Seemingly reduced building draw distance after SU5?

I see a bunch of people reporting about the Pop-ins with snapping camera views… While I noticed that as well, but on my system at least, it was not THAT bad. Maybe because I don’t do VR and TrackIR, so I don’t have fast moving camera angles. But what I DID notice, and please tell me if I’m going crazy here, is the draw distance for all the buildings seems to be reduced? This is WITHOUT panning the cameras around.

For example, flying around in LA area, I can no longer always see the downtown area buildings. And there just seems to be a very clear cut off line where buildings closer to me will pop up, but there’s absolutely nothing on the other side of the line. Flying in NY area, if I look over to Newark, it basically looks like there’s no buildings there on that side of the shore unless I get closer. Also tested in cities like Shanghai, where some of the building on the other side of the runway does not even populate until I’m basically on short final, and makes the mega city look small due to the lack of buildings…I can almost swear it wasn’t like this before?

I have everything on Ultra btw, Prior to SU5, I had my LOD sliders on 110, after SU5 after reading some posts I increased it to 200, but it does not seem to help much…I don’t have a good comparison screenshot because I did not anticipate this. But with almost nobody mentioning it, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s just me going crazy here…

Yes, this is what 90% of those complaining are talking about… pop-in and lower LOD or draw distances.

5 Likes

Ah, so draw distance is part of LOD? I thought the complaints on the LOD was on the lower resolution terrain etc.

1 Like

I’m not an expert (before someone chews my head off) but there are two types of LOD in this sim, objects and terrain. I think there are concerns on both of them.

The part where you speak about flying over NJ and not seeing downtown NYC fully rendered isn’t “new” to SU5 - I think it’s more visible now with SU5, but it’s not new - my biggest complaint was what I call “melted buildings” or pyramids when taking off at JFK and looking towards downtown. They weren’t fully rendering/drawn until you’re literally 2 blocks away - and that’s on 4k ULTRA settings. Now, it seems SU5 has introduced culling (whatever that means) and that’s where the pop in comes in to play, I believe. This seems to be an intentional way to optimize the sim, but clearly there’s work to be done.

Terrain LOD seems to be lowered - look at any of the airliner posts where they’re at FL300+ or higher and the ground textures are more blurry, etc. - and object LOD seems to impact seeing gates “pop in” or “pop out” when you’re taxiing, etc.

1 Like

You can try and go into your usercfg.opt file and increase the LOD there from 2 to 4 save the file, go into properties and mark the file read only, then re-run the game that might help, I dont really seeing the pop effect like some are reporting but it did seem to help the draw distance a bit.

1 Like

Changing the LOD in the cfg file as some have suggested nukes my frame rate (down to well below what I got pre-SU5) while making no noticeable difference in pop-in.

1 Like

I’ve had some success with it, specifically the Objects LOD increased to 4, but yes, it will definitely lower your FPS… this is the “eternal” debate – FPS or Visuals.

Is your GPU running hot? I know mine started reporting 80 c, and Ive never seen it that high, so I looked it up online and it said that 80c is optimum temp.

Have you checked the card maybe starting to get dust bunnies?

For me it doesnt lower the FPS enough to make it unplayable. I was playing today at 3840x and while it was only pulling 20 fps, it was doing it constant, no lag stutters etc. If I turned it back down to 1920 were talking 45-52 so steady. No PG of course, before the patch PG was starting to look good, and after the patch we’re back to the melted bldgs and such oh well…

2 Likes

Heck, you can Taxi in an airport that has lots of detail and you can see the hangar gates forming like 40 feet in front of you! It is shameful what they did, and this is the only complain I have, no crashes and it performs so much smoother in my system. I realize that to Asobo the detail on the objects and scenery are good enough when I flew over Bora Bora, which they showcase on their Video advertisement for the Xbox. What is Bora Bora famous for, other than the beautiful waters? The Huts over the water and guess what, in the Sim they are SUBMERGED!!! They could have at least fixed that if is going to be their showcase. Again, my only gripe.

2 Likes

I tried this, and at 4, I don’t see any visible difference at all except now my GPU is using more power. If I crank it to 10, then yes I see a difference on the draw distance, but obviously at much lower frames and worse than pre SU5.
The New York area thing I honestly do not recall how it looked pre-SU5, but the LA area, I definitely recall I can see the downtown building clusters without getting very close. But it’s not even about the large buildings, it’s the normal houses/ autogen buildings and the sharp borderline where htey stop generating that is really throwing me off. Maybe you are right with the pop in and delayed generation of those, the borderline seems way more obvious than before…
Now I really wish I took some before and after screenshots of the exact same spot so I can make sure it was always generating building/houses at similar distance.

2 Likes

Card is steady in the 70’s in flight, thanks, and I clean my PC monthly. Even if there were dust bunnies, I don’t think they would magically appear overnight right when SU5 happens to drop. I think the culling setting changes made in this update were just too aggressive, although I don’t think it’s as bad as some of the rather hysterical posts here since yesterday make it out to be.

1 Like

Maybe they secretly support the global warming theory, I was looking for stiltsville along the Fla coast and could not find one single sign of it. Now where am I gonna film the remake of Miami Vice hehehe

The water levels are way to high everywhere not just there. It always been that way in the MSFS genre P3D suffers from it as well, even in Xplane the water levels arent quite right.

1 Like

Is it a theory?? :wink: (sorry, trying to be funny)

Of course it is, if you listen to the geologist and archeologists, they’ll tell you that the earth has a wobble in its rotation. And every 56k years marks one wobble. We are at the end of one of those wobbles,Even the Mayans knew it, it ended on 122112. (remember the end of the world predictions) In 16000 years from now people are going to crying about global cooling and the on comming glaciers… Mark My Words … LOL ;p

2 Likes

came here to see if anyone else was having these issues, didnt take long to find this thread. I have a very similar experience. I dont have hard 'before / after ’ screen grabs but I just did a flight from LA to SF

• The cities looked horrible - vast empty spaces everywhere except the few squares that loaded in around the plane.
  • The draw distance was in my opinion significantly worse than before.
  • Textures in non urban / rural areas were blurred, washed out until I was basically above them.
  • I am yet to close / exit the game without the sim crashing. Not once in the mulitple times I have booted it up, has closed successfully.
  • I have had in the region of 5 - 10 CTD in game. Something that has not happened to me before this update for me.
  • I have not changed my settings from before this update. I 'm not pushing my hardware. Its running the exact same spec as before the update.

Its great this update is improving the experience for so many people. It feels like this has come at the expense of higher end hardware being pushed to the limit and deliveriying what was a great experience (for me) before this update.

2 Likes

Same problems with draw distance here. I fly almost always in the Salt Lake valley in Utah, and now I can’t see downtown SLC’s buildings until I’m within about
5 miles. I used to see them from anywhere in the valley, however small they might have been. All my settings and specs are the same. SU5 strikes again!

3 Likes

LOL!.. Seriously, another thing I noticed on the water is the way they changed the animation where it meets the land. It looks more like a reflection now, and they are tsunami like, judging from the distance.

1 Like

“we do not dumb down the graphics”
soon in a Q&A “we tested with an earlier version, we can’t see it” :joy: