Severe stutters and crackling audio using 1.18.15.0

Today I was doing a several hours flight in the TBM 930. It started off just fine with no issues but a couple of hours into the flight and once I got closer to my destination, the performance started going down the drain resulting in severe stutters plus the audio was constantly crackling. I was honestly surprised I made it down on the ground without me crashing due to the lousy performance which made it very hard to fly or the simulator crashing due its technical problems causing the situation in the first place.

Haven’t had this before 1.18.15.0.

Anyone else witnessed the same thing?

I’m on Windows 10, fully up to date. My hardware is a Core i7-8086K, a 3090, 32 GB RAM and an HP Reverb G2 headset. My Nvidia version is 471.41

Since Su 5 i have short Sound cut offs for only 1 secound. A
Nd that apears often in an flight. This happens only in the msfs 2020 to me

1 Like

It’s the same issue as this

Sound crackling is one of the symptoms that crop up after a couple hours.

2 Likes

Same happens to me, never had it before 1.18.15.0.
Sound crackling is the first symptom, then the FPS drop, and if I keep on flying it usually degenerates in a CTD.

4 Likes

I just notice that now, its super annoying. I’ve 3h of flight and now appears this cracking sound. Maybe it’s related with degradation performance during a flight

1 Like

I had crackling sound after the latest Nvidia driver update through GeForce Experience. I uninstalled GeForce Experience and the crackling has gone. Some conflict maybe? It worked for me, give it a try, you can always re-install it.

asobo uses full blown web browsers in their instrumentation which have a long history of mismanaging memory. this is why the longer the flight the slower it goes; especially if a flight plan over a long distance is involved. web browsers use “garbage collection” as a sort of hack to replace proper coding expertise but the game must pause to do this - that’s the stutter. audio devices use buffers - especially when software features are involved and during this garbage collection can underrun requiring a device reset.

1 Like

Yep. It started in 1.18.15.0 and is prevalent in most of the aircraft I fly. Track IR5 is a mess, as the audio crackles and pops as I move my head around.

2070 Super, i9-10900K, nVidia driver 457.30

1 Like

I finally got SU5 to be installed, but now find when I launch it (from the XBox App in PC) there is audio dropouts as Sim is being launched to then stopping and cursor freezes. When I check Resources, I notice that the GPU demand is high from 80% and higher.
Whats with this SU5 and its attack on resources, whist the game is loading. Not even in Flight…

it’s probably rendering frames at a high rate - locking the framerate in the nvidia profile can help with this.

I’ve noticed that if I have my Honeycomb switches on for battery to power up from scratch, as soon as I spawn in I can CTD so I know the Garmin load the cpu a fair bit. I use the TBM mod where the doors open also. If I’ve the screens load and the doors open it’s a guaranteed CTD.
I hope down the track the do what they can to use the CPU’s better. It’s a little annoying to think that they are not being fully utilised. Using all the threads.

I have the Exact same problem! Couple of hours into the flight and Audio Stuttering and crackling starts and i get frame stutter when panning the views! So much annoying…

2 Likes

Yeap I experience the same. Stuttering and cracking sound.

Did you also delete the Graphics driver and Audio driver.

I have this issue aswell.

No I only uninstalled Nvidia Geforce Experience and it solved my crackling.

My sound starts to crackle and cut out on the ground. Yet I’m also having bad performance on the ground. In flight the sound is fine.

However I’ve had worse performance on the ground without the sound cutting out. It’s a new thing for me since 1.21.18.0. In 1.18.15.0 I would get the crackle on long flights with performance degrading over time. Now I have it straight away, starting cold and dark at the airport.

I am still experiencing this issue and have been for months. Tried so many possible solutions to no avail. With me the issue seems to happen even after the latest update for the sim (always after a few hours in the air) With running a 3060TI and Ryzen 7 2700x I would expect far better performance than under 10fps with the audio crackling.

Remove YourControl from Community folder

That’s good advice. Didn’t realize that addon could cause these kind of issues but will keep in mind. Since I do use that one every now and then.

EDIT - NOPE…the issue came back and I cannot fix it with what I believed fixed it the last time.
------ original post 4/3/2022 ----
I was experiencing constant “crackle” in the audio only while in MSFS. I tried everything suggested in every post I could find related to pops and crackle, but with no success. I am using an external USB-C Audio Interface from Presonus.

I stumbled on the solution today so wanted to share it.

I have a Nvidia GeForce graphics card and tried a clean install of the drivers and supporting software for the card. This time, I elected NOT to install the Nvidia USB-C Audio Driver (I am not using the Nvidia for Audio). This appears to have resolved the issue.

I suppose the Nvidia USB driver was somehow interfering with the Presonus audio interface.

Hope this somehow helps someone else having a similar issue.

1 Like