Rudder pedals for MSFS2020

I see what you mean. Yes, with the MFG’s you can make very fine movements, as there is no detent to traverse. They feel really nice to use, and the damper kit helps some of that snap back you would get with just the springs. I have the damper quite hard, and the spring just tight enough to stop it flapping about.

1 Like

I don’t have the damper, did think about getting them but mainly for helicopters.

I have these and love them, the favourite part of my flight setup by far. They make the Honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant feel rather cheap and plasticy in comparison.

They seem to be disliked by ultra enthusiasts for some reason, I think because they are commercial rather than boutique, but having used them for a year I struggle to see what the crosswinds or slaws do that these can’t?

These are super adjustable , you can change the height, angle and spring tension of the toe breaks to suit your fancy, and at least in my opinion they actually look good, unlike the slaws and crosswinds that look ugly to my admitedly undiscerning eye.

I don’t know if this analogy makes sense but I feel if rudder pedals were shoes, the Thrustmaster TPR’s would be a pair of attractive, black, leather Chelsea boots, whilst the slaws would be a pair of ugly, brown Birkenstocks.

Shots fired!

1 Like

Avoid CH they are awful. They are designed to double as a car pedal and hence have a heavy detent to keep them centred. Annoying in an aircraft and making them impossible to use properly in a helicopter. They also have a lot of issues with things like the brake pedal wires snapping and needing to be resoldered continually.

You can rebuild them to make them more useable (chisel out the detent, stronger springs etc) but it is a lot of work.

What is involved in making the CH pedals more usable:

I like the Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder pedals.
They do there job and they are affordable.
The pedals work great with MSFS.
The only thing they don’t have is adjustable tension, but for me the tension is just right.
I have shoe size 42 (8.5) and my feet fit perfectly on the pedals with the heel rests fitted.

1 Like

I’m using Virpils (VPC ACE Collection fitted with the “Interceptor” setup. I am very happy with them, and support was A+ when I had a little issue with them.
All metal construction and hefty!
The only thing with Virpil that could be improved is the software, but saying that it gives you plenty of configuration depth.

The only others I would consider are Thrustmaster TPR. The thing with TPR’s is that they are Thrustmaster, so certainly wouldnt be expecting the same level of service that I have gotten from Virpil if there was an issue.

anyone using VKB T-Rudder for helicopter. they look like great config if you were to flip those arms around, thus locating the pedals allot higher/upwards.
G

Has anyone got any experience of the Thrustmaster TFRP pedals for helicopter flying? I quite fancy getting myself some pedals for my VR chopper flying to get a bit of extra emersion but I am on a bit of a limited budget.

Whats good and what should I avoid?

I’ve used them for three years and still can’t see spending big bucks on rudder pedals. I am very happy with the TFRP’s.

1 Like

Thanks. They seem like quite a good buy. I don’t want to spend a lot on rudder pedals and find they’re not really for me but a pair of pedals do seem like the next logical hardware upgrade for me. I’m currently using an X-56 HOTAS. So using the twist action on that for my rudder movement.

I was also looking at the Turtle Beach Velocity One. Slightly more pricey though.

People seem happy with the Turtle Beach pedals. Some complain that the TFRP’s are too close together, but that’s never been a problem for me. If you go with the TFRP’s, don’t spend a lot of time with TM’s configuration software. Just plug them in and see if they work for you.

1 Like

Yeah thats my concern. I’ve just watched a few youtube review videos and the Turtle Beach pedals do seem really good and are pretty good value for money now they seem to have come down in price a bit. I think I’ll go for them.

I was reading this thread to help decide on a replacement for the TFRP as they are awful. I’ve had them for well over a year and I’ve tried everything to get them to work smoothly and with good control and it’s just not possible. With some effort they can be just about OK for fixed wing, but with tail draggers it’s a struggle, and they are next to useless for heli flying.

For the price they are surely better than no pedals, but I’ve read of plenty of people that bought these and found them insufficient, including myself. Better to save money and buy one set of good pedals.

I’ve had no problems with TFRP pedals for three years, including helicopters.

You’re either a lot more of an ace than me, or like flying a lot wobblier than I do. :grin::joy:

No ace, no wobble.

Maybe you got lucky with a good set, but a lot of people have issues with them being sticky which prevents the fine control needed.

These hacks help but don’t solve the problem.

Though a higher price point, I highly recommend the MFG Crosswind pedals.

Coming off the plastic Logitech G Saitek PRO Flight pedals, the Crosswinds are a much sturdier composite.
Excellent build quality and no hint of an issue in over 3 years’ heavy use.

Wider stance than the TFRP, so you’ll need some room for the swing. There are extras available to customise your pedals.

Personal preference for the Me109-style footrests as these have a lip to rest your heel on.

Thanks, I think the crosswinds are currently my #1 choice, with the damper for heli use and still cheaper than the TRP.

I ended getting myself a pair of Turtle Beach Velocity One pedals. I love them. They seem really well built and are very heavy. Not badly priced too.

2 Likes