SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

It is a freeware, I think, in France. I will ask Knack who shot the picture.

2 Likes

Having heard a lot of good things about this aircraft I finally got round adding it to my collection. Absolutely love it, will become a firm favourite of mine for sure!

1 Like

Well flying the flotiak now quite a bit and have to say itā€™s as easy to place and control as the standard one pre-updates. Slightly more throttle management then the old 2.2 version on approach but still cake. This is the end all be all do-everything sub 200kt aircraft in msfs. I have been dying for a 160kt+ anphibian single since day one. Can not believe Asobo skipped the 208 on floats, what a huge hole in the envelopes. I have no idea what Iā€™d need the beaver or twin otter for.

1 Like

does the latest Kodiak version utilize the integrated g1000 nxi without the mod?

1 Like

Yes it does.

4 Likes

Never thought i would say this but the Twotter besides being simply larger is infinitely nicer to handfly / handle then the Kodiak in game.
Less twitchy controls and dare i say a much more managable and stable aproach and final.
When that sound update comes and the Kodiak does not get less twitchy i know what iā€™ll fly.

3 Likes

The level of realism with the Kodiak is way better than the Twotter. Iā€™m actually quite disappointed with the state it is in. Sure for casual flying it is fine, but it needs much more love to get it to Kodiak level.

2 Likes

The main difference is the G1000 capability. And the recent start up damage. Yes the Kodiak has fuses, but apart from popping one on purpose i never had one pop at random.

So practical depth, i am not so sure they differ that much.

Oh and the touchdown in the Twotter feels a lot less magnetic.

Thatā€™s one of my issues that I have whenever the feature ā€œworking circuit breakersā€ comes into play with any aircraft. Unless there is a chance of them popping out once in a while, causing the associated system to fail, I donā€™t see the point of having them. Seems like wasted development time.

EDIT: I guess you can use them to practice what to do when a system fails by pulling them out intentionally, but adding failure simulation would add a great deal to their purpose.

5 Likes

Good thing the flotiak a breaker for the gear nanny. Have to finesse and cheat at or below 60kt to avoid auto-bounce on the water and that thing starts in.

I own the Kodia for FS2020, but it feels kind of ā€œmehā€ to me. Not sure what I have missed. Its flyingā€¦but itā€™s not very exiting. I find it on the slow side, but the interior and instruments is doing what the should. From a cpl of weeks back I also know about the ITT. (yeah, engine turned suddenly off while in landing phase Might be something else as well. a bug?)

Iā€™ve been flying the amphibian a lot lately, everywhere from the straights around Vancouver to the Chesapeake Bay. I found a curious thing that may or may not exist with the wheeled version. After I land on water and slow down (no beta), if I want to float toward the shore or a dock, I tried putting the condition lever to high-idle. That stalls the engine everytime. Would it be better to just leave it in low idle and bump up the throttle to get a little water-taxiing motion going?

I need a bit of help, due to this, still unacknowledged, bug:

Just now, I tried to take a screenshot and the blasted bug was induced.

When I resumed the sim, the aircraft had lost engine power. I presume this was due to the Xbox OS pause and resume ā€œmovingā€ the condition lever to cut-off and, then after seeing where my peripherals were actually set, moving it back to High, because that is where it was still set.

Anyhow, the issue is I need to understand how to restart the turbo prop engine when in the air. Like a dope, I flicked on the fuel pump, ignition, and starter and neglected to move the condition lever out of high. Thus, I had insane ITT spike, due to hot start. I can be forgiven, I think, for being out of my element here.

What is the proper procedure to restarting one of these power plants whilst in the air after the sim tries to destroy your calm and serene flight?

Thanks.

Iā€™d posted this awhile back.

Looking more closely at the G1000ā€™s aileron trim center indicator, it would appear that the ailerons are centered, but the issue is the left-hand vertical line that defines the centered position is too far to the right. This gives the impression that the indicator is to the left of center, but if you look carefully enough you will see that the overall length of the trimā€™s range is of equal length to that of the rudder. If you look further closely, you will note that the trim indicator is centered with the rudder indicator.

Would this artwork glitch be an SWS fix or a WT fix? Iā€™m guessing the former.

I donā€™t know about the Xbox OS, but if I ever pause the sim using ESC (PC), when I unpause it puts the condition lever into cut-off and its engine shut-down time. Been like this for a while. I just try to avoid pausing the sim. But its annoying. Not sure if its just the Kodiak or other turboprops?

I had that a couple of times with the wheeled version, donā€™t know why. I only know that it doesnā€™t happen when I switch the ignition to on before pushing the condition lever to high idle. At least so far.

I donā€™t have that issue if I use the traditional in-game pause. The aforementioned bug is if you do anything that invokes the Xbox OS pausing the sim, such as pressing the Xbox controllerā€™s ā€œNexusā€ button.

Anyhow, the issue at hand is how do I restart this turboprop??

Well, its feather the prop, condition level to cut-off, put the aux fuel pump on, starter on (lo or hi makes no difference in this scenario) and wait for Ng 20 then introduce fuel, butā€¦you can still get the ITT spike. I mean unless you have lots of height to let the engine cool some more before introducing fuel.

That happens to me if when grabbing the condition lever with the mouse if I move it backward by accident (even just the tiniest amount). To circumvent this I actually have my mouse moving forward and grab the lever on the move so that there is no way I accidentally move it backwards at all.

1 Like

The Kodiak is currently heavily discounted and Iā€™m itching to buy it. But how is it on Xbox after SU11? Is it more stable, or does it still cause CTDs to those who have struggled with it before?