also a 3rd location you can set a max FPS cap. If you’re using the free OpenXR Toolkit, there is a cap setting on the first menu page, near the bottom. It only effects VR, but it also enables you to change the value on the fly, without having to restart the sim. I set mine to 40 there as well because I don’t change it. However, I could briefly change the FPS cap mid-game if I wanted to. For example if my PC was struggling briefly in a dense area I could lower the cap for a couple of minutes to ensure frame timing is consistent and then raise it back to 40 once out the other side. Obviously I wouldn’t be able to raise it above 40 though, because of the limit I’d already set in nvidia control panel.

Cheers,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.