Settings That Work Great with HP Reverb G2 Out in Country with RTX 2070 Super, 32 Gb RAM, i9-9900K

Not having a Valve Index like CptLucky8 to be able to run under the great supersampling settings available in Steam VR or being able to find an RTX 3090 at a reasonable price (and fit it in my computer!), I took a riff off CptLucky8’s Steam VR settings and found some Windows Mixed Reality settings with the OpenXR Developer’s Tools that work amazingly well (in my limited experience with VR) with my HP Reverb G2 for lollygagging sightseeing out in the country.

I use most of the very high graphics settings that CptLucky8 uses for his Index in SteamVR but with the following critical differences (described in the terminology he uses). 100% TAA in MSFS but only 60% SS in OpenXR with motion reprojection always enabled. HAGS ON (game mode off) but only 60 Hz frame rate in Windows Mixed Reality headset settings. To maximize the sweet spot size, it pays to carefully adjust the G2 both horizontally and vertically on your head, as many have pointed out before.

I find the settings stupendous in GA aircraft flying about 1,000 ft off the ground at less than 100 knots or so. I have tested the performance of the ICON A5, the ZLIN Ultrashock, and the TBM 930 in just few “boonie” locales and am satisfied with the scenery visuals. I’m climbing, descending, and banking only relatively slowly. Lewis’s Ready-To-Fly Theorem is that you can almost tell from the performance of your mouse in VR when you try to click Ready-To-Fly how good or bad any choice of settings is going to be from how well or poorly the mouse responds to your efforts … Flying in drone camera view behind the plane is usually smoother than being in the cockpit and if there are blackouts with head movement on first loading (Monument Valley, AZ), they may go away completely if you give a plane some flying time (happened with ICON A5 there).

The detailed settings below are by no means optimized. They undoubtedly could be improved but they’re good enough for me for now. Suggestions for improvements or criticisms are both most welcome. The settings are rather terrible in flying over Manhattan and my surmise is that it’s all the photogrammetry involved there. Am looking into alternative settings for NYC and the like.

I adjusted the physical IPD on my G2 in-flight in VR by the sharpness of distant scenery and came up with 64.4 mm whereas Costco Optical says the distance IPD for my eyes by their precise instrument is 62.4 mm. YMMV.

Places Tested

Mann Gulch, MT Icon A5, TBM 930 @ Latitude=N 46° 53’ 30.11" Longitude=W 111° 53’ 28.46"

TBM 930 works pretty well in Mann Gulch, cockpit little blurry, jittery but side-to-side head movements in cockpit fine. FWIW, FPS in developer mode higher for TBM than for Icon A5??? FPS monitor says limited by GPU (is all yellow, no red)

Monument Valley, AZ Icon A5 @ Latitude=N 37° 2’ 12.20" Longitude=W 110° 6’ 1.26"

Icon A5 starting in Monument Valley, lot of blackouts (more photogrammetry?), give it a chance, fly in drone camera mode, much better, can switch back to cockpit view without initial problems. Then no blackouts with side to side head movement.

Machu Pichu, Peru ZLIN Ultrashock @ Latitude=S 13° 9’ 46.56" Longitude=W 72° 32’ 41.91"

GREAT– cockpit glare, reflections, etc. in ZLIN Ultrashock. Turn windshield effects off for this plane? Scenery stupendous.

Gory details …

Computer: Dell XPS 8930 SE, i9-9900K, 4.7 GHz, 32 Gb 2666 MHz RAM, RTX 2070 Super 8 Gb VRAM, sim installed on non-system Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 603 Gb free, 100 Gb rolling cache (probably a waste).

Windows Power Options: High Performance Settings -if you don’t see, click “Show Additional Plans” and use at your own risk only if you have adequate thermal cooling.

Windows Graphics and Gaming Settings: HAGS ON, Game Mode OFF

Windows Mixed Reality Settings

Visual Quality of My Home: Low, 720p

Experience Options: Best Visual Quality

Resolution: 4320 x 2160

Frame Rate: 60 Hz

Calibration: 64.40 mm IPD set in SIM by best sharpness of distant scenery with G2 slider. YMMV

OXR settings

Latest Preview OXR Runtime: ON

Custom Render Scale: 60%

Motion Reprojection: ALWAYS ON

Advanced Settings: All UNCHECKED

Nvidia Settings

Nvidia 466.11 Driver

Nvidia Control Panel MSFS Program Settings in Manage 3D Settings (~same as CptLucky8 Index)

Feature Setting
Image Sharpening Use global setting (Off)
Ambient Occlusion Not supported for this application
Anisotropic filtering Use global setting (Application-controlled)
Antialiasing - FXAA Use global setting (Off)
Antialiasing - Gamma correction Use global setting (On)
Antialiasing - Mode Use global setting (Application-controlled)
Antialiasing - Setting Use global setting (Application-controlled)
Antialiasing - Transparency Use global setting (Off)
Background Application Max Frame Rate Use global setting (Off)
CUDA - GPUs Use global setting (All)
Low Latency Mode On
Max Frame Rate Use global setting (Off)
Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) Not supported for this application
OpenGL rendering GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2010 SUPER
Power management mode Use global setting (Optimal power)
Shader Cache Use global setting (On)
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample opti… On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias Allow
Texture filtering - Quality’ Performance
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization On
Threaded optimization On
Triple buffering Off
Vertical sync Fast
Virtual Reality’ pre-rendered frames 1
Virtual Reality’ — Variable Rate Super Sampling… Not supported for this application

On Texture Filtering Quality, going from Quality to Performance to High Performance gives increasing levels of performance for me (less judder) but also decreasing levels of scenery sharpness

MSFS 2020 Settings

I run the SIM FULL SCREEN

VR Graphics Settings ~same as CptLucky8’s with some lowered, e.g. Buildings

FS2020 .
Render Scaling 100
Anti-Aliasing TAA
Terrain LOD 100
Terrain Vector Data ULTRA
Buildings MEDIUM Might want to increase
Trees ULTRA
Grass and Bush MEDIUM
Object LOD 100
Clouds LOW Might want to increase
Texture Res. ULTRA
Anisotropic Filter. 8x
Texture SS 4x4
Texture Synth. ULTRA
Water Waves MEDIUM Might want to increase
Shadow Maps 768
Terrain Shadows 256
Contact Shadows LOW
Windshield MEDIUM
Ambient Occlusion LOW
Reflections HIGH Could turn down or off
Light Shafts HIGH Could turn down or off
BLOOM OFF
Glass Cockpit Rate MEDIUM Might want to increase
3 Likes

Nice. I’ve been through this myself on my setup with the G2 and it is hard work :grin:

One thing you might try, looking at your config, is to try turning custom render scale in OpenXR to off, i.e. not have a fixed number. Recent versions of OpenXR seem to be doing a really good job of doing this automatically.

In my case made a great improvement while out bush flying but also makes more built up areas more bearable. Of course, YMMV :wink:

1 Like

Thankyou for sharing this! I found out that mine was way smoother when I unistalled openxr. I only use mixed reality portal. U can try that to if you want!

2 Likes

Can you use windows mixed reality portal with the rift s?

There is this thread on the Rift S - seems that the answer is No in the thread, with people debating what the OP says. Oculus Rift S - Super happy! Hope it helps someone!. No firsthand knowledge about it myself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.