Saved a Flight and reloaded a Mess - What Did I do Wrong?

I was a couple hours along in a long flight; 40k’, AP, following a flight plan. I wanted to save and resume it later and the flight was a mess when I reloaded it.

On reload, the 40k’ altitude was now set to 10k’ and the plane was dropping. Autopilot was off and it was turning off the planned path. The toolbar was gone and I could not find a way to turn it back on. The “Overspeed” announcement was driving me nuts so I exited MSFS to save my sanity.

So, what did I do wrong? Even if that flight is toast, how can I save in the future and come back to exactly where I left off?

2 Likes

I don’t believe you’ve done anything wrong. I’ve experienced something similar. I believe there is a bug in the save/restore functionality of the sim (definitely since the SU7 update).

3 Likes

You did nothing wrong.

It does not work until Asobo fixes it.

2 Likes

That’s disappointing. Interesting that such a basic function like saving progress in so many software programs, whether games, productivity, or creativity does not work in this complex and marvelous program.

3 Likes

Flight saving/loading has been broken since release. Will it ever be fixed? Who knows. As far as I know, Asobo hasn’t even acknowledged it. I filed a bug report shortly after release, but we all know where those go…

1 Like

I think this is a big flaw and needs to be fixed.

1 Like

i think we need all to make more zendesk reports.
but one thing is always going to be difficult, if you fly with live weather and save.
next time you want to go on, weather might be totally different, this can have an effect
on flight height, etc
but this really should at least work .

The sim barely saves some data in the saves, like route, position etc.
But as soon as you’re using an addon aircraft or avionics, there is currently no way for MSFS to restore the state of it since its proprietary
The live weather was also mentioned.

So I would assume the save feature to be something that simply puts your aircraft to the saved position with the route that was created for this flight.

The reason that even the altitude was wrong is even worse, but seriously, the save/load feature is something we probably will never have fully working. The sim has too much “state” that can’t be saved and omitting some parts basically makes the saving useless for me.

1 Like

I have been reporting since the early beta of the sims still broken nearly three years later. Unfortunately the hardcore as real as it get lobby always win out out . With you cannot restart a flight in real life. In honesty is is better but by no means perfect . I could live with the 10 minutes of trying to get my flight going again and flyable if I could then have access to weather and time of day . A decent panel fmc save and restore feature would plus location is all I want .

Yeah, you did nought wrong. Your best bet as it stands is to do what I do: simply exit the flight. When you’re ready to resume, recreate the same flight, complete with flightplan, but with the departure where you left off. Click Fly and use slew mode to adjust your altitude, maybe Active Pause to make any other adjustments (fuel, time, weather), and away you go. Works for me.

It’s just very realistic. In real life you can’t make a break being way up in the air and come back later :woozy_face:

I wish the sim was more realistic in other aspects than this :wink:

Saving the full state of a flight in flight sims was always a big issue as soon as there were third party addons with state. Actually in some cases you simply can’t recreate the state even manually since it is built up from the initialization (like Weight&Balance, Fuel, FMS,…).

Basically each addon would need some way to provide the state to MSFS to store along the regular parameters and provide an API to reload the state from the save. Technically possible, but complex and dependent on what addon developers are willing to provide.
Then you have the issue of updates where even such a saved state might get incompatible when loading into an updated version of the addon - so the addons would need to make these states backwards compatible and migrate them to the updated functionality after an update. It’s REALLY complex in some cases.

But for basic GA aircraft, especially for default ones, this should be possible but even that doesn’t work properly (e.g. the weather menu).

Non-MS stuff could definitly be a save problem, however, in my messed up save it was all standard MSFS. I have no additions or mods of any kind.

I think the more complex systems like the A320 avionics put up the same issues for the stock aircraft as addons would.
The saves are basically storing common parameters of the sim, but not internals of the different systems.

The fact that even the altitude was not correctly saved is certainly a bug, just like the non-accessible weather window is after loading a save.
Expecting the sim to save and load the full state of more complex aircraft (even stock ones) is probably overpromised and underdelivered by the save/load function.
While I would love to see for Asobo to implement an API that addon devs could at least hook their state into (then they could decide if they want to put that effort in), I really hope they at least get the basics fixed before they add complexity.

Good one! :grin: But I suppose in real life I cannot slam my aircraft into the side of a mountain and restart either.

Regarding the point that 3rd party aircraft make it hard for msfs to provide a properly working “save” feature, that really isn’t the case. They could have easily designed the SDK to require 3rd party aircraft to implement a “save state”, and quality 3rd party devs would be happy to play nicely and implement it.

1 Like

I can and do save with time, date and weather access (Flight Conditions).
MS Store. WTCJ4.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/topic/173081/141

good workaround and thanks for help. Asobo would be nice if this just happens !!

1 Like

Last time I tried my flight resumed as a crash on the ground. The save file contents were fine. The sim just can’t load a save properly.

The best I could do was create a new flight plan with the starting point near where I left off.

The last time I saved a plan was after a short flight up the Australian coast. I had landed well and parked off the runway and saved. When reloading the flight only two hours later the craft took off at high speed with a lot of right to left force. Even getting it straight was a problem and after three or four tries I got it airborne only for it to crash within seconds so I don’t save anymore.

1 Like