Shimmering and AA

The shimmering is so awful when flying near cities. This is the #1 bug/problem in VR IMO. Anyone agree? It really ruins the experience for me. If there was a viable alternative to MSFS (xplane doesnt count for me), I would switch.

Anyone else feel like this? I don’t understand how everyone just tolerates it, unless some people really don’t have it. In which case, how is that possible??

3 Likes

I feel exactly the same way. I know from experience that there are people who are not as bothered with the shimmering as i am (and you, obviously). I personally can’t stand it. There are ways to alleviate it, lessen it. And it does seem that the higher the resolution, the less it’s obvious, but overall it’s not something that you can avoid. So yes, i completely undestand you. The most efficient way that i found to lessen it was switching to “optimize for perfomance” in Windows mixed reality portal settings. Also setting buildings to medium. But setting “optimize for performance” for some reason completely messes up the FOV on my headset and it’s like it’s not just a smaller FOV, it’s actually rubberbanding and fluctuating on the edges of the fov, it’s unbarable. If i try flying without MR it’s barable but i can’t tolerate the ghosting when MR is disabled (i just can’t, i was able to even produce 50 fps and i still didn’t like it), i just love the total smoothness i get with motion reprojection. I couldn’t find any other way to manage the shimmering tho. It’s not aliasing that’s the problem per se. It has something to do with how light is rendered because if you stand completely still on the runway with sun bathing on the concrete you will see that it’s shimmering, pulsating sorta. That’s why buildings look so horrible too. That’s all i have :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it’s definitely light-related. I can’t even fly in broad daylight because it shimmers so hard, I do dusk or dawn or heavy clouds.

I will take a look at the “optimize for performance” thing, doubt it helps though. I’ve already tried just about everything else. Even when I crank up the render scales so high that it’s a slideshow it only gets a little better.

I actually have buildings on low because even medium shimmers so much more.

I never use MR, I can’t stand the artifacts. 44fps+ is absolutely fine for me in terms of smoothness.

Have you tried DX12? Might try that just to see if it’s any better, even if it doesn’t run well yet. At least that would give some hope for the future since Asobo doesn’t seem to care at all…

Is there anyone using a G2 that doesn’t have awful shimmering on autogen buildings and trees at mid to far distance, especially in broad daylight?

1 Like

Completely agree with you. I’m just wondering…is it just me or has this problem occured at some point after some SU? Or has it been there the entire time. I could swear it’s not something that was obvious in the beggining. Oh also, Dx12 does nothing for me in terms of shimmering.

Yeah it definitely started with SU5, the big Xbox update, this is a known fact.

I mean there was a hint of shimmer before, but it’s a night and day difference.

The main shimmer bug thread is here btw, we got to keep it active:

Shame about DX12…

2 Likes

Disable Ansio filtering in sim and enable x16 @videocard settings such as Nvidia Control Panel. Fixed it for me.

i have that set as it is. It doesn’t help the shimmer for me, sadly. Thanks though

1 Like

Didn’t help me

I don’t have the issue but I suspect the headsets and various runtimes come into play.

Only playable setup I have with my Quest 2 is through Virtual Desktop, OpenXR FSR scaling, and SteamVR. The FSR scaling essentially eliminated shimmering for me.

Hello again mate. Have you tried setting your WMR to “optimize for performance” yet? I have just tested it again and i can confirm it dramatically reduces the shimmering while also improves performance. But for me it sadly comes with a hefty price. It reduces my FOV and i can see the edges of the FOV being tracked my with head movement. Since it produces amazing visual results in other regards i have decided it’s easier to bear with this fov “distorsion” than the shimmering. Hope this helps you. Let me know.

i’m running i7 9700k, rtx 2070 and an older WMR (Dell Visor). My OXR is 150% and ingame TAA is 80% (cca 2100x2100). Oh and i’m also running with MR. I have been using the OXR tool because i very much like the world scale feature, however i can’t find any useful combination with it that would produce a better result visually or performance-wise than without it. Actually, i have found out today it’s actually hurting my overall performance so i disabled the layer completely.

I just installed SU8 Beta and did a flight in TBM930. Everything worked smoothly. Two things I noticed, the volumetric lighting works and the shimmering seems to be gone. It’s too early to tell if it’s just the location I flew (KSAN-KLAX), so I will have to do a few flights. It also looks like the GPU utilization has been lowered for the same setting. I have my FPS locked at 32fps and with FSR95/OXR100/RS100, it’s using only about 83% compared to 88-90% in the previous version. Will try more flights and update.

2 Likes

I had actually forgotten about youe tip, thanks for reminding me. I just left VR, changed the setting, and went back in. Unfortunately it did not change the shimmerin at all, it may actually be slightly worse… but I also don’t get the distortion you speak of.

I have a G2, maybe that’s why it’s different… I am currentlky running OXR/125, FSR 75… but I have tried just about every possible combination, nothing really helps.

I’m very sorry to hear that :confused: well, i’d still take the shimmering if that would mean owning the sweet g2 :slight_smile: if i find any useful tips i’ll post here. Best of luck to you

I hate the ghost aka double vision with g2 also. But i dont like mp either. I did this

• g2 to 60hz mode
  • capped 60fps
  • playing with settings that i can fly 60fps with 90% gpu load

This is smooth as you can basicly get. Downside is that 60hz is not for everyone. I can play with it. Try 60hz+60fps.

i am very fascinated by the fact anyone can play on 60hz. For me it’s flickering like i’m looking into a strobe light :smiley: I have a hard time imagining that some eyes simply don’t perceive that at all

I dont have a problem with ith double vision, only shimmering

Oh man…i just did a bit more experimenting. Are you sure you sufficiently exeprimented with the “optimise for performance mode” in WMR? I strongly suggest you read this thread (at least the original post and a few wmr devs responses down below. It would seem the mode is bugged and while it drops the FOV it DOESN’T also drop the targer render resolution, which effectively results in much more clear picture in headset. I don’t know about the g2, but on older headsets this is insane. I have to create a thread for this.

Interesting and quitr backwards, how the optimize mode can improve image quality.

But yeah im not really sure how to experiment with it other than leaving VR, turning the mode on,and going back in. Or do i need to reboot the PC in between?

As i said, i tried it and saw no difference at all. The shimmering is clearly an issue with the game’s rendering itself, as the marked increase with SU5 shows. I think it needs to be fixed on the ground floor, anything else is just a workaround/bandaid, especially if it decreases FOV.

I am also beginning to get the impression that the shimmer is worst on the G2.

Or is anyone experiencing shimmer of horrendous levels in other headsets?

I think some people here may be discussing general and typical aliasing/sharpening shimmer, and others discussing the specific SU5 building shimmering bug which occurs on buildings in mid distance in certain lighting conditions.

For the shimmering building bug specifically, Yes for me on quest 2. I got the impression from reading comments that it is actually worse in the Quest 2, perhaps due to slightly lower resolution. BTW I have just posted a short video in the bug thread, I can see it being triggered by building LOD change, which I guess explains why it is always in the middle distance

■■■■ i overread your post before. You really tjink SU8 beta improves the shimmer? What headset do you have?

Oh man that would be epic