Shimmering and AA

Is there any way to get rid of the shimmering - is it caused by poor AA? It’s awful. It is more apparent in mid distant buildings, I’m sure it wasn’t there or as bad before SU5.

5 Likes

Me too. Pretty sure it was never this bad (or present at all)
It’s not just buildings. It’s pretty much all ground assets in middle distance for me when I am flying in remote bush of Africa.

1 Like

It’s a bug or the way Asobo “optimized” the sim by trading visual fidelity for performance. Report it in the bug section so that they will fix it. I stopped flying after SU5.

4 Likes

Waiting for the fix.

1 Like

SU5 borked it. So bad

1 Like

No mention of it in the latest development update. The next WU has virtually no VR improvements.

1 Like

I think a lot of us also feel that the image is less clear in VR than before - what say you?

3 Likes

Definitely not so good like in simupdate 4.

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve noticed shimmering being particularly bad in SU5, and no worse than it was before.

EXCEPT one occasion when I forgot to start the headset and did so after I’d loaded MSFS. The shimmering was terrible, and kinda like what everyone has been describing. Otherwise everything was running as normal.

I restarted the computer, made sure headset was active first then restarted MSFS. And - all was back as I expected it; without any extreme shimmering. And no other changes in settings either.

There must be a clue in this about what’s going on. Only I’m not smart enough to figure it out.

1 Like

But it’s not only in FS… also in other games

You think it is because of a windows or nvidia update or something else?

From what I saw, a lot of people complain about bad AA also on xplane etc. I started to see flickering on battlefield v too

Well I installed DCS World and started my long training, and I can tell you the VR experience with my G2 is so much clearer. Night and day really. I was actually super happy about this, because it means that the blurriness and shimmering in MSFS are really not due to the G2 and can (will!) be fixed by Asobo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m doing the same thing with the P-51 on my G2 before buying a Mk IX Spitfire for WWII maps and probably the A10 for modern combat to start with. Man, it’s a steep learning curve setting things up.

I agree, the DCS VR experience is way better and that’s without purchasing any hand crafted maps.

Nothing to do with them, it was a regression in SU5 and Asobo need to fix it.

2 Likes

There’s not many fixes mentioned yet across the board, but it’s also not the full list that will be released on Sept 7th.

Neither of these two apply to me but the first one in particular maybe very important for some VR users, so at least they’re doing something for us (better than nothing like we’ve seen in recent months!):

-The title no longer crashes when quitting the sim in VR
-Various tutorial fixes: briefs and debriefs are properly displayed, players can complete all the objectives in VR now

I reckon they’ve just reduced the amount of TAA overall. Apparently it’s pretty taxing on a system but does a great job with eliminating AA.

If you can change your monitor to 30hz resolution your problems of shimmering will be solved :+1:

could you elaborate this a bit more? What does monitor refresh rate have to do with vr rendering exactly?

Yeah what does the monitor refresh have to do with VR?