Sharing: I'm an idiot

Four hours into a flight about an hour from my destination I saw some very pretty clouds over Turkey and everything was running very smoothly so I thought I’d try to record a short video clip using the Nvidia overlay. Alt+F2 is for screengrabs, F3 opens the filter options, so maybe video is Alt+F4, I thought to myself… I’m now staring at my desktop with my head hung in shame.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who (like me) has spent 31 years using computers and didn’t know what Alt+F4 did…

Update: the flight is cursed. At about 100ft from threshold the server disconnected and I couldn’t pause quickly enough to get rid of the big popup message in the centre of the screen. Crashed in a very different way. Calling it a day.

34 Likes

Oof. I feel your pain.

ALT-F9 should record your video with the Nvidia overlay.

5 Likes

Done that. More than once :grinning:

5 Likes

Reminds me of the early days when a hacker said he could hack anything, so someone told him to hack the server at 127.0.0.1

13 Likes

It happens. Use this opportunity to learn other ‘cool’ shortcuts that may be helpful or useful in Windows:

1. 20 essential Windows keyboard shortcuts to save you a click
  2. Keyboard shortcuts in Windows

LOL, thats a funny but sad one

OOOhhh. After using computers for about the same time … I didn’t know that either! When I’m king of the world, I will add that to my list of banned keys - along with CAPS LOCK :rofl: My policy when flying (always in VR) … don’t touch the keyboard. You have just reinforced my paranoia!

2 Likes

I do find it a bit weird that MSFS doesn’t show a “confirm quit to desktop” dialog on Alt+F4. Should be rather easy to add, unless UWP / Xbox compatibility adds obstacles. In regular programming you can just catch the message Windows sends on Alt+F4 and do whatever you wish (including ignore it entirely) – such as creating a “confirm quit” dialog.

3 Likes

Alt + F4 is reserved for when the signigant other comes around and you need to dump screens quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Nothing to do with MSFS. It is a windows thing.

1 Like

Alt+F4 is yes, but you can easily catch it. Alt+F4 simply sends a WM_CLOSE process to the active window; it’s up to the programmer(s) what you do with it. The default action is it to close, but you can override that in 2 lines of code.

5 Likes

Exactly … same goes for X-ing out of MSFS by mistake if in Window mode

What is strange is that there appears to be a default keybind for the keyboard for ALT F4, ( “SELECT 4” ), but ALT F4 still shuts down MSFS.

3 Likes

I have that as a button on my Streamdeck so I can easily stop/start recording, and also so I don’t accidentally clip something I shouldn’t!

1 Like

I’ve run out of buttons on my StreamDeck !!! j/k

1 Like

That is absolutely hilarious :laughing: Your are no longer a CSO at that deserves a cookie.
I’ve been messing with PC’s for over 30 years so I feel your pain in a good way.

Cheers
PACO572

1 Like

That’s even funnier. Asobo making the same mistake.

3 Likes

Submit a ticket…I tried to select 4 using the keyboard and got a CTD….and see what they say.

4 Likes

Surprised that Win + Up Arrow is not on the list. It will maximize the current window. Its also super useful when a windows gets “lost” after you dock/undock or remove a second monitor.

1 Like

when my mom asked me --what key i have to press? i said --any. then she pressed alt. it’s only one(two if be correct) that is not exist in the any key’s family