Rudder sensitivity noticed?

Hey all - just wanted to check back in regarding the sensitivity of the rudder physics on all aircraft. I havent noticed this as something that has been noticed to patch.

Is this still perceived as an issue?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes either on or off if digital, too sensitive if using pedals, needs a lot of tweaking to get right. Can be done!

You, and I must be running different simulators in that case. My MFG Crosswinds, tweaked down to -58% are not digital! I have very good control over the rudder, and occasionally even on high crosswinds. :wink:

I still think this is a combination of an individuals configuration, and the quality of their controllers.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using the t16000 to control rudder.

Yes T16000 here too. So sensitive, even with sensitivity turned down

1 Like

Yes. I also used the t16000 joystick. Now Iā€˜m using the TWCS throttle bumpers. Both are overly sensitive especially when taking off or landing. At low speeds (taxi) they are fine though. Take off and landing is a different story. Itā€˜s basically impossible to keep the airplane centered on the runway as even the slightest input makes the airplane go crazy.

No, I perhaps did not make myself clear. Those using XBOX controllers, specically triggers, suffer major pitch and rudder problems such as all on or all off.

I use pedals.

Screwy forum today, Hobanagerik this reply was meant for you.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that somewhere else. If I remember right, it effected the triggers, and on some controllers there is a little flip switch for each side, where it altered the behaviour of the triggers. In essence, with the switch flipped one way, you only had a small amount of travel on the trigger, and flipping the switch the other way causes the trigger to have much longer travel. In one setting the trigger was not even being detected.

I think it may have been the official XBox Elite wireless controller.

1 Like

Yes and a couple of others.

Yes, I feel all controls very sensitive, but rudder control is the worst. You need to play with the curves. It makes things better, but itā€™s not very realistic. You want linear curves with analog inputs, not logarithmics because at some point in the curve the movement starts to be more speedy, losing precision.

I have to use a 3rd party utility to not only modify slightly the curves, but also defining parts of it without movement to avoid what I wrote last. The secondary effect is that I lost rudder full movement, which can be a problem while in the ground, but makes the rudder much more controlable and precise in flight.

I think we need some kind of more advanced sensitivity tweaks than the current ā€œonly curvesā€ present in the software.

May be for yoke userā€™s is not a problem because the larger hardware movement these devices have, but for hotas and pad users the current options are not enough in my opinion.

Iā€™m using pedals with 16 bit resolution by the way, which didnā€™t do a lot better than using the twist control on my X52.

3 Likes

@Volczi I use the Hotas X, which has the twist rudder. I have no problems with sensitivity once itā€™s calibrated and adjusted in the FS2020 setup.

EDIT: One more thing, I do not use any software from Thrustmaster; only the USB controller setup in Windows, and the controls menu in FS2020. Iā€™m not sure if running any additional joystick software has a negative effect on the use/sensitivity.

Yes I have rudder petals and since last update with the sensitivity -100% even I barly touch and off she goes no inbetween I canā€™t even use them anymore

1 Like

A lot of this is down to technique. Instead of pushing the pedal the direction you want to go, put pressure on both pedals, and release pressure on the opposite pedal to the desired direction. This technique gives you a lot more control, and helps prevent rudder PIOs. Any real-life pilots flying taildraggers will know just what I mean!

Also, when making a rudder correction, as soon as the aircraft starts to respond to the correction, put in a smaller opposite correction. Repeat. Your feet should be ā€˜dancingā€™ on the pedals.

1 Like

Each aircraft model may behave differently, and therefore may need to be tuned individually. Rudder sensitivity is defined in a configuration file for each aircraft, labelled FlightModel.cfg. I try to tune this for each aircraft I fly. For some, the default setting is OK, but not for others.

Any discussion above should really be taking into account not only the differing hardware, but also which aircraft is being flown.

Ideally, the config file would contain data on both the aircraft and the controller type, which would allow a more accurate simulation of the real aircraft response.

FSUIPC allows more precise joystick calibration, including limiting the max control surface deflection.

Double check that you have a rudder ā€œaxisā€ bound to the pedals, and not one of the digital commands. No matter how you set the sensitivity, at some point your rudder input will be full left or right deflection if you donā€™t have an actual axis bound.

I do have it as an axis

Hey man, thanks! I had the Thrustmaster software installed, and removing it has absolutely improved the sensitivity of the rudder. Whilst itā€™s still not perfect, its most certainly better than previously. I will try tweaking to some of the settings youā€™ve shown above and see how it goes.

FYI, Iā€™m judging most of this based on the C152 but definitely has been applicable to all aircraft in my experience.

I just checked the P51 plane on DCS World for the sake of comparison with the same hardware.

DCS has a lot better control for axis curves, deadzones and axis travel, so by tweaking a little the rudder curve, rudder control and precision is by a lot better than MSFS, with the same hardware, and with the same drivers and manufacturer software installed. Pitch and roll axis, I didnā€™t have to tweak, leaved them linear and went to flying straight out.

I donā€™t know which part is off here, Iā€™m still thinking we need more options on curve controls, and better algorithms to handle HOTAS and joysticks with less travel than yokes.