Should I get the PMDG 737-800?

So my friend has a $100 xbox gift card and I’m going to ask him if he can give it to me. If he does give it to me I’m planning to buy the PMDG 737-800. But is the 737-800 worth it and is there something better then the 737-800 that I can buy?

As a boeing fanboi i must be obliged to tell you that the 737-800 is a phenomenal plane and worth all the money

But it all depends on what you want to fly. Theres some decent GA planes for same/similar price that people are absolutely thrilled about.

Of course, that assumes your friend even gives you the gift card. If i had a $100 xbox gift card, i definitely wouldn’t give it to someone for no reason. And i don’t even have an xbox!

6 Likes

It’s absolutely worth it if you’re into airliners!

2 Likes

If you have to ask, you’ve not done your homework.

it’s just thát good.

1 Like

is the world round?

2 Likes

excuse me. Sir? This is a Christian Minecraft server. The world is a cube thank you very much :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The 737-800 and the 737-900 has a nasty visual glitch in the overhead panel (electric test panel.)
Only the 737-600 and the 737-700 doesn´t have this bug.
That´s why I recommend buying the -700 version :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for their trpple.
Actually for only one reason and that is because my late brother flew that bird untill he died , just one year before he’d retire as a captain.

4 Likes

So this is going to be an unpopular opinion but … if you have to ask a friend give you a gift card in order to buy a $70 high-fidelity aircraft for your simulator, you maybe should reconsider your priorities. This isn’t a plane you just spawn into on the runway and fly like a Cessna, not if you want to actually learn and understand how to fly it. If you’re willing to put in the dozens or hundreds of hours it will take you to get some degree of proficiency in flying it, maybe you should use some time to save up the $70 it takes to buy it for yourself and watch some of the many excellent tutorial videos on YouTube to prepare yourself for it.

11 Likes

I own it and love it but given they have come out on the Marketplace with a 737-600 for half the price and pretty much same functionalities I would consider that one if money is an issue.

1 Like

If you’re bothered about flying real-world routes the -800 is worth the money, since it offers the most flexibility (and liveries). But if you just want to fly the PMDG 737, the -600 makes more sense, financially. It’s half the price!

3 Likes

I am biased towards the Boeings in spite of all my real world flying has been in GA singles and twins. The PMDG 737-800 product includes four variants: -800, -800BBJ2, -800BCF and -800BDSF (a pax, a business jet and two cargo). The BBJ2 includes aux tanks that allow you to fly true long haul distances. The variety allows your imagination to go where your fancy takes you. The -800 variant has a longer body and weighs more than the smaller -700 and -600 (aka pocket rocket) so it takes more finesse in handling during rotation and landings, challenges that many enjoy.

1 Like

I was going to get the -800, but the -900 is nearly £20 less? I don’t get it, if its the same flight model why is it so much cheaper?
Cheers.

Must have for me. At least the 800 version.

Easy to handle aircraft with very good performance in sim

1 Like

in the marketplace, there is probably nothing better than the 738, or PMDG planes in general.
Yes, there are other very great products, but if you are looking for a modern airliner on Xbox, you dont have many options. So, go for it! But be prepared for a bit of a learning curve, if you are not yet familiar with “Study level” products.

1 Like

Because PMDG is greedy and the sell the less popular variants cheaper than the most popular ones…
The -800 / -900 are basically the same plane, the -900 is just a bit longer. But the 737-800 is widely used by airlines in the whole world, the 737-900 is more popular in the US than Europe, with some exceptions.

The -800 is used by very large Airlines like Southwest in the US and Ryanair in EU, so, they are EVERYWHERE! :grin:

Also, the flight model and other stuff is of course not the same in the -800 and -900, PMDG isnt the company to just sell you another 3D model, there are other (minor) differences, according to the real plane. So its more than just a longer variant.

4 Likes

Now I’m undecided again, is there any written data referencing the differences other than the stats on the market place? How does the differences effect the overall experiences of flying the different variants in the sim?
Cheers.

The -900 is cheaper because it’s only 2 variants (-900, -900ER) rather than 4 for the -800. And “the same flight model” is a gross simplification. As soon as you start flying them manually for takeoffs and landings, you will notice the difference in feel immediately between the various models.

5 Likes

Flying the -600 will be way different to flying the -900.

I’ve said before but I’ll say again: if you want to fly real-world routes, you will have way more than double the flexibility with the -800, even compared to the -700, which is only used ubiquitously in North America (SWA, UAL, WJA).

If, however, you just want to immerse yourself in the world of high-fidelity aircraft, and aren’t too fussed about sticking to reality, the -600 is probably the way to go. I only own the -800 but I imagine the -600 requires less care on T/O and landing due to the greatly reduced length. General performance will be slightly different, too.

If you want somewhere in between, and are on a budget, the -900 is the best option. Just remember, you won’t be able to be a freight dawg with it! You will, however, have access to a decent number of real-world routes, with airlines such as ASA, DAL, KAL, KLM, THY and UAL.

1 Like

Do you fly virtual airlines, or are you looking into it? check the routes with the corresponding planes. They require you to be in the correct plane to get the points, reward, whatever. In this case again the 738….

-Bram
SkyLane