Rudder issue after recent update

Up-date; have found Pilot assist defaulted to Easy–reset to Medium, all control assists had defaulted from “custom” to factory settings but not control sensitivity—still at “custom” settings on rudder – I had wider deadzone and a non-linear control curve giving less control surface movement for initial pedal movement.
Reset these to default factory settings too.
Hey Presto pre flight check on all 'planes in Hangar were “good to go”!
Test flight in ZLIN SAVAGE CUB—pefect, in real time weather today (SE ESSEX), 24 knot wind on 340 hdg—take off and landing on 02 strip with full control to touch down—taxi to apron fine.
I wonder if the up dates only correctly configure with everything set to “default”?

That would be great if true… Still a rookie and flying with some assist. I have turned auto-rudder off, and like others found it doesn’t help. Have tried different planes as well… still no joy.

Just another update or patch away…

Ken-W9KB

3 Likes

Yes! Same issue here. I found that reloading the same aircraft use the dev panel fixes the problem. Have to do it again next time I fly though.

So I’m not having rudder issues, but on every aircraft my throttle is acting strange. It increases and decreases power on its own without me doing anything. I’ll just be taxing and then randomly the throttle goes to full TOGA power.

Could this also be related to settings being messed up with the update?

1 Like

As SpiralQuill3271 also reported, my MSFS app defaulted to Easy mode after update… Switching to Medium resolved the issue(s) and was a much better flying experience.

Ken-W9KB

And count me in on this as well. Once I set every option to Medium, I could taxi properly after landing, the trim settings held and the trim wheel also worked. Also a much better flying experience - far more realistic - bumpy ride, cross winds and up/downdrafts to contend with and careful rudder control needed on take-off.

Same problem here. Throttle randomly jumping from idle to full power or anything in between without any reason and without touching anything. Completely ruined my approach yesterday.

Try resetting from “Easy” to “Medium” and all other sensitivity settings to default then restart.
Having got into Simulation in lockdown with only 80hrs ish in the 'book, “medium” is closer to the real thing and easier to control the 'plane than “easy”----albeit only in “old skool” kit that clonks & creaks with whirly bits up front and gets chucked around by the weather!!
Hopefully, the whiz guys & gals in Silicone Valley are trailing this and tell us more???

1 Like

Update:

So I believe I fixed my throttle issues. Like I had seen, SU7 seemed to reset my assistance settings to easy. Once I set them to “True to Life,” my issue disappeared and I’m flying normally again with no wonky throttle issues.

Anyone else experiencing this issue should definitely check their assistance settings after SU7.

I had a flight today where even after setting my Assist options to Medium and turning off all Auto options on piloting (rudder, etc.), the rudder did not do what I commanded of it while on the ground. In the air it seemed ok.

True. Previously I was able to compensate the erroneous ground roll physics* by “Takeoff Auto-Rudder”. Once wheels left ground the aircraft turned into the wind as expected.

(*) The crosswind effect should kick in once wheels have left ground, but it is bound to a certain speed - probably as a work around (was confirmed to be fixed in future update as per recent Q&A) …all relating to CJ4 or larger aircraft.

Now, after the update, it appears there is no impact by the wind at all, neither during ground roll, nor after lift off.

You do now have the choice between a screwed up roll or not experiencing any crosswind impact at all :confounded:

Tried everything above with the rudder issue plus I also have been having mixture issues since SU5 - unfortunately it randomly goes to cutoff and cannot be corrected without a restart, I move it (with mouse, with best mixture key, any option really) and it moves back to cutoff. At least its giving me tons of practice with emergency landings.

On the rudder issue, I’ve tried different controls and bindings. I tried even just plain binary key bindings (instead of an axis) and it still self centers. I have noticed if I keep applying new rudder inputs it continues to follow that input - I’ll explain, if I flutter the rudder slightly (easier to do on an xbox controller than pedals) it will vibrate a little but generally stay put, If I keep it steady in one spot or peg it to one side it drifts back. Of note, I have no assists on other than attempting to play with assists to see if it fixed it. In the key binding and sensitivity screen it shows the axis position properly with no strange behavior.

Looks like its wait until hotfix for me - this mixture issue had me waiting since SU6 now to really get back into playing :man_shrugging:

Unless I am reading this wrong that isn’t correct (other than the point that crosswind effect is incorrectly bound to speed vs. state of flight). IRL your plane will weathervane on the ground - the rear stabilizer gets hit by the crosswind and rotates about your main gear thereby yawing the front of your plane towards the wind. After you leave the ground there is no pivot point so you no longer weathervane, you may intentionally crab into the wind to avoid drift downwind but that’s not the same as weathervaning. What doesn’t happen though and should is your downwind wing should be forced into the ground (or at least towards it) and you should be compensating by taking off with full aileron defelction into the wind, reducing as appropriate for the amount of wind as you pick up speed.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I do not have real life experience with weathervaning, but my statement is based on a discussion on the WorkingTitle discord channel back in October. I read that tires are good at compensating the weathervaning effect. Any way, in the sim I am used to apply slight rudder and I believe the effect gets smaller with increasing size of aircraft (that’s why I referred to CJ4 or larger).

In the end the actual issue is the crosswind effect incorrectly bound to speed as you wrote. I hope Asobo will fix this soon, now that they broke the not 100% correct but still feasible workaound with the “Takeoff Auto-Rudder” assistance.

The last update ruined the pedals behavior (PC)…!!!
The pedals are working properly according to the TM Control panel. The problem is, in FS, when I set a rudder position with the pedals, the rudder
on the plane moves to the position I set and then immediately returns back to the neutral position even though I have not changed my pedal position. Landing and taxiing is an impossible task.

1 Like

Still no word on whether Asobo are even planning on fixing this rudder issue which is making the sim unplayable…

1 Like

Have posted the issue with rudder “auto-centering” after the last MSFS update, have solved this problem working around and found that after the update, in “Assistance Options > Piloting” the “auto-rudder” assistance was turned “ON”, seems that after the update all the custom features were “resetted” to a fully assisted flight. It worked for me, check out and test it, give this a chance, maybe this can be helpful.

@AgustinPT65 Doesn’t help for me. Everything is turned off and set to HARD.

I’m now at the point where I’m going to delete all the input keys and only assign the Num 4 and 6 to the rudders.

Strange thing is when you set everything to EASY, it works, when you change one assistance option for instance to show an airport poi it already breaks the whole system.

Yes, you´re right, next time i´ve played, I found the same extrange behavior at landing and at taxiing, using the MILVIZ FG-1D have noticed at the very beginning of the flight that the rudder trim was offset by zooming it in the external view, then after re-centering it to a total neutral position, have experenced rare unwanted imputs at landing, caused by assistance “Objectives”, that is, no matter the inputs are, the MSFS will to guide the aircraft at the very middle of the runway ignoring your commands. I´ve switched off every Assistance Option, but everytime that I start MSFS they come again on and I must switch them off for every single session, that´s annoying. Anyway, thet´s not a solution just a workaround by users, MSFS would offer a swiftly remedy to this… Greetings.

I have had this problem a while with a Cessna 172 and the F/A-18 has the issue ever since I’ve had it. I can not use the 18 at all. or the cessna for that matter. Unable to steer on ground. I turned off auto rudder but same issue.

1 Like