Sad to see no profiles for VKBSim Controllers :(

Sad to see no profiles for VKBSim Controllers :frowning:

No much fun constructing a dedicated profile from scratch and with the less than ideal UI, it makes it less fun.

3 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out how to assign stuff to my MK II. It’s terrible.

It doesn’t even recognize my VKB pedals. They are plugged into the black box and function in other sims. It’s just not seen by FS2020

You need to be a bit patient, like me. Maybe they will react and have at least more than some basic default assignments. I should say, however, that any reaction may still be a long time coming. The VKBsim Gladiator II is a superior joystick and I highlighted the absence of it being recognised at all in early Alpha stages - as far back as December. Nonetheless, at least it is now recognised and the axes and some buttons are accepted.
Being patient also means I am not yet ready to buy, despite having had the game/sim now for 8 months. I’m essentially waiting for VR implementation; but, like many of the Alpha/Beta testers, I felt it was not really ready for release in its present state.
Regardless, it has massive potential: just a pity that releasing prematurely has generated such a lot of complaints.

Agree, but until about 6 weeks ago the sim wouldn’t remember the settings/profile and every time a new Alpha was released I had to start from scratch. So, at least you should no longer have that frustration.

$200 AUD, Im not really inclined to be patient for a fix on things that are basic requirements to sim properly. The Winwing F-18 throttle is a paperweight with this sim as it does not recognise all of the various axis’ on the throttle, the axis they didn’t pick up is the bloody throttle control. Extremely poor release imo. With a product like this the least you would have though they could do is simply grab any and all axis’ that the USB controller detects

Did you purchase the sim via Steam?

StangDriver sorted out my throttle issue, not too proud to say that in this case it was my fault not seeing the additional axis’ on the controls page.
I would love to see proper pre populated profiles but at least I can fly now.

What is exactly “StangDriver”? Because i’m not able to see an axis in the config page (GF MkII / SCG).

I’ll be the first to admit that setting up bindings from scratch isn’t the easiest thing in the world the first time. I remember how I felt when I first loaded the sim and my CH Yoke was “blank” :frowning: At least there are now some decent tutorials and guides.

In addition these are my general tips to help with setting up and modifying Controllers:

• The Control Filter at the bottom of the left part of the screen defaults to “Assigned” which only shows the commands that are currently bound to the selected controller. If the controller doesn’t have default bindings, you won’t see anything! To see all the commands, change the filter to “All”. To see a recommended set of starting commands select “Essentials”. The “Search By Name” will let you narrow down the (very long!) list of commands. Helpful Name searches are “Axis” (see below) and the various views “Cockpit”, “Instrument”, “Drone”, “External”.
  • To bind an input (button, switch, slider, axis) you don’t need to know the actual input number for your controller. MSFS can recognize the input just by activating it during binding. When you click on a command, it will bring up the “binding window”. Click on the space that says “Search By Input” and it will light up. Now physically activate the input on your controller. The space should fill in with the input number. Click “Validate” to complete the binding.
  • All “linear” controls need to use the “AXIS” commands, not the basic commands. That is the issue you are having with your control inputs. This includes control surfaces, engine controls (throttle, etc), brakes, etc. Basically anything that needs proportional input will use the “Axis” version of the command.
  • Unless you have a complex throttle quadrant with multiple throttles, make sure you bind your Throttle to the “Throttle Axis” command and not any of the numbered Throttles. This will control all throttles on multi-engine aircraft simultaneously.
  • A lot of the MSFS default controller profiles use the “Cockpit Quickview” commands which snap back to center. The secret to smooth panning around the Cockpit is to use the “Cockpit Look” commands. Make sure you delete any currently assigned Cockpit View commands for the Hat and then create new bindings using “Cockpit Look”. Depending on your hat, you can map 4 or 8 directions.
  • You can actually access and change Control bindings while inside the live sim (use Esc to get to the main menus). This is helpful if you are trying to fine tune or debug things.
  • You can create multiple binding Profiles for each of your Controllers. This is helpful if you want to map your controls differently for different aircraft. It is also useful if you need to adjust the Sensitivity settings differently for different aircraft. Just make sure you select the correct Profile for each session.
  • I have not used any external controller management or calibration applications or drivers. If you do, your mileage may vary! For sure any control input assignments you make outside MSFS will not carry through inside the sim. The CH Manager application has caused problems for some users of CH products.
  • Adding an Xbox Game Controller (wired or wireless) makes controlling the Drone Cam and Slew really easy and intuitive! MSFS immediately recognizes it and sets up all the bindings by Default.

If you need more help or have other specific questions, let us know! Rick

1 Like

Negative, windows store

So today, out of the blue it suddenly recognized my VKB black box with the pedals, but my saitek throttle quadrant is no longer seen. Does MSFS have a limit as to how many game controllers it can see?

Do not think so. It can see my XBox controller, steering wheel, VKBsim joystick and Logitech throttle quadrant all at the same time.

I don’t like to plug and unplug a lot of my equipment. I fried a Warthog throttle and it makes me a little gun shy, so I have my full DCS set up plugged in including a Virpil and Thrustmaster stick, a Warthog throttle ,2 MFD panels, VKB rudder pedals, 2 button boxes, an A-10 UFC, and then my Logitech GA sims stuff, 2 throttle quads, 1 switch panel and a yoke. I’m just wondering if it’s all too much for FS to detect and it just takes the first 10 it finds or something.

It may have changed in the release build, but there used to be a limit of 5 peripherals.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/five-peripheral-limit/29203?u=amiablegalaxy9

Link must be alpha a can’t read it, but that might be zeroing in on what the issue is

Apologies. I hadn’t accounted for the restriction. Glad I was of modest assistance.

Well I removed all controllers except those I use for the sim and they were all recognized and functioning. If there’s going to be a limit, I would like to choose which 5 should be used by the sim, instead of having to unplug other devices

No limit
I have seven devices recorgnised - Stick, Throttle, Switch Panel, Rudder Pedals, 2 x Cougar MFD’s and one DS Spears button box. This is on top of the keyboard and mouse.

Just remember that peripherals can have issues with USB ports. Esp ports on usb pcie addon cards. I always use the rear USB ports that directly connect to the mainboard and quality powered USB hubs.

They work fine in other simulators with them all plugged in, it’s just MSFS2020.