Sim Update 7 Live Weather regression - a broken mess

it seams at least they are working on it, and it sounds we should get a fix quite soon? But like today I was doing my testing flight around Belfast and Dublin, the sky was overcast with alto cumulus and lower strato cumulus, I thought it looked good but, it didn’t take long to realize the there were too many (massive) cumulonimbus around, such instability is not present ever in Ireland this time of the year!! then I flu in other places and realized that convective clouds are overdone and, in other place the usual cumulus clouds spread almost evenly around the sky, and again, too low than they should be. So…let’s keep waiting :frowning:

Сaught a beautiful overcast over northern Wyoming. Still too low…

1 Like

Yes I agree - but it seems that it is not really clear what works and when or they are just trying it out !

what’s the minimum altitude for cumulus clouds? 6000ft? or 4 ? or less? I’m no expert in this but i know they are lower than they should be because it’s so obvious! I tried to search on internet but the numbers are different in each site.

Look at these circles in low and high clouds:

Direct above EDDL

All around is near overcast.

But METAR reports overcast. TC overall. It doesn’t work. End of. :-1:

No matter, let’s see how it looks after the patch. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I know. It’s like in the eye of an hurricane :rofl:

2 Likes

Rofl :rofl: Yes, wallow in my misery!

The sim removed clouds or something around the plane. Real strange! Yes, lets hope they fix this mess soon.

I think we just need to sit tight and wait for the patch

3 Likes

I really don’t understand why did they depart from simulating the clouds based on atmospheric conditions and instead try to make the sky fit a 4-class description (few, sct, bkn, ovc) by drawing a number of cloudy puffs. This is incomprehensible and perhaps may be explained by either reduced volume and quality of data from Meteoblue, or performance improvement by fewer draw calls.

3 Likes

I don’t realy know. Maybe because METAR does not have more information about the clouds than that. And that is what we wanted in the sim to match the METAR. One thing i know though is that the weather is bad right now. Even if i try to use custom weather it’s all those generic clouds now everywhere. Even custom weather looked more dynamic before in my opinion. The weather should feel alive, now it feels dead. I think that is what they meant by calling it live weather. Weather should feel alive not that it should be exactly accurate to the weather that is happening IRL right now. They even said it could be close to the weather we have not be the weather we have, that is impossible even with METAR.

I don’t say they should revert because then many will start complain again about METAR and weather does not match. Just give us options to have the amazing weather back as it was pre su7.

anyway, flying is done anyway atm… because of this temperatur bug (TAT 263°C)

REX is getting some advertising, and although this acclaimed youtuber mainly concentrates on the temperature bug he is also showing some interesting time lapse in the beginning:

2 Likes

Those clouds rising up in the sky. Looks like smoke from a fire or something.

1 Like

This is normal for cumulus clouds.

Forming cumulonimbus (timelapse) - YouTube

1 Like

I guess REX it is, thank God I have it.

Yep, and that’s what concerns me: the weather simulation of MSFS is quite good, as far as I as an inexpert meteorologist can tell. And I take from my observations and from the video, that Meteoblue and Asobo are not injecting some clouds and visbility layers into the METAR area, but they implement an additional simulation bubble into their existing weather simulation. And it seems the side effects are hard to control.
I fear we are in for a longer journey, even if the fixes starting with Dec. 6 will probably fix the worst issues.
Let’s hope I am wrong!

1 Like

But you’re right, in the you tube video it looks a bit strange, like a forest fire. Is perhaps due to the fact that the cloud is also on the ground.

1 Like

Same Location.

MSFS Live Weather:

Alternative METAR based Weather Engine:

I prefer to wait for the fix of MS. This metar generated weather of rex… no words. But this is my opinion.

4 Likes

is there a fix coming on the 6th?