SABA (TNCS) has big rocks at the west end of the runway

I can’t wait til the Twotter comes out. Come on Aerosoft!

1 Like

For some weird reason BING DATA WORLD GRAPHICS was off, and so photogrammetry, but I haven’t turned it off! Why did they get turned off??

I turned them back to ON: this resolves the village bug, the “valley” between the apron and runway is not as bad, and some of the hanging cliffs, but not the the rocks at the end of the runway:

Those rocks don’t look any different to what I have seen at Saba. Not sure it’s terribly realistic, though.

These will turn off automatically if there’s a problem with your internet (LAN side or WAN side) - intermitting or no internet - so that you are still able to fly when it happens. But it doesn’t turn back on automatically.

Yesterday, when you posted the picture of the valley, I later tried it again and didn’t have the valley. Good catch with those being off!

But the boulders and the those rocks on the runway 12 turn-round shouldn’t be there.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yes I had a message 2 days ago, about a problem with the connexion, and 2 minutes later another said it was OK. It’s not the first time I had these messages, but the first time these 2 settings were turned off.

I honestly had a moment where I wondered if I had gone insane and would start seeing flying boulders or worse…

1 Like

I would imagine that is something that could be sorted with the SDK, to remove those two clumps of boulders. The larger group off to the left of 12 also don’t look accurate, but at least they don’t obscure your approach.

I got an email yesterday from someone in this thread for this:

2 Likes

Took a close look just now:

Pretty perhaps, but not at all realistic. Some artistic license, then.

This is exactly what I have.
Asobo just invented antigravity!

2 Likes

Have a bit more indepth looks. The airport object placement indicates 2 different objects around there, namely RockIsland02 and Rock_Saba01. After what felty like hours, I managed to get both models extracted from both the current and an older backup I have (1.10.11 pre-USA I think). Sad news, they are both the same byte for byte.

Also as these are placements, we know it is not AI related. Both placements are also exactly the same.

Here is a screenshot:

My last guess would be then that it is related to the same spike issue.

I will try confirm that with the ‘spike’ fix package.

Update: The ‘spike’ fix package did not fix it. :frowning: So back to the guessing game.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you say…

Dont worry :smiley:

Good news everyone. If you delete the TNCS airport from the content manager, everything is fixed. Except of course the custom airport is gone. And when you restart, it downloads the ‘optional’ package again… but it does not install it for some reason… hmmm.

Next attempt, I try use files from the previous version I have for the airport. It is still showing the rocks.

From some checking in the vector data in dev mode, I can see there is a terraforming region right at the end of the runway (the turnaround spot). So this seems like a terraforming bug (regression rather), which may or may not be the cause for the spikes too.

@Hester40MT If you have some contact at Asobo, you might want to point them here. It is so subtle, no one would probably have noticed this in any other part of the world.

Here is another part that is ‘broken’, a person designing the airport would not do something like this.

Here is a screengrab from the video above from the older version. Also seems the fence is a lot higher in altitude in the current version.

1 Like

Interesting.
There is definitely something wrong also around the village, as when I fly near it, or in that direction, the FPS go down to 18, from ~ 30 everywhere else, with lots of stuttering.

Just to see, I deleted SABA in the content manager, then re-downloaded it: no change!

Re: huge spikes, here is what I found last week in the East of Papua Province, Indonesia:

As high as Mount Kilimanjaro!

Not seeing any slowdowns or stutters. My terrain LOD is at 100, every else ultra/high. And zero traffic or off.

Just watch the video below…
Notably:

• rocks on western side of the runway, floating over the sea
  • a dip between the apron and the runway.
  • there is also lots of stuttering near to the village: from 3:30
    NB: BING DATA WORLD GRAPHICS and photogrammetry are ON.
1 Like

It is probably the road traffic and multiplayer and airport density. Those all at heavy on CPU and can cause stutters. Turn it all off, and you will probably get 45-50 FPS and very smooth.

But this is discussion is getting a bit off-topic now. You can DM me if you want to discuss further.

FYI: With latest update, the rocks are still there.

1 Like

Thank you. I never expected this to be fixed; I just avoided to look “negative”.
My realism helped me so many times in real life, to avoid deceptions… but certainly not sarcasms !
I am still in the process of downloading the update: 3 GB to go, out of 23 !
Several times it would start well, then go to 1 Mbits/s ! Seriously! Yep! Well, this is not to my liking… So I paused, closed then re-started FS several times. I have never been for giving up!
I started nearly 3 hours ago.
EDIT: So, SABA is definitely between many rocks and a diamond-hard place !

1 Like

So the unwanted rocks are still there in FS v 1.13.16.0 ( 16 Feb 2021 update)

and there is a light in the taxiway between apron and runway: