Save Flight Function or Autosave

Given the number of CTDs people seem to be suffering, there would be great benefit if the game had an option to autosave the in-game state regularly and automatically, and, in the event of a CTD, a “Last Known Good” option could be selectable as a Departure option, returning the sim to the exact state saved, including flight characteristics - nothing worse that struggling to regain control of a plane after slewing when it pops back at 30,000 feet with 0 velocity - flight plan and AP information, control settings, etc.

2 Likes

Yes! After just losing over an hour of progress during the USA discovery flight to a CTD I couldn’t agree more.

Oh yes, I’m especially longing for a “Start from last location” button like we had in FSX… I opened a topic for that as well. :+1:

3 Likes

Hi there,

because the simulator crashes so many times, there should be snapshots created. I expect, that one per minute should be anough. After the crash there should be the option to continue the game an this point.

Thanks to all.

4 Likes

If FS had a replay feature, it would be nice to pause at a certain point and say “spawn here”. And, please start the plane there with the correct speed, which seems to be a problem with slew and possibly with flight loading.

I agree we need proper save and autosave functions. Frustrating to experience a crash to desktop after several hours of flight.

1 Like

I can’t believe they still haven’t implemented auto save. It’s especially needed now that so many people are struggling with constant CTD.

1 Like

It would be nice if it automatically created an FLT and PLN file automatically. One less thing for us to remember to do every time we go into the sim. I am using other software that uses the PLN files and if I forget to save it; I become, parched… (insert funnier word there!)

I voted++ You should too!

Since the latest release, FSKneeboard v1.2.0 can autosave your flights in configurable intervals as well :slight_smile: The feature is described in the video below starting at 3:03!

Cheers and happy landings :slight_smile:

Thank you for the information!!
A question: this utility save a flt and .pln files?
Are they full usable?
For instance thos saved from FSUIPC are not usable at all…
Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi @PrimaryInk9845 :slight_smile:

From testing the mod and using it myself I’d say: Yes! The only time I personally had issues with the autosave-feature was during bush trips, as the autosave seams to collide with the “official” autosave that is enabled during bush trips…

That being said, I obviously cannot promise anything “beyond” the internal FSKneeboard functionality as it does rely on a rock-solid MSFS-simconnect-integration. If new bugs in MSFS arise, FSKneeboard can, obviously, not compensate for that. But last time I checked and tried it worked fine!

Here’s what I suggest: Give it a shot! Purchase a license for the cheapest pricing option and try it out. If it does work and adds to your MSFS experience, consider buying me one or two cups of coffee :slight_smile: If it doesn’t, shoot me an email and I’ll refund you. Quick and simple. I don’t want anyone left behind unhappy with my mod!!! :slight_smile: Give it a shot and see if it works for you!!!

Try the free version at https://fskneeboard.com/try-free or get a license at https://fskneeboard.com/buy-now

See you on the other side,
Chris

Thank you Chris @TheStoepsel2001 for your prompt answer…
I was readiing about VR: FSKneeborad works also without VR?
I do not use it, for now…
Thanks again!
Stefano

1 Like

Yes it does! It is optimized for VR, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work without. It’s a regular ingame panel that hooks into the MSFS toolbar and you can use the FSKneeboard panel both inside and outside VR!

We have all experienced frustrating crashes while on descent or approach to landing after our 4 hour flight. While yes, it is good to fix the crashes in the first place, why not have a safety too?

I’m actually really surprised no one is talking about an autosave feature more. I’m surprised it didn’t come with the simulator from the beginning. Some other sims have it by default.

I used to have a free autosave mod for FSX and it saved my day many times. With the autosave, A crash was just a minor inconvenience rather than a day-ruiner. I could just boot back up where it last saved my flight. I would love to have this in MSFS too, without needing to install an extra mod; paid or free.

2 Likes

Maybe because the save functionality itself does not work properly first of all… try it for yourself with an IFR flight and the flight plan in the MCDU.

1 Like

Yes… after suffering from a CTD today, I must say that something like this would be very welcoming.

1 Like

Autosave needs to work on two levels:

Flight Autosave: This saves the location of the aircraft in the world and the altitude.

Panel Autosave: This saves the autopilot and cockpit configuration.

In P3D, I used to use FSUIPC to do a Flight Autosave every 5 minutes, and the aircraft that I was flying (PMDG or QualityWings) had a Panel Autosave feature built in.

So in the event of a CTD, I would reload the Flight Autosave first, and as soon as the flight loads, I would load the last Panel Autosave from the FMC or EFB, and resume my flight like nothing happened.

What I hope to see is for Asobo to standardize both Autosave features, combining them together natively as part of the SDK. So that this whole process becomes much simpler. Without needing any third-party tools.

In the event of a CTD, the user just has to reload the last autosave, and both the flight and the panel will load as they were before the CTD.

This feature is extremely important especially with the long-range airliners coming to the sim soon. No one wants to be on approach after an 8 hour flight and have a CTD that cannot be recovered from.

17 Likes

It would definitely be useful if the sim crashes because “your graphics device has encountered a problem” just 40 miles from my destination airport after flying 2 and a half hours. Sheez.