Severe Problems on Xbox After Sim Update 9

Yeah I agree, so what I do is choose select waypoints, Google the weather in that location and then manually change it.
If it’s a short flight I usually change to my destination weather just before start of descent.
It’s not as dynamic but the SoFly weather pro has about 40 presets, whereas the stock msfs presets are about 9. So you get more accurate representation in that regard I guess.

3 Likes

Lol that’s some workaround indeed :grinning::+1:

I always have live weather turned on , always. Rarely get CTDs. For me it dosnt seem to be the issue

1 Like

I flew the 787 from KSFO to KBOS yesterday with online real traffic along with all the online data minus multiplayer — these are the settings I always use — and had a great flight.

Of course, I’m the kind of weirdo who actually sits there for the entire 4 hour 45 minute flight and interacts with ATC, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 787 seems to have had some fixes since I last flew it, too.

Once again, I find my experience in such stark contrast to those posted here.

It has more to do with the area you fly at, the height etc. Also what 3rd party addons you use makes a world of difference.

Another thing is what other traffic have you turned on or off, airport vehicles, cars, boats etc those all make a huge impact. The more animated AI you got turned on the more CTD you get because you run out of memory since there is a memory leak at the moment which causes thecrashes

2 Likes

In cockpit view, you don’t experience any stuttering at all?

A large part of the issue is server as well. I’ve personally noticed massive performance difference between for example the west Europe server and the northern one .
But you are right regarding the add-ons. There’s guys on here saying they can’t even takeoff without CTD. Whilst I got the odd on for sure it’s never been the game breaking issue for me . So I have to assume it’s the add-ons. I have 1 airport and the livery packs and that’s pretty much it

1 Like

I’d say it is pretty minimal.

Frankly, I’ve got a different set of expectations here than, perhaps, some of you.

I’ve got a PC and I get stuttering there. I have far more control over what mitigates the stuttering and I’ve read mass numbers of threads and posts on this forum about the issues this sim has in terms of DX11 vs DX12 and the lack of, true, DX12 support and how that effects performance issues and stuttering.

My belief is that the sim isn’t even running DX12 on Xbox in its truest sense. I’m fairly certain that the DX12 implementation for Xbox is a stop-gap measure utilized in porting the sim from the DX11-based Flight Simulator X code to work on the DX12-based Xbox Series S/X.

The reason I believe this, is because I’d think the PC version would fully support DX12 as a result of the efforts to fully implement it on Xbox. However, it doesn’t fully support it on PC even in the DX12 Beta mode available on PC.

Anyhow, how all this relates to your question is, I understand the sim is built on 2006-era simulator code and is in transition towards modern architecture. I cannot see how any of our performance issues Xbox or PC will ever get better until DX12 is fully implemented and much of old FSX code is replaced with modern code.

My stuttering is totally tolerable and doesn’t hinder my ability to operate the aircraft. I mostly see it when switch Instrument views and very occasionally when panning around the cockpit. I can taxi, take-off, cruise and, most importantly, land without stuttering or FPS dramas.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. In my case, I see it pretty much all the time when panning around in cockpit view. I can still operate the aircraft, but it’s not an pleasant experience. But, and this is what other people are saying too, there are the occasional flights where the stuttering is much less of an issue, and that is when flying in less populated areas such as the Middle - East, Africa or Asia for example. Europe and USA are the worst. So yes, in my opinion it heavily depends on where you fly also.

But when the stuttering is there, it is much more noticeable then in for example the A320. I thought it maybe is also related to the much more detailed instruments on the 787…

The best experience I have, in terms of performance, is in the Embraer’s. Those aircraft have a far less detailed flightdeck, hence the outstanding performance compared to the 787…

3 Likes

For me on the Series X its the other way around I have a better experience when in cockpit view then when i switch to external view, this is also a thing that me and 2 scenery developers went through since a lot of CTD’s with their scenery only happened when in external view. Apparently when in external view it uses a lot more memory then when in cockpit view.

3 Likes

Couple of disappointing CTDs at the payware Dublin airport whilst on the ground. Tried to replicate it with no success. Appears random

Probably the same as with many a memory issue, its hoping Microsoft / Asobo fixes the memory issue soon in the mean time you could contact the scenery developer and as if they can somehow lower the memory usage. I did for 2 scenery creators and they pushes an update this weekend now its just waiting until Microsoft puts the update online

1 Like

The developers are currently looking into this as it’s a known issue for the past few months. It’s both an Xbox and PC issue. You can vote and discuss it here → CTD/freezing at Dublin (EIDW)

2 Likes

My biggest issue since SU9 is the terrible texture / photogrammetry streaming from the FS servers, that combined with the removal of all data caching options means the game looks awful at times.

Did you try anything to get the data options back (XBox)? For me the “shrinking action” (on XBox games) brought the data options and the rolling cache back. Just search for the thread that has specific instructions.

Here are the instructions for shrinkable games on Xbox:

Settings > System > Storage Devices > Internal
Storage > View Contents > then scroll down to
Manage/Queue > Free Up Space > Shrinkable Games.

2 Likes

Why did the data options disappear for some i wonder because forme they are still there and i sure didnt shrink the game

It’s easy…if the image is not smooth and is choppy…the FPS are low… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not been on this for a while, so needed to update some stuff since USA world update, Nordics world update for some reason will not update, it keeps saying an update is available.

We pretty much all had that issue, fix is to uninstall that update, restart your console then reinstall the dlc make sure you close the sim dont keep it in quick resume

1 Like