SimWorks Studios announced development of Kodiak 100

Yes. I don’t use the trim either. As the amount needed needs constant adjustment anyway it’s much more controllable in the sim doing it through the pedals (or stick twist). I guess in the real thing it’s easier to just glance at the dials and knobs to adjust trim. Not so in the sim without VR.

I noticed that rudder trim isn’t animated in external view. Nothing appears to happen to the rudder… is this just me or is it true for everyone?

I also don’t use rudder trim for takeoff, only rudder. When I’m in climb, then cruise I dial in rudder trim.

I’ve also taken to using a Kodiak mod by CanadianCaptainMoustache which makes some additional changes such as increasing the tail section a little to eliminate/reduce the crab on rotation, as well as improve taxi/takeoff roll by tweaking nose wheel steering below/above certain speeds. One other change was to increase flap drag a little.

Would you please share the link? I’d give it a try but could not find it…

You need to check out his Discord.

Just as I wrote I finally found the discord channel with the mod… Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Link to the discord?

Thank you (as well as @Garyk1066 and @hobanagerik) for your response! Makes me feel a bit better to see that my experiences aren’t completely unusual…

1 Like

Loving the aircraft so far (bought on day 1), but one thing I just can’t wrap my head around is the approach performance. On high idle, full forward, engine bypass on, full flaps, I should be able to get down to 50kts when descending at -450 to -500fpm without any issues, but the flight model won’t ever let me get below 75kts no matter how hard I try.

That said, when I bring the fuel condition lever about halfway between low idle and high idle on approach I get a lot more realistic handling, and the Torque at 400 ftlb agrees with a 500 fpm descent at at stable ~61kts.

Interesting. I haven’t tried this yet.
How loaded is the plane in your initial attempts?

Does the prop governor test button do anything, and if so, how should I be using it as per the pre-takeoff checklist? I read the POH but couldn’t quite get my head around it…if someone can dumb it down for me I’d appreciate it!

I set it at 5000lbs

The button animates but does nothing to the governor so ignore for now.

1 Like

I just shot an approach with 5,000 lbs, high idle and at 450-500fpm. No problem getting it to stall around 50kts. Video below.

So I just flew RNAV23 to KGON and had no issues either getting the Kodiak below 60kts fully configured at 400 ftlbs torque. Well, the AP started oscillating wildly below 60kts but that’s a different issue I guess.

Turns out that I had to significantly adjust my throttle axis sensitivity settings, in the low range, ±50 ftlb torque make quite a difference in speed.

2 Likes

Glad you sorted it!

The Kodiak is great, the Twin Otter looks great. You can have both. I know I will.

3 Likes

Looking forward to the amphibious of the Kodiak as well.

4 Likes

Is there a reason we can’t adjust the empty CG? It’s available for most aircraft I have installed so I don’t think it’s a sim issue.

Never mind, I found the entry in the cfg to “unlock” empty CG adjustment.

I think you are completely missing the point there - it is set as unadjustable because the empty CG position is not a movable thing. It is also set precisely using information directly from Daher, who had input on this addon and supplied us with a large amount of data.

The only reason for a potential empty weight CG change is on, for example, an airliner which may be configured differently at factory level or a military aircraft which may similarly be configured with different basic equipment - for example, the BAe Hawk has a basic mass CG range of 6556 to 6592mm aft of datum. A range of 36mm. I personally think that allowing the end user to play with the EWCG is a mistake, because such small tolerances are really not compatible with a slider to adjust and can easily lead to issues.

The Kodiak has no such range - the EWCG is set to one point based on factory information and any minor alterations to the layout (such as seats) need to be allowed for in the weight and balance when loading the aircraft, as noted in the manual.

3 Likes

That being said, there is also that bug that stops the slider at the top of the screen from allowing you to adjust the CG. I believe this used to work. :man_shrugging: