SimWorks Studios announced development of Kodiak 100

Wondered that myself …

Not using VR here but I have noticed it with single green light top and bottom on occasions.

Update from Just Flight - Just to let you know the update has been applied on our website so current owners can head to their account and redownload the product and you’ll then be right up to date.

Thanks for your patience.

7 Likes

It seems to have a render issue. From the default pilot position you don’t see the icons, but if you look at it, then zoom in, and out you can make the dots appear. Two notches in, and the green lights appear, one more notch, and the white marker appears.

3 Likes

Yes, thank you - I have no doubt this news will finally placate those who were so angry about the JF staff having some days off at Chrsitmas.

Hope you all have a good new year’s holiday! :slightly_smiling_face:

I was hesitant to grab it at first as I thought of it as just a prettier, higher fidelity Caravan. Then I realised I love the Caravan and why wouldn’t I want a prettier, higher fidelity one!

Just took her for a spin from Deline on a blustery journey over a Christmas-y snowscape.

6 Likes

A spin. You don’t want to be doing that in an aircraft :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the reason I first thought it’s a kind of pilot eyesight adjusting device but it seemed more complex and it changed on pitch so I looked for it in other places too. :smiley:

I have bought this and having a lot of fun. A great aircraft…well done. Climbing at 101 knots at around 1800-2000 fpm when lightly loaded is a blast.

Does anybody else have issues with the autopilot following the GPS/NAV course? It will need to make corrections (5 degrees or so) every few minutes. I thinks it’s compensating for the wind but never seems to dial in the truly proper track.

1 Like

Yes, Talked to the developer on FB and they said they are looking into it

2 Likes

Nice, thanks. Not a big deal, just wanted to make sure it wasn’t just me!

1 Like

He said alot of people have been letting him know about it, fix coming soon hopefully

1 Like

They are a good dev. If you’re here…thanks for a great plane!

2 Likes

Sorry to bring up this rudder trim subject again (since it was discussed ad nauseam previously), but either I’m doing something completely wrong or I simply don’t understand some fundamentals. I admit in regards to flying small prop aircraft in the sim I’m still quite a newbie…

So I’ve seen the suggestion of 30% rudder trim (or now 25-35% as you mentioned) for takeoff a lot, but I found that when I take off a value of only 10% (as reported by RUDDER TRIM PCT) is the max I can set (often even less) to counteract the pull to the left, anything beyond that will pull the ac to the right. So this would be my first question, why is my experience so different to everyone else’s that uses around 30%…

And second, it seems (based on Ryans videos and other posts I read) that rudder trim is usually kept for a while during the initial climb and adjusted later, but for me as soon as I lift off even just the 10% is very soon pulling the aircraft to the right and resulting in a right turn attitude, so I have to dial this down to 2 or 3 percent immediately after being airborne. Is this expected?

And last but not least, now climbing out level with 2-3 % right trim, I notice that I’m actually flying uncoordinated (based on the indicator on the PFD). But I found that if I’m using aileron trim instead of rudder trim for the climb out this works out much better, it levels the attitude the same way but does not result in uncoordinated flight. But - as far as I recall aileron trim is only supposed to be used in the case of imbalance (fuel etc) and I’ve never heard it in the context of counteracting P-factor, so I suspect if I do this I’m doing something completely wrong… Right?

4 Likes

The implimentation of the yaw axis in this sim once again creates chaos.

The hotfix was intended simply to get people flying before the Christmas break. Reducing P-factor was the quickest way around the problem that many were experiencing. Still looking for a better solution, but once again we are fighting against a core flight model that does whatever it wants with very few tools in the toolbox to adjust the areas we need. It may sound like a stuck record, but the SDK with regards to flight modelling reads like a children’s ABC book - frighteningly simplistic, totally lacking in many areas and seemingly not intended for any form of deep FDE work.

We’re stumbling blindfold through it, but it is a fight every step of the way and hopefully we’ll reach a more realistic conclusion.

9 Likes

I have not seen anyone reporting so little trim. The only justification would be a right crosswind, but that can’t be happening all the time.

Can you confirm that you don’t have autorudder on, as sometimes the sim auto-sets it? Flight model should be modern and realism set to maximum. Also, your deadzones and centering. Also, please send me your flight_model.cfg over PM to take a look.

Rudder trim can be neutralized after takeoff, its use is solely for countering P-Factor. Adjust as much as needed for coordinated flight.
As Paul said, the hotfix improved stability and ground handling in some cases, but we expect to provide further refinements. Inconsistent behaviour such as what you are reporting here is worrisome.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response, appreciate it!

Yeah I think that can be discarded, in order to eliminate any wind impact I did those tests with clear skies and deleted the wind layer, so there should be no wind at all

Just double checked, and yep autorudder is disabled, flight model is modern, and everything under Assistance/Piloting is OFF (or do you mean something else with realism set to max?)

I’ll send you those as PM. Though I’ve never touched the flight model file so it should be the one that gets originally installed…

Ah ok so having to dial down the rudder trim after takeoff isn’t that unusual, that’s good to know. In regards to ‘adjust as much as needed for coordinated flight’ - the problem for me is, if I just use the rudder trim together with the slip indicator, I end up with a rudder trim of around -5 to the left in order to show full coordination, but with this the aircraft banks and turns to the left. The only way I can achieve coordination together with a level attitude is to use a bit of right aileron trim, and rudder trim neutralized, which seems odd…

Yeah fully understand that you guys are battling against the MSFS model, and since no-one else seems to see this behavior it might very well be something completely on my side. Just thought it can’t hurt to describe this here and see if anyone has any ideas…

Thanks again!

1 Like

Aileron trim could be needed in some cases indeed. The process is:

1. Set torque
  2. Pitch trim for speed
  3. Trim rudder to coordinate
  4. Trim aileron if needed

That will get you to hands-off flight.

2 Likes

Actually I‘m in the same boat. I could not for the life of it get a clean takeoff with 25ish % right rudder trim. I found that I get the best result when I line up my trim in the MFD with the right marker line and use my right rudder pedal all the way.

The amount of rudder trim needed depends on the proportion Torque(P-factor)/IAS. The higher the torque and the lower the IAS the more trim is to be used so the highest rudder pressure/trim is needed at takeoff and it gradually decreases as the plane accelerates and the power is reduced.

I can imagine IRL using trim is more relaxing as rudder forces are high but on the other hand those forces help you to get a good feedback on the amount of rudder trim needed. In the sim you don’t have feedback on your pedals but you also don’t need to counteract against a lot’s of rudder force constantly. That’s why in sim I don’t use rudder trim during takeoff, it’s more manageable for me to use the rudder pedals manually to constantly compensate against the changing factors. I only add a little amount of rudder trim when I’m in a longer climb but as Kodiak is a very capable climber - and it’s not an SR71 operating ceiling wise :slight_smile: - I tend to use it rarely. In cruise above 130 IAS almost no rudder is needed and that’s normal I suppose as the vertical stabilizer becomes effective enough to compensate the yaw effect of the reduced torque.

You’re right on aileron trimming, it needs a little bit in cruise to get hands-off equilibrium.

1 Like