Sensitivity nightmares

Since Microsoft didn’t release a manual, can somebody explain to us what are these settings:
JOYSTICK L-AXIS X
JOYSTICK L-AXIS Y
JOYSTICK L-AXIS Z
JOYSTICK R-AXIS X
JOYSTICK R-AXIS Y
JOYSTICK R-AXIS Z
JOYSTICK SLIDER X
JOYSTICK SLIDER X
JOYSTICK SLIDER Y

and on top of that we have Sensitivity + and -

If you have a conventional joystick, i.e., it has only one handle and rotates/moves in eight directions and potentially also rotates on a Z axis (twist handle for rudder), then:

Joystick L means the joystick movements in all eight directions. X is usually roll (left or right) and Y is pitch (toward/away from you).

Joystick R is the Rudder Twist (if present on your joystick). That is the Z axis.

Notably I do not see Joystick L Z axis as a valid entry on my joystick, but that just may be a manufacturer variance.

Joystick Slider is the control for a built-in throttle on your joystick.

Sensitivity + and - just means you want to assign a movement specific to an axis. Unless that’s really what you want to do, it just makes more sense to assign the Axis ONLY to a movement - i.e., Aileron (roll) should be Joystick L Axis X, period.

Here is what I have.

So Joystick L is actually the controller on the right and Joystick Slider is the throttle. if Joystick L also twists, you can assign Joystick R Z axis to that.

OK thanks. Here is what MSFS assigned my Joystick.

JOYSTICK L-AXIS X -Aileron
JOYSTICK L-AXIS Y - Elevator
JOYSTICK L-AXIS Z - Throttle
JOYSTICK R-AXIS X -Nothing
JOYSTICK R-AXIS Y - Nothing
JOYSTICK R-AXIS Z - Rudder
JOYSTICK SLIDER X - Nothing
JOYSTICK SLIDER Y - Nothing

Those that are not used must I Reset them to the default settings?

Hm - does the actual throttle on your controller work in this configuration? If you highlight this control mapping and move the throttle back and forth, does the white bar on the screen move to show the sim recognizes the control? If it does, that’s fine, I was just surprised that it considers the separate throttle to be Joystick L.

For the rest, you can reset them to default if you like. Just be on the lookout that the defaults aren’t duplicating the controls already assigned as you noted above. Otherwise you may end up with odd controller behavior while in the sim.

I think we were trying to get this across in your original post. If you are in the calibration screen you can move the stick to see what belong to what.
If you installed the Thrustmaster software that came with it it should have configured itself (you might want the buttons to do something else).

HOTAS 4

Thanks meh1951 for the explanation. I did install the Thrustmaster software that came with it and allocate the Throttle to JOYSTICK L-AXIS Z. For trim I also allocated the same buttons as you are and the Sensitivity is controlled by JOYSTICK SLIDER X. I also use JOYSTICK L-AXIS X and JOYSTICK L-AXIS Y for ailerons and elevator respectively. As it works shall I leave them then like this?

Easy way to check which one is which, is to actually move the joystick or the throttle. When you move them, make a note and which movement makes the dot move in the sensitivity curve. When that happen, then that’s the movement for the each of these axis labels.

1 Like

Found this on the web … it might help

(2) MSFS - Adjusting Controller Sensitivity Curves - YouTube

1 Like

I just watched this yesterday… highly recommended

Thanks a lot. Very interesting

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.