Save Mid Flight Possible?

Good morning forum,

In light of my new found CTD’s

I was wondering, since my issue seems to be on approach, is it possible to save before I hit approach and then if it CTD’s I can just reload from save and continue on?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I do not believe that currently, there is anything for MSFS that will allow you to take a SNAPSHOT of where you are, and all your aircraft settings etc, with the purpose of being able to re-load that back again into the sim, and be EXACTLY where you were, when you took that Snapshot.

The closest is, to be able to save your FLIGHT, but I believe that is more saving where you were at the start of the flight ?

If any addon developer was to come up with such a “Snapshot” save / reload feature, I am sure it would be well received.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply,

I did a bit of searching here, and on some other forums and it looks like it’s “possible” but buggy. The biggest thing seems to be weather in that it “freezes” the weather and loads what it was at point of takeoff.

Not sure how big of a deal that would be in my case given I don’t use live weather (clear skies pre-set and let REX inject).

As long as all flight controls are left “as is” if it would just resume that would be amazing.

I’ll have to give it a try just wasn’t sure if anyone had recently.

Interesting – can you recall any more information… name of product , which forum etc >

I find it difficult to imagine a generic Save/restore product, being able to save, say, all the internal setting of a complex PMDG plane !

1 Like

This was the in sim save nothing third party.

2 Likes

But as you said,

An automatic save feature that would automiticaly capture a save point every 5 or so minutes and you could reload from the last one would be amazing.

3 Likes

I saw that some time ago, and 'assumed" it only saved your Position ?

Will need to go back and read that in more detail …

1 Like

I’m going to give it a try, I’ll save current flight that I’m re-doing that CTD last night and save it just outside of the approach.

Hopefully I’ll land without issue and then I’ll reload it from the save and see what happens.

But it is NOT going to save all your Plane’s settings at the time of save … including your GPS / FMS data and state, current tuned frequencies, cockpit settings etc …

(or is it ?? )

It would be like putting you onto the Approach, with your plane configured the same as when you 1st spawned into the Sim, many hours ago,

1 Like

I honestly have no idea, it will be interesting to see how it restores everything.

You should be able to, but the loading and saving feature is broken, and has been since launch. To me, being able to save the state of your plane should be a core feature, but apparently even that is low priority. That’s why justflight had to create their own save system for their aircraft, which is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Airplane developers shouldn’t have to program their own save system because the game’s default save system is broken.

I really hope Asobo appreciates the patience of their customers and third party developers…

4 Likes

It should be, but… :wink:

More like " You believe that you should be able to, and because you have not been able to, since launch, you are claiming that the sim is “Broken”.

This is based on the idea that you know how the sim was originally designed … (very few people do)

I am not saying it would not be ideal is everything could be saved by the sim itself, but technically that may not be so easy, especially when developed add additional systems that Asobo may not be aware of.

That’s not to say that a SAVE by the SIM is not technically possible, but it would require the Sim to be able to be told what also needs to be saved by each individual and unique plane, and the sim to have an API, where the Planes could registered what needs to be saved etc etc etc

Not impossible, but not that easy either, and as far as I am aware, no such design, or system like this has yet to be implemented.

So I just tried it and it does work!

Here are the catches

1. Need to make sure all your controls are set to where you think they should be before loading the flight

2. When you load in, Autopilot will not be engaged so best to hit it right away and get Alt hold and Rol mode going to hold you in place

3. Confirm your power settigns

4. The G1000 still had my flight plan but I had to go in and activate the leg I was on

Other then that, it worked!!!

I can confirm the weather option is gone from the toolbar but as I use REX I was able to inject without issue. I also use P2ATC and just had to re-load my flight plan and it picked up.

Given my CTD is on approach, I will be saving about 30 minutes out and use this incase of CTD!

1 Like

No, I claimed the loading and saving feature is broken, and it is. There are 100% reproducible bugs with flight saving and loading that causes it to be unusable in most scenarios. Try it yourself. Hop in a GA aircraft, use real world weather and ATC, and do a bunch of short hops, saving and loading at every airport and using ATC every time you load your flight. It shouldn’t take very long for you to see the various problems.

This is based on the idea that you know how the sim was originally designed …

I guess I have more faith in Asobo to not assume that they intentionally made a saving and loading system that is riddled with bugs.

3 Likes

For fun, I finished flying from the save and landed without issue.

The hours on the plane itself saved and added on the remaining of the flight, the log book only shows from the save point.

That said I did finish the original flight the save was completed from, but still if I hadn’t I imagine the log book would only take from the save onwards.

If you end a flight mid air does it capture to that point or do you have to land for it to capture?

I use the save and then load options if/when I find my frame rates have dropped too low. Seems to mostly work ok for me though sometimes there are lockups on saving or loading.

I’ve found that using Ctrl-Alt-Del to open the Task Manager ,and then immediately exit from the task manger, fixes those freezes. Now and then, after reloading, the flight the sim seems to be in a strange pause type mode - in this case esc ,and then resume seems to fix that.

1 Like

The paid version of FSUIPC has a feature that will save state every few minutes and allow you to reload from any of the save points. I had used it in earlier days, but I stopped when it was introducing some major stuttering in the CRJ, so I’m not sure if that was ever resolved. That said, before it started causing stutters it worked reasonably well.

The other option is to use one of the flight recorders. I use Sky Dolly. If I experience a system crash, I just rewind the flight to right before the crash, stop the playback and carry on.

Neither of the above options are perfect because neither completely capture the state of the aircraft. For example, you’ll probably have to reconfigure all of your electronics, etc. What I do is restart the flight on the runway, reconfigure as necessary (don’t forget to turn off the parking brake) and then rewind from there so that the airplane is in the best state possible to continue. It isn’t ideal, but it is a much better option than redoing the entire flight.

2 Likes

Just to add to the discussion, @KenZ8143 just posted this utility he created.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.