Seeking advice on VR headset purchase

I’m running a G2 on similar pc like yours but with 3080 graphics card.
My settings are 100 in OXR reprojection always on, and in game 70 renderscale, 100 in the other two settings and all the rest on high.
I have a awesome experience with this settings.

1 Like

Thank you for the info!

G2, dont care about what “seems” or is “reported”. Fear is a bad consultant.

FOV can be modded easily with printed face gaskets (all around for 30 bucks) when you got the feeling that you need a few degrees more, tracking needs just even lighting.

Try and if you dont like it give it back.

Pimax and some highend headsets will give you more FOV and improved tracking for at least twice the price.

Your rig can handle all of them.

If it gets my eyes closer to the lenses, wouldn’t that affect people that wear prescription glasses? I sure don’t want to scratch the lenses!

If you wear glasses you would be better off getting custom prescription lenses made so you can use the G2 without the glasses.

After a couple of months with the Quest 2 I’m really happy with it. Admittedly I haven’t tried any other headset but in case it helps anyone here are my additional thoughts since my pre-purchase summary:

• -Wireless VR (previously through the Virtual Desktop app, and currently with the official free Air Link) is a HUGE positive for most games. It doesn’t make much difference for flight sim (unless you fancy walking around the cabin) but even if you play just one other game like Half Life Alyx, being able to turn /walk freely without worrying about the cable makes such a big difference. I played through it without having to use the turn button, not possible while wired.
  • -The motion controllers are good and apparently the tracking is better than the Reverb G2. I didn’t think this mattered to me but playing VTOL VR (which is excellent) shows how much virtual controls can boost the experience and if this ever comes to MSFS it will be great.
  • -The Quest 2 resolution (I am at 5400*2700 and 100 render scale) may not be as high as the G2 but it looks much better than I expected, and most of the screen is in this clear “sweet spot”. It is great to be able to just move my eyes to check different instruments and I don’t think I would like having to move my whole head as some have described with the G2.
  • -The reprojection seems to work very well, it feels very smooth to me even at 25fps or so (90hz)
  • -The other built in apps for the Quest 2 are good - huge screen Sky sports, Youtube, Netflix etc, wirelessly and without needing PC.
  • -All in all it is great value for £300 - recommended !
2 Likes

I bought the G2 and my prescription glasses fit perfectly! 8) I also bought a custom built gasket set that came with two silicone replacements of different thickness, and one of them got me even closer to the lens which improved my FOV and clarity, plus the silicone is easy to clean.

HTC vive is announcing a couple new headsets on the 11th. I’d hold off purchases till we see what those are.

If you want a headset ONLY for flight simulator, definitely the G2. If you want to use it for other VR experiences, then definitely go with a Rift S or Quest 2. Myself and everyone I know who bought a G2 after owning an Oculus (granted, it’s only 3 people) sent the G2 back or sold it. Compared to an Oculus, the G2’s tracking is just unforgivably bad. It’s worse than PlayStation VR with its 10 year old Move controllers. Totally ruins any VR experience you use the controllers for (which is almost all of them besides MSFS).

Compared to an Oculus, the G2’s tracking is just unforgivably bad

Yes i know also some who bought a G2 who also using it mostly for SimRacing. But also they have switched to the Oculus Quest 2 or Valve Index. Since when you just barely want to play BeatSabre you get ■■■■■■ up with the Reverb G2 Tracking.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.