Runway heading query/advice

Maybe a rookie mistake but…

If I am flying an AP heading of 210 and my destination airport is maybe 20 miles off, the runway is 21 - should i eventually come to the runway and be lined up for approach?

I thought I would but it turned out to be about a mile or two off to my right when i could finally get a visual.

I’m in the TBM930 and OBS never seems to work :frowning: or i would have used that.

It was just a short flight to get back in the swing after a holiday, FS2020 performed perfect, only stutter was on taxi to parking ramp and that was not a bad one, very nice flight.

A couple of things to consider here:

1. Did you have any crosswind, as that would have effected your track (TRK), so you might have flown a heading of 210 but actually the track across the ground was a few degrees either side of that.
  2. When you started on a heading of 210, was the airport on a bearing of 210?

Pleased to hear you had an enjoyable flight.

All the best

1 Like

The wind should have been as low as possible to get - i deleted the wind layer and was flying very early morning, so maybe not zero but very light.

I can’t verify the heading/bearing, i guess i could do the same trip again tomorrow :slight_smile:

Hey @DaveJK9173. I moved your post here to Community Support > Basic Gameplay Help based on the content of your question. I also added a tag to help with searchability. Blue skies!

1 Like

Apart from the wind comment, the other factor is RW21 could be 206 degrees or 214 degrees or something “close” to 210, so take that into consideration.

Thats a good point, it was only a small airfield and i cant find an approach plate for it, there is no ILS etc either. short runway. I found a taxi plan but nothing more.

Also, if you’re following a course to that airport, even with the OBS dialed to match the runway heading, that magenta line terminates at some random point in the middle of the airport and may not be anywhere close to the runway. Best practice, when available and in-range, is to dial up the ILS for that runway and follow that beam in.

1 Like

Which airport?

It was Perth Scotland, EGPT, pretty short runway, pilot controlled lighting - i don’t think we can use that??

No ILS/RNAV etc. OBS does not seem to work in the G3000 yet ?

Don’t think so - at least not in this sim. FS9 had the ability to tie airport animations to the radios, but I don’t think lighting could be controlled like that. There were several addon airports that had hangar doors that would open if one radio was tuned to a certain freq. I’d love to see that feature here!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.