Rudder Pedal Recommendation

Hi folks. I’ve been using my Saitek pedals forever and I think they are about to quit on me. I was trying to wait for the honeycomb pedals, but it feels like they are still a ways away. Do you folks have some recommendations on some solid pedals for MSFS?

Any help is appreciated.

5 Likes

Interesting. Do you have to mount them to something or can you just set them on the floor?

I have VKB T-Rudder, which are helo style pedals with circa 8cm up-down movement and no (physical) toe brakes. They work just fine with aircraft too though, you just need to use the toe brake virtualization for differential braking. Ergonomically they go well with office chair but probably not so much with a simpit (due to moving mostly up-down).

Cheaper end for premium pedals. Don´t need mounting and very stable on the floor provided you keep the pads clean. Construction is all metal (save for the rubber pads) and the rudder axis is on magnetic sensor so they should last a long time, even up to lifetime (though to be clear I doubt for example Crosswinds are any worse for this). About only complaint I have is that it would have been nice to be able to set toe brake virtualization to axis rather than just an incremental braking button, but that´s a pure software issue and might even change at some point.

1 Like

Are these the ones that don’t have brakes?

MFG Crosswinds have brakes. VKB pedals and the cheaper Virpil ones are the ones that lack them.

I did it the easy way with 2 wooden spacer, bud you can do it either way.

1 Like

Hmm, my desk is in the middle of my room and does not have a wall to butt the pedals up against. They would need to grip the floor with something, I’m assuming these do not have that built in?

There are some „antislide sticker“ (don’t know the correct English name) under the Base, but you need clearly more force to move them, compared to cheap rudder pedals, especially when you installed the damper.
So, in your case i would build something to hold them in position.

I am a newbie to the game after waiting years to afford it. I bought the supposedly best: Thrustmaster TPR. A great build but I can’t get them to work. MSFS2020 hasn’t recognised them so I will have to look deeper into the forum. Good luck, mate.

1 Like

Another option could be the new Slaw Device Rotor pedals, which apparently don´t need mounting and have toe brakes. They are significantly more expensive than Crosswinds though.

Check out Virpil Pedals as well. Several models to choose from, excellent quality, all metal, no plastic and heavy enough should stay in place. However, I don’t have pedals, and although considered them, you only use them to steer on the ground, and slight rudder movements in air, could not justify money versus the amount of use they would get. FWIW-Virpil products keep the configuration of the unit stored in the unit itself, unlike many who offload its config to PC. To me, better option. But there is a right way and wrong way to configure them, so if you go that route, check out videos on YT showing proper order of software install, firmware updates, and configuration. Happy Flying.

1 Like

Wheel Stand Pro for Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG™, Saitek X-55, X52/Pro, X65 - Deluxe V2 - WheelStandPro is what i use for my Crosswinds and TM Warthog HOTAS.

It’s built like a tank and folds away on the off chance that you might want to use your PC for something other than flying. :slight_smile:

First of all, let’s welcome @MSFS20207856 to the forums. I hope you learn a lot around here. Thanks for diving in here to this topic. Lots of very knowledgeable folks around here. Enjoy!

I also use the Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder (TPR). Yes, they are pricey, but solidly built and work like a champ. I have them mounted on a piece of plywood under my desk (so I didn’t have to drill holes in my hardwood floors). Very accurate and super easy to use.

Here are my settings for them:

4 Likes

Another +1 for the Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder pedals. They feel super high quality and look the part. I have paired them with the Honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant and they all work great together. There are pricey but probably the best setup you can get, especially if you don’t want to have to preorder them and wait a couple months for them to be made like some of the premium enthusiast pedals.

If you can’t mount them then velcro works brilliantly. I have Playseat mat and then velcro’d the pedals to the mat. They haven’t budged in over 12 months of use, even differential breaking is fine. Without the velcro they slid all over the place.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll dig into them a bit deeper. They look nice on the surface though they appear to be on backorder with nothing posted about how long they may be.

Yes, I have something similar that I have a racing wheel attached to now. I like this option though my area is pretty tight. I may have to measure things out and see if it will fit with the Honeycomb yoke.

I haven´t used the TPRs, but my impression of them based on reviews and comments is that they are way overpriced for what they do when compared to the pedals from the various boutique brands. Or to paraphrase an Ars Technica review I just read for the new Slaw Device ( Slaw Device is back: RH Rotor Pedals rule the skies—for $475 | Ars Technica): You´d have to be crazy to buy TRPs over these hand crafted beauties.

All the boutique brands work on backorder basis, at least most of the time.

Perhaps, though makes it tough to know if they’d be available in a week, a month, or a year. The MFG’s do appear to be “in stock”, though to be fair I don’t know if that means they would ship right away.

1 Like