RTX 4090 performance with VR (Ryzen 5900X / Reverb G2)

While waiting for the G2 v2 cable, I did some flying in the stock A320 and a Bonanza over NY with few clouds preset. Even without DLSS3 I was getting insane frame rates at 1440p, with absolutely everything maxed out, except TLOD at 150. No stutters whatsoever with mid 90’s fps. Task Manager had the GPU at 4% which can’t be right, but the temps (not hotspot) with a closed case was 42C in a 22C room. That giant cooler really works, I’d be hitting over 70C hotspot with the Radeon 6800XT.

Well, it was almost twice the price :slight_smile: But there’s no question about it: there was no way whatsoever I could get native Reverb G2 resolution and maintain any tolerable framerate with 3080, even 22.5 MR was impossible. With 4090 It’s there. 30 fps (and sometimes 45) MR lock. This is truly impressive. I can’t wait for the 7900X3D to be released to complete the build.

1 Like

Hey guys
I figure you might be interested, this is my VR New York flight with i9 13900K and RTX 4090.

I’m pretty new to this stuff and i cannot give you exact details, but from what I remember this is hi-end settings with dlss quality on SU11. It felt really smooth overall.

youtu.be/lUsZxtlBsIA

Hi 4090 folks, did you see Matt’s note in the other thread regarding DLSS 3.0 and VR?
Would love to see if 3.0 is working on 4090 in VR!

1 Like

Sorry to resume all his posts but reading him he seems to confirm than Frame Generation latency will be unacceptable in VR.
As said, retroprojection (or ASW) is creating a predictive frame, a.k.a. in advance.
Frame Generation is taking the current displayed frame and the next one not yet displayed, create an interpolated frame to display, wait, and finally display the real next frame. a.k.a. back in time.

Nice! Any coil whine at those 60ish FPS?

Mine has some coil whine at very high frame rates but at 60-80 FPS I can’t hear any and my glass side panel is currently removed while I wait for a 90 degree cable adaptor from CableMod. Then again, I’m old and coil whine is often high pitched, plus I have tinnitus in my left ear, lol. Whatever, I can’t hear any whine over the case fans on my rig in MSFS.

1 Like

Hoping somone can help with a silly/frustrating problem. How the heck do I get rid of the “CPU Headroom” or “Target Missed” info in the overlay?

I upgraded my GPU from a 3080 to 3090 (which was great). Using my optimized 3080 optimized settings, I’d get about 32 FPS with the quality I need for VR and glass cockpits (DX11, TAA, no MR). That jumped to about 43 FPS with the new card, which started me experimenting with everything from MR to DLSS and DX12 and frame limiting. I can’t deal with the artifacts of MR or the blurryness of DX12, so I just put everything back to where it was - but I cannot get rid of the “CPU Headroom” or “Target Missed” info in the overlay, which has me thinking that there’s a frame limit somewhere that I missed.

I checked the nVidia driver (global and MSFS), the sim options, and the OpenXR menu. No where do I have frame rate limited. What “target” is it reporting that I’m missing? I don’t care so much about the message appearing, but moreso the possibility I have something set that I don’t want.

Any help would be appreciated on what I’m missing!

Sounds like you have motion reprojection on, and it’s saying it can’t hit the min framerate to activate motion reprojection. It also sounds like you have one of the advanced overlays turned on if you are seeing CPU/GPU stats. You should be able to turn these off in the Open XR Toolkit menu when you’re in VR.

5800x
RTX 4090
Quest 2

Looks like something’s broken with 40 series and Nvidia drivers, because I can’t use ASW anymore and everything’s slightly stuttering even though the framerate is perfect:

And I’m not the only one:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/virtual-reality/11/502714/ghosting-and-stuttering-rtx-4090-varjo-aero/

:sweat:

Me too with a 10850k and 3090. CPU load usually only 50 to 65 percent of GPU load.

This sim is so weird. Last night with the same settings I used the day before, I had awful performance, even with a 4090. For some reason the Main and Rndr thread was way too high, while the GPU sat there doing nothing, rebooting and restarting the sim did not help. I gave up.

Today on a whim, I used DLSS Quality instead of TAA, adjusted a few settings (mostly TLOD 100 and MR off) in my usual tootling around test area near Hobart, Tasmania. I actually got the sim to run over 90fps in VR in the Stearman biplane at 1,000 feet in clear skies. I got up around 92 fps, down to around 88, depending where I looked…still on 100% OXR and 100% Render scale, Toolkit on, no FR but CAS sharpening at 60%.

It all looked pretty good too, including the steam gauge instruments. :smiley:

1 Like

90fps in VR, nice! What CPU are you running?

5800x3D with a G2 headset.

1 Like

You’ll get 90FPS above water :joy:
Don’t even expect having this above a city, unless all your graphics settings are on Low maybe.

Sure, still a nice milestone for VR! We’ll get there in the end.

Or, at UT25 Monument Valley, a very nice and light scenic.
At the very begining of VR in MSFS I was able to achieve 90fps with my Oculus Rift CV1 at TAA 100% renderscale. Blurry, but smooth :slight_smile:
It could have some advantage to have only 1080x1200 per eye :wink:

With DLSS your GPU goes way down. I would imagine with the 4090, that 1440p isn’t pushing the too hard and the DLSS is reducing the workload even further. How far we’ve come!

i don’t see much difference with TAA or DLSS in framerates or performance, TAA still gives a more sharper image. I guess the drivers for 40 cards aren’t optimized yet for DLSS.

But the 4090 gives me an average of 75 to 80 fps at rural areas, it still strugles in new york for example but now i can at least fly near it

(4090, 5800x3d, valve index)

Valve index has much lower resolution (1440 x 1600 per eye, or 2.3MPixels) so it’s feasible with 4090 and 5800X3D, which is actualy the absolute best possible combination you can buy for gaming, you can get by without MR at those kind of framerates. Even this combo would most likely struggle with Reverb G2 (2160 x 2160 per eye, or 4.7Mpixels! Twice as much pixels as Index to drive!). So MR is a must. But with MR I can now fly in dense areas within 31FPS MR lock, and rural areas with 45FPS MR lock. It’s just those random stutters that are annoying…