Rudder “Twitch” - All planes

Another one here with the same problem and same joystick!

I took it apart the other night and tried what has been suggested but unfortunately the problem has come back again…

There isn’t very much slack on the wires that go up to the hat switch/top buttons. I think it might be better if they can be routed the other side of the screw hole tunnel so they’re nowhere near the pot. Does anyone know how long they actually are and how much slack there is inside the base? Before I go and rip them off haha

Hmm, I’ve been having issues with my rudder pulling me pretty hard to the left when the plane is on the ground when using the sidestick. I don’t want to have to take the thing apart, but now you have me wondering…

Hey there, having issues with my sidestick as well, though not quite the same twitch. I find that I get a rudder pull hard to the left while the plane is on the ground, but it corrects above a certain speed or when I get into the air. I tried disassembling, but didn’t see anything that looked too out of the ordinary (although I’m not entirely sure if I know what I’m looking for). Any ideas?

Just took mine apart, there seems to be plenty of slack taped in at the base, probably at least 4-6 inches worth.

1 Like

Thanks! Took it apart again and it seems that in my case removing the locking pin/button at the bottom of the grip which locks the twist has sorted the issue. Not sure why this is as the piece is nowhere near the pot or the wiring…

Just means I have a hole at the base where the button used to be now.

1 Like

I struggled with this massively frustrating problem for weeks to the point that it was ruining the simulation. I eventually found another solution to the sensor & wiring problem mentioned above which may help without needing to (partially) dismantle the stick. This fix is only useful if you’re also using rudder peddles.

On the TCA Airbus stick, Controls > Sensitivity > Joystick R-Axis Z , I noticed the rudder was sometimes moving independently of any axis Z (Rudder) input, it moved even more on its own when operating the X & Y axis (Pitch & Roll). This happened even when the Z axis (Yaw) control on the stick was locked. I found that effectively “turning off” the Rudder axis Z stopped the Rudder Twitch and made taxing, takeoff, landing, and all flying without Autopilot On fun again.

I changed the sensitivity to:
Sensitivity - set to -100%
Sensitivity + set to -100%
Dead Zone set to 100%
Neutral set to -100%
Extremity Dead Zone set to 100%
Reactivity set to 0%

This gives a “flat line” on the Axis Z and also gave me my game back, I hope this solution can help someone else.

1 Like

This may be another issue that is sim-related. I have noticed the rudder issues on the ground during takeoff or landing roll. I’ve noticed it very prominently in the CJ4.

Yeah, I think I’ve settled that the game is trying to simulate a torque pull to the left on takeoff, but it’s just doing it at such a strong rate that it’s unmanageable for me in certain planes. Until I get proper rudder pedals, I’ve just turned on the rudder assist at takeoff and I don’t feel too bad about it.

1 Like

Can you please guide throught the process? what did you unsrew to check the cables?
the bolts on the left side of the stick? the base?
I dont wanna mess this out…

This post on Reddit explains how to take it apart with pictures.

You don’t need to do the trimming of the plastic bit that he talks about in the Reddit post. Just pull some more slack in the wires and try and separate them out away from the potentiometer and that should improve the situation with the rudder flutter.

Hi everyone. I have same stick which is having rudder control issues but different.
When flying MSFS2020 I can taxi before take-off and control rudder in flight with no problems.
Everytime now when I land it does the flicking when taxiing AFTER landing.
As soon as I resume game again with another airport I can Taxi OK again.
This only occurs after landing so I don’t think my issue is joystick related.
Any idea’s please.

Different aircraft has different adverse yaw characteristics. One way I could think of to figuring out this issue is for you to try flying the jet turbines e.g. B747, A320 or Cessna Citations and see if the problem still occurs.

Hi, I was wondering after your troubleshooting/fixing the stick, has the yaw issue ever occur again?

note: I’m considering getting the stick but the yaw issue has got me worried.

Thanks

Never had this issue with the basically identical T16000M, which is IMO the noticeable more versatile version.

Really? That’s very fortunate for you, I’ve also heard negative reviews regarding T16000M “yaw issue/twitch”.

Quick question, has the yaw issue ever arises again after doing the fix? I’m considering getting the stick but quite hesitant due to this issue.

How many negative compared to how many positive?

It’s already my 2nd T1600M. I replaced it only because after many years of daily use I had to increase the aileron deadzone to 5%.

My ‘new’ one (again 4 years in use) could still be at 0%.

Btw, there are a few videos on youtube about the easy yaw issue fix if it arises.

I’ve owned a lot of yokes and pedals over the years, but that’ the first time I bought an identical stick again.

I didnt count the good vs bad reviews, only know that it exists. You mentioned versatality of the T16000M, could you elaborate? I do not own either of the sticks but from looking at the pictures of them, I like the T16000M for the bigger handrest on the stick, but the Airbus sidestick has thrust reverser detent.

The buttons on top of the stick are basically only useable if you are flying a FBW aircraft which doesn’t require trimming.
On the T16000M there’s not only one additional button, you can use these (much larger) buttons for realistic trimming.

The throttle range on the T16000M is already pretty small. Restricting this with an additional reverse range doesn’t sound nice.

The most realistic thrust reverer activation/operation in MSFS is IMO the ‘toggle throttle reverse’ command which means that you have the whole throttle range available to modulate reverse thrust.

Furthermore the A320 thrust reverser operation is really awkward IRL as well.
(There’s a reason why Airbus didn’t use it on any other Airbus)

Very solid points, indeed. To clarify things, for the 2 T16000Ms you own, you never had the rudder issue? May I ask what type of sim do you usually fly? Air combat or flight simming(I’m only asking because I assume air combat would require more abrupt and firm control resulting in the rudder twitch)?