Should I wait on MSFS2020?

Yes, theres too much comparison going on, own taste sold as facts, just the typical stuff in forums these days.

It is clear that there are some major quirks in MSFS don’t allow a full sim experience on any level yet…
When i bought it I was just coming from the FSlabs into MSFS, so i picked the A320 almost instantly and was so sad how bad the experience was, not systems wise, it was clear that it would lack on systems, but the whole flightdynamics felt so wrong. Was short of uninstalling the sim, but then tried these bushtrips, and saw these groupflights popping on twitch and these forums, and they were and are great fun even now.

Now I’m having a lot of fun with the enhanced standart planes, and the ones from carenado (lol last year I would have laughed at people who were buying them for P3D), waiting for the brilliant stuff from A2A and Justflight.
The A32NX mod is coming along well, and i could be almost bothered to do a full flight with it (will try this again, soon). Don’t have high hopes on the CRJ tho.

Most recently i did not a lot IFR tubeliner stuff over at P3D, I’m a bit bored of it at the moment, as I enjoy the VFR capabilitys of this sim (Even stock out of the box), and the many community made bushtrips.

So would recommend to the OP to just try it out for IFR (with the A320NX mod). But try out the GA stuff as well! As i thought by myself: I’m not a GA guy. But now look at me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As soon as MSFS2020 hit I never looked back P3D looks horrible and that’s a huge factor for me. Systems can be basic I don’t care.

If you are into arcade style gaming where realism and stability aren’t that important to you, then buy it.

However, I would recommend the standard version, as the planes in premium deluxe cannot be modded and are generally poorly modelled.

Alternatively, sign up for the Xbox game pass to try it. You get the rental first, if you like what you see, buy it.

Exactly my thoughts. This experiment could still go south if it turns out that Asobo took a bigger bite then they can chew. I am still waiting for the indicators that will show me that they understand “flight” & “simulator” and that development goes into the right direction.

4 Likes

That depends on your lifespan. It is what it is as they say. When u buy simulator of this magnitude there will be bugs, but with MS they will be many. However, you can still enjoy it.

I find their Professional series to be pretty high up there. Their 330 and CRJ are excellent!

This is not P3D. This is not X-plane. MSFS can’t be compared to either- it’s an entirely new ecosystem. Most of it works, some of it’s buggy. But, there’s a whole, dynamic world to explore nonetheless. I say pull the trigger and get it.

If you are a tubeliner guy- the FBW 320 is your best bet. The CJ4 actually has a vnav that works. So, that’s two- it’s not a lot, but it’s something. The 787 and 747 are toys- They fly nice but they have no systems to speak of. If you’re a VFR/GA guy, you’ll be in heaven. For me, I’m a tubeliner guy, so waiting for study-level jets has driven me crazy.

However, I’ve adapted to mixing things up a bit, and for the most part, I’m enjoying myself. You’ll see a lot of jets coming out in the next weeks/months as momentum builds. There are also literally teams of volunteers who are working on a handful of freeware tubeliners that will blow your socks off (to give you a taste of what’s coming).

Meanwhile, you can see the world like never before. But, photogammetry only looks good if you’re flying low and slow. Snow is nice. Weather is a huge step forward- but it’s not perfect. ATC is just as ridiculous as in FSX. Not many models for AI traffic either, so enjoying live traffic realistically is impossible atm. Hopefully that will change soon too. Night lighting is pretty good- except you can see airports for 50 miles just like we used to do in earlier sims.

This is just a taste of what to expect- but getting in now is a lot better than it was 6mos ago. Things will be a LOT better in the next few months.

Look at it this way- for all the complaining we see on this forum, and I’ve done my share- we’re still using the sim…

1 Like

Unless there’s a possibility that you will never buy it, you have nothing to lose by buying it now. If you buy it and the bugs are too much, just put it aside until they’re fixed.

1 Like

yeah but in term of realism, it’s not that good

1 Like

Actually my experience is more with X-Plane than P3D. X-Plane does do real weather fairly well IMO, especially with add-on’s which I don’t find necessary. I don’t need the clouds to look super real, I just want them to put me in IMC when it’s supposed to be IMC. In many cases the views I get are on par with what I see in MSFS. But of course not with the same potential FS has when it’s working.

No question the biggest problem with FS are the included planes. If the new CRJ, Just Flight’s Arrow, Milviz and eventually PMDG and other planes, address the aerodynamic issues like floating all the way down a runway, and crazy engine dynamics, then it will be a huge step forward to fix FS. I’m just not sure the current SDK let’s them control all those conditions. I’m going to wait and see just how those new planes are reviewed before spending any real money on them. My confidence is low but I hope I’m wrong. Real weather is extremely important and not sure how any new aircraft will fix that. As others have said, that should be priority one with Asobo. As I said, for $1 a month it’s certainly worth it if you have the time to try it.

It’s ■■■■■■■ amazing. Strong learning curve. Just buy it. Make sure you have the hardware to run it decently. Even at medium settings it’s still pretty awesome.

Thanks everyone . Side note question . I needed to upgrade my monitor since I’ve had dead pixels on my LG 34um95 for over a year . Need opinions on these :
-Samsung 49” CRG9 5120x1440 120hz 4ms
-Samsung 49” Odyssey 5120x1440 240hz 1ms
-LG 49” WL95C 5120x1440 60hz 5ms
-Alienware 38” 3840x1660 144hz 1ms

I have a rtx20180 ti and Alienware/odyssey have Gsync . The Samsung CRG9 has Freesync . The LG has nothing

Anyone have any suggestions ?

I was gonna type out a lengthy reply but then realized @SageGoldfish543 and @Elay3748 (and some others most likely) have already done a job better than I could have done. So yeah…definitely buy it and give it a try, but keep in mind MSFS 2020 is not prepar3d, dcs or XP and it’s got so many advanced staff belonging to the world simulation and flight model aspects that the latter three don’t have and will probably never have that it’s a waste of time to compare it with these three.

No, it doesn’t have anything that X-Plane doesn’t have except better graphics. It’s “more advanced” is limited to the graphics. Some things are slightly better, the ATC for example is better than X-Plane’s, but much the same as P3D/FSX as it’s the same code pretty much.

If you like the better graphics, go for it. If you like better aircraft and avionics and flight simulation, stick with X-Plane or P3D.

Each to their own.

MSFS may be great, but it isn’t yet, unless looking pretty is the sole metric.

1 Like

My instinct as a developer is that they are struggling. Nothing more than instinct. If they are then it will show Microsoft’s “commitment”. Will they fund more - (especially as the problems are probably MS’s making for forcing it out in a beta state?). Or is it “we’ve paid you, you sort it” ?

1 Like

I think the MSFS weather modelling (winds, precip, drafts, clouds etc) is also much better than X-Plane. I don’t understand why X-Plane doesn’t introduce a proper weather engine. They never paid any attention to their weather, even though it’s like 15 year old graphics.

1 Like

What’s goin on with all this info about UK poor performance ? Is everyone suffering from it ? Incorrect install update or bad photogrammetry by Asobo . Hope there is a quick hot fix not wait for Months for an overall update

1 Like

If you fly bugbashers it’s great for anything else its a game especially if you have a good rig and running P3D v5.2 and flying helicopters or study level airliners.

I regret buying it to be honest and probably should have waited a couple of years as I have had nothing but issues.

2 Likes

Yes that’s what i thought when I bought FSX and that addon ( what was that called again? ) the week they cancelled it …

1 Like