SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

That’s exactly what’s needed.

I find disabling the attitude indicator will give you some FPS back, but there is still a reasonable hit to the CPU with it off when compared to other aircraft.

It is definitely more noticeable in VR but the main CPU thread gets hit hard in pancake mode as well, its just less annoying/noticeable.

Not sure if there are any other optimisations that can be done?

1 Like

I love the Kodiak, and fly it in VR and pancake mode. I find it hits the main CPU thread hard, even with the attitude indicator turned off.

The performance hit in VR is pretty harsh because, to be honest, the game is already struggling on most peoples systems in VR mode haha. I lose about 5-10fps, which when running at 30-40fps is significant.

I find the performance hit in pancake mode to be fine since I’m already getting decent FPS and losing a few frames isn’t that big of a deal.

Same here. I have about a 10 fps loss with the standby indicator turned off compared to other planes. This is with a Ryzen 5800X and a 3080 @ 4k 400 detail range. Usually I am in the high 30s/ low 40s. With the Kodiak it is mid to high twenties. Playable but noticeable.

The Kodiak is a very nice and easy aircraft to fly in MSFS. I love how you can get in and out of almost anywhwere in it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No Idea?

What I am on about is the same thing that dozens of other people are on about. :rofl:

The standby instrument is very comprehensive and written in XML. The current XML renderer in MSFS is GDI+ which is not very efficient when rendering such complex pieces.

There is the option of NanoVG in Devmode which is what Xbox uses and which will replace GDI+. That has a very small FPS footprint and is slated to replace GDI+ for XML gauges.

Until that time comes, the only other alternative is to do the instrument with JavaScript which will take months.

3 Likes

I have excellent performance with the Kodiak. Even compared to other aircraft. Not sure why yours is different.

1 Like

I have started using NanoVg since the standby instrument problem. I know it is Beta and not recommended but I have had no problems and no fps loss.

Well, if you have a look around in this thread you can see a number of people having this problem, not just me…

The Kodiak is an amazing model… one of the very best to be released to date. My system seems to handle the workload just fine, and it is not a brand new machine with the latest/greatest components. I get zero stutters or apparent slow frame rates, even at busy airports/airspace.

Can’t wait to see what you release next… your work is top notch. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Turn down your settings.

2 Likes

I hear you and understand others have had issues. Sort of like CTDs some people suffer from these often…a lot hardly have issues. I still get odd performance issues as well.
Not the Kodiak. The CRJ will have random stutters though.
I did turn off the secondary altitude indicator and it helped a little.
My set up is a little beefy though. 8086k at 5ghz, 2080ti, 32 ram. I run 4k in one monitor and 1080 with the secondary.
Most settings are high or ultra, LOD is mid to max with about 400gb worth of scenery, planes and other addons.
I so use the GNS750 and not the nXi from WT.
Maybe that has something to do with it?
The GNS works really well.

I think you’re making a good point. I turned down my refresh rate to medium and it helped. Then again I am also using the GNS750 and have the nxi uninstalled.
I refuse to use a knob-only Garmin in flight simulators. Too cumbersome for me.
Maybe the medium setting and gns have something to do with this besides turning off the secondary indicator?

1 Like

Cor really? I wonder why I never thought of that. You must think me really stupid. :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Edited for clarity.
Steeped in sarcasm :wink:

I’ve got an Intel i9-9900 with RTX 3080, and the Kodiak is pretty much unflyable for me.
I’ve also got the DC-6 (which is also considered High Fidelity) which is like butter on my system. All other planes, that I own, are fluid. The only one with an FPS issue is the Kodiak. I’m not changing my sim settings due to one plane not being optimised.

And btw, pulling the fuse changes nothing (or at least not noticeable).

Sounds like a livery issue (just trying to help). Does it happen with built-in liveries that ship with it? Maybe try to reinstall.

Not sure if you answered me or not :wink: But I only have default liveries installed.

Update: Well, I took your advice, and reinstalled (from same exe file). This time I did not use MSFS Addon Linker to create a symlink in the Community folder, but rather installed the whole thing directly to that folder. And now I have much better frame rates. I do not understand how this could be, but I’ll take it :slight_smile: Thanks!

glad you solved it , but again this shows it was something at your end.

Yes, and if Asobo had enabled logging, I could have done something to try and figure out what was wrong, instead of randomly trying things to fix it :slight_smile: