Save and reuse the PopOut-Windows-Positions. First release is ready

Hi guys,

after a few weeks of development, I have now finished the tool for automatic positioning of the PopOut windows. (Working title is: MsfsCommon). and all toolbar windows like ATC, VFR-MAP etc.

There were problems to recognize all windows correctly. Since a simple creation of color histograms did not achieve the goal, I implemented an object recognition system to recognize all windows that do not have a title text.

The tool should works for all PopOut-Windows (I hope :slight_smile: )
I tested the tool with G1000 / G3000 / G5000, the backup instruments and the special MDF/PDF in the Cessna Longitude,
Especially the bottom mounted MDF and PDF programming screens in the Logitude needed all my attention.

All windows from the toolbar (ATC, VFR map, etc.) should also work.

MsfsCommon is a pure SysTray application. That means there is no program window. Instead there is a NotifyIcon in the Systray.
If you click with the right mouse button on this icon, a popup menu appears.

1. set PopOut Positions Win+Ctrl+Home
  2. save PopOut Positions Win+Ctrl+Print
  3. avoid rendering when inactive Win+Ctrl+Insert

Point 1 is only enabled if point 2 was used before. Point 3 can be used to enable/disable a mode that prevents Msfs rendering when Msfs is not the active application.
This is very useful if you actually want to pause the flight to do something else, but don’t want to exit Msfs completely.
The function saves power, but has nothing to do with the actual function regarding window positioning.
By the way: As you can see, all menu items can be reached via ShortCut (see above). Selecting the functions via ShortCut,
is also recommended by me.

Procedure (save positions):

1. start the tool at any time - no matter if the FS is already running or not.
  2. position your FS windows as you want them - even on multiple screens.
  3. when everything is positioned, choose point 2 (Save PopOut Positions).

That’s it regarding saving the positions.

Procedure (Restore positions):

1. get all desired PopOuts from the Flightsimulator
  2. detach these windows one by one from the combination window created by the FS (important: the PopOut you attached first should be detached last). It doesn’t matter where you place the windows or if they are on top of each other.
  3. Select menu item 1 (or Win+Ctrl+Home) to position the PopOuts automatically.

Tips:

1. when PopOuting you should make sure that the content is reasonably correct regarding the aspect ratio. Don’t have too big edges at the top, bottom or sides.
  2. you may need to download Microsoft.NET 4 from Microsoft for the program to work. First test if it starts for you, if not, please download Microsoft.NET 4.

If you like the tool and use it, I would also implement other features. For example, managing multiple different profiles. So you could save multiple aircraft cockpits.
Binaries and sources now available via GitHub

I would be glad about feedback from you.

Best flying greetings
Uwe

Why wait to see how it’s received before releasing the code? IMHO it’s far more likely to be well received if the source code is released now…

The certified binaries are available. But I’m happy to provide the sources via GitHub, if you want me to do so.

For the record… I’m using this on the Cessna Longitude with the Garmin G5000 and it seems to be working great. 5 pop out windows plus ATC and Camera menus.

Jim-Sim

Pleased to meet you again, JimSim :grinning:
I vow to clean up my source code and make it available via GitHub.

E1ephand42 - you are familiar with software development?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/joystick-to-simconnect-mapping-utility-honeycomb-bravo-throttle-mappings-included/346493/97

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/little-app-that-might-appeal-to-those-who-like-to-roam/279632

Works with FBW32NX, easy to setup and use.

1 Like

Love this Thankyou Uwe. I think it really needs per aircraft position saving because I popout for instance the G1000 to different locations on my monitors for different aircraft. It would be really good if it could auto detect from the sim what aircraft is loaded and pop them to the stored locations for that aircraft.
I also know you would like to add the ability to automatically pop out the panels if they already have a saved setting so as soon as this could be figured out that would be a game changer I think.

Great work so far. Well done.

Milch… fantastic job man… I hope you are posting this for feedback. If so I have a wish for ya. It works perfect as a full screen window but… if you position it on the desired display then instead of making the window full screen you (right alt enter) to make the display borderless full screen.

thanks for your hard work, this is a pit builders dream come true…

Hi Sling, thanks for your feedback,

Your idea to link different profiles with the aircraft name is very good.
I will try to find out the name of the loaded aircraft using SimConnect. This name should then determine the corresponding profile.

Greetings
Uwe

If I understand correctly, you drag a FS pop out window to a specific screen to switch it to fullscreen.
This means that when scanning the positions I should check if the window is in fullscreen mode.
If it is, I would have to put the window back to fullscreen mode when automatically positioning it later.

Is this what you meant?

Greetings
Uwe

Thanks. That should be straightforward because there is a sim connect variable for that. I use it sometimes to config things for each aircraft. Let us know how you go.

I have download but it will not start. Doesn’t matters if normal or as administrator.

It sits in the system tray so there is nothing to see when it opens. You can either use the keyboard shortcuts or access the simple controls via the system tray.

Exactly, that’s it. That’s probably where the error lies.
I just noticed that starting multiple instances of the tool does not prevent it. But I should and will change it.
Until then, make sure you don’t start more than one instance.

Uwe

Milch… tried to send u a personal on what i mean by maximize and full screen.

Source codes are now released via GitHub:

Simaux (alias MsfsCommon) https://github.com/ultrafox42/Simaux

Hello, I have downloaded Simaux. I do not know where I need to put the Simaux-master folder to get the systray Icon? maybe silly question, sorry?

This is an old and possibly now out of date app. For your popout needs you should check out POPM. Pop out panel manager.