Saitek Throttle Quadrant magnetic detents with 3d printed holders for flaps or throttles

Magnetic detents for the Saitek Throttle Quadrant - for example for flaps, thottles equipped with detents (e.g. in CRJ).
It is of course possible to use the magnetic detents without the 3d printed holder, by gluing the magnets to the throttle quadrant (real glue required - double sided tape won’t be strong enough to keep the strong neodymium magnet in position), but the holder allows disabling/enabling the detents (by removing the magnets), relocating them for different aircraft (no permanent gluing, just the double sided tape) and as a bonus offers acoustic feedback (magnet moving inside the holder).

Based on the neodymium magnets:

• one magnet glued to the throttle lever,
  • another magnet installed inside 3d printed holder.

You can easily feel when the lever reaches the detent position, due to magnetic force. Moreover - the magnet moves freely inside the holder which also provides acoustic feedback.
The detent can be easily deactivated - remove the clip from the holder and then remove the magnet (it moves freely inside the holder).

3d models and pictures here: Dropbox - Saitek throttle magnetic detents - Simplify your life

For those of you who fly Aerosoft CRJ here is the RPN script (used by me in Axis and Ohs, however I’m not the author of the original script - downloaded from Simflight.to) to use the axis/lever on the Saitek throttle quadrant to operate the flaps:

(L:AS_CRJ-Flaps_AxisMin0Max700)·+·128·/·flr·(>L:ASCRJ_FLAPS_SET,·number)·(L:ASCRJ_FLAPS_SET,·number)·0·<·if{·0·(>L:ASCRJ_FLAPS_SET,·number)·}(L:
ASCRJ_FLAPS_SET,·number)·4·>·if{·4·(>L:ASCRJ_FLAPS_SET,·number)·}

The downmost flaps position (45 in the CRJ) is not handled by the script, but by the button, which is activated by the Saitek throttle quadrant, when the lever is in the lowest position:

1 Like

Very cool. I love how we are all modding our Saitek equipment.

1 Like

Final CRJ throttle quadrant with:

• speedbrakes lever,
  • left and right engine thrust levers with magnetic detents for idle, climb, TOGA (also reversers in the lowest position where Saitek hidden button is activated),
  • flaps with magnetic detents for 1, 8, 20 positions (other detents are built-in into Saitek throttle quadrant),
  • landing gear lever.

Plus buttons for TOGA, idle cuttoff, engine starters and thrust reversers arm/off.
No labels for the lever positions - I don’t see them when flying in VR, but I can feel (and hear) the position due to action of magnetic detents.