Servers Offline January 30, 2022 - Having to Use a VPN to Connect to any Online Functionality

I live in the North of England.

Why am I having to connect to a VPN in order to get any online functionality today? This is not the first time I have had to use a VPN to fully access MSFS. In fact, I subscribed to a VPN exclusively because of MSFS’s tendency to either boot me out, or simply not even let me in, to the online portion of the sim.

How come these things always seem to happen at weekends, holidays, etc?

That last line is a rhetorical question.

Thank you.

4 Likes

It may be your ISP throttling your service? I have had to use VPN to download updates at a decent speed (looking at you Virgin Media).

1 Like

I’m in the North East of England on Virginmedia and I’m not having any issues.

Who is your ISP?

1 Like

Getting fsx style ground textures here (UK user) even though online services are all switched on in the sim. First time this has ever happened to me, talktalk unlimited usage.

I’m in Liverpool and online services won’t work. I have just upgraded to WIndows 11 but was happening before that. with 100mb Virgin Media

You could try trying to get a different IP address by switching your VM router off for an hour. Strangely I built my new machine on Friday and was able to download the whole sim (premium deluxe) in under 2 hours on Vm (which is a first.)

Looking forward to being able to switch to city fibre in the coming months though.

I would agree with BurstPaladin784.
Your internet provider is throttling the speed, probably because of the increased usage on their servers on the weekend.
There are all kinds of posts in here that specifically mention Virgin Media doing this.

It’s highly highly doubt it’s anything to do with ISP’s throttling speeds.

It looks very much like the servers are playing up again. I’m in the UK, just loaded the sim and it told me I wasn’t connected. Went to check which was the fastest server to try and connect to and there wasn’t a single server in the list, just a spinning wheel next to Automatic :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

To prove it has nothing to do with my ISP, just beforehand I’d downloaded an update for another game on Steam of approx 10GB in a matter of seconds. FWIW I have a 1GB connection hardwired to my PC.

How are Asobo ever meant to get on top of crashes and bug fixes when the servers are this consistently flaky? I’m still convinced that a lot of the problems people experience with FS2020 are down to server side problems.

4 Likes

There seems to be issues with Online Services at the moment - reports of this over on Discord too.

7 Likes

Problem here in Sweden to.

It’s always the same when this happens. I loaded up a flight a couple of hours ago and my pretty consistent capped 60fps was in the high 40’s at a place that that never happens.

Cue head scratching, settings changes and benchmarking from me to try and figure out what had changed on my PC when I really should have known better.

This seems to be happening every other day at the minute.

Having an issue connecting to server here in Canada

me too in France

No online functionality for me here in Edinburgh.

I’m having issues as well in the midlands (England) keeps discounting. But still connected to Xbox live, and can stream other games perfectly fine. My internet speed is just over 1gb down and 100 up. No problems with that.

Even on the test connection in the settings it says it’s fine.

It keeps connecting then disconnecting is a CM aware? @SeedyL3205

We are aware and monitoring it. Please do not ping team members. Thank you.

6 Likes

Same issue in Germany.

OK sorry, perhaps put a pinned message on the main page then?

6 Likes

just finished all my jobs for the day and time to chill in flight sim hahah. GRRRR. :slight_smile:

1 Like