SimShaker for Aviators - Thread from the Dev

Hi everybody! I have been using SimShaker for Aviators + Sound Module for several years. With Buttkicker Gamer 2. And definitely I can’t fly without it!
It’s so immersive, especially with VR.

The only thing which I still haven’t managed to solve is random Fading of rumble effects. It happens very often, not always. So I have to restart Simshaker with Module + switch Buttkicker power off/on. It does help sometimes, but very often at first rumble begins normal, then quickly fades away, so I have to turn up “volume” on the BK remote, then rumbling may suddenly get back to “loud”, then completely fades away again… and so on.

I have had flights when it all worked great with no fading. But it’s not solved. I’m using the latest versions. And I’m if not sure it’s software related also.

Am I missing on some software or Buttkicker settings maybe?

P.S.: Buttkicker settings: “Hi-freq cut” - ON (70Hz).

Hi Everyone,

I just installed both Simshaker for aviators and SimShaket Sound module. I tried X-plane and it works correctly. But with FS2020 Shimshaker opens but says Not responding. I installed the last SDK and have all other SDK from previous versions of FSX also installed. turned off antivirus and firewall, nothing… I’m pretty much lost. Only happens when open FS2020. any update in what can be the problem? Also I use Spad Next and the simconnect connection works correctly. It is there any configuration i have to do in the simconnect.xml? add the simconnect.dll somewhere? Pretty much lost here, will appreciate any help. Thanks

Currently SSA requires the old/legacy SimConnect connectors. I use these http://www.fspassengers.com/?action=simconnect

Yeah, I use this ones also. I had them with another installation of P3D , deleted all of them, installed them again (3 files) open SSA and i can navigate through the tabs, but if I open FS2020 and later SSA then the window for SSA shows NOT RESPONDING.

I added all the folder to the windows antivirus, allowed also the files as exceptions.

Same issue.

With X-plane works correctly. And in Spad Next i can also see that the Simconnection it is successful.

What other thing can be causing the problem?

I use to own and fly an American Yankee (AA-1) and sometimes flew it with the canopy open. And while the noise volume did increase, I never felt that my hearing was in any danger.

1 Like

Holidays are near so I hope you can make some time to make it work with the MSFS simconnect…I am patiently waiting, :+1:

1 Like

Any kind of help with the non responding app? Thanks

I’m still preparing stuff for the holidays. Maybe I’ll find some free time in the coming week…

Just would like to leave it here:
Seems like I’ve solved the problem with buttkicker rumbling signal going away and back. I changed the audio-jack which goes into the buttkicker receiver (I had two of them on that side of the Y-cable). So it seems that: one of two jacks is faulty or maybe the signal goes differently via those two jacks.
Two flights have been almost perfect since that!

SSA with module is one the best add-ons for flight-simming for me!

The only question for me now: is it needed or change volume of sounds from 50% for Sound module to work? I used to set “Toichdown” to 100%, but didn’t notice big difference so far.

Installed the SimShaker for Aviators. Did not work for me, it wont allow me to change to basshaker option.

Is this a payware program?
Do i need something else?
Do i need 2 soundcards?

Please help

For transducers like a buttkicker to work with simshaker for aviators you need the sound module add-on from Andre.

Don’t confuse this with simshaker wings which is Andre’s own software that works with different games (IL2, BMS etc).

So in short for shakers to work in MSFS 2020 you need both Sim shaker for aviators (free) and the sound module (not free).

You don’t necessarily need another sound card. For example I either play on my TV (hdmi audio) or VR headset (USB audio). In either configuration my motherboard sound card ports are free, and they are plugged into the amps for the shakers. So in a setup such as mine there is no need to add any further sound cards.

I definitely like the end result of the software (I have both Simshaker for aviators and the simshaker wings) but I do find both SSA+ Sound module and SSW to feel a little dated… it’s sometimes a little tedious to do more advanced things compared to something like SimHub dash (which I use for racing games) which has a much more intuitive and powerful interface for multiple shakers IMO. Unfortunately no MSFS2020 support!

Can’t complain as far as the SSA part goes of course, given its free!

2 Likes

Anyone else having their buttkicker drop out randomly? Sometimes its only after a couple of minutes. I believe it is related to the sound module as restarting it is what gets it back for me.

Yeah, the UI is dated. I’ve plans for a new UI but now time to implement this…

1 Like

Which SSA version do you use? Which plane? Do you only use the Sound Module?

What you do is amazing anyway! I’m still amazed at what people like yourself create for the community.

Out of interest have you taken a look at something like SimHub dash and more specifically their implementation of shakers? I appreciate if your are not into driving you probably won’t have.

The one thing I really, really miss in SSA is the ability to direct effects to a specific channel or selection of channels with a simple custom
Channel map UI (and indeed being able to adjust gain per effect, per channel there)… in SSA having to create custom audio files to try and achieve the same is time consuming and difficult to dial in.

I don’t know if such a thing would fall under SSA or sound module’s purview though.

Either way, thanks for what you do!

1 Like

Could be overheating… is it hot to the touch when it drops off? The buttkicker has a thermal disconnect to protect itself. Something like the engine beat continuously going can make the smaller units overheat pretty easily if set too strong.

That should be the Sound Module’s responsibility, as SSA itself doesn’t really have anything to do with actual sound effects, if I’m not mistaken. There is a thread for it over on the DCS forums.

SSA 2.1.0.0 and SimShaker Sound Module 2.24

Didn’t have problems until very recently. I’d been away from home and came back to it having issues. Was also disconnected in the couple of flights I’ve done in DCS. Happens in every plane.

My unit used to sit on top of my computer but I’ve since moved it (as I noticed it was getting hot). It doesnt get hot now that it is on my desk. I’ve been using the buttkicker + SSA for over a year now and never had any issues until recently. Now it is cutting in and out from usage both in MSFS and DCS. I’ll try lowering the volume but its the same settings as I always had.

I’m talking about the shaker itself rather than the amp - feel if it is hot when it cuts out… given the fact it’s a recent change perhaps it’s not, but maybe the volume is being set a bit higher than before.