SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

■■■■. Bought it 3 days ago!! :frowning:
I do recommend it though. Finicky but more dynamic for sure.

Haven’t had issues with it yet.

A steal at £16 in the current sale. I wasn’t going to pick it up but at 50% discount. Why not. I just hope it loads OK as there seems to be a wasm compile bug right now with some encrypted aircraft from marketplace. Latest victim for me today is the 414 (trying to install it this morning) after the A310 showing no compile either.

EDIT: it does load fine, maybe no compile for is one necessary for Kodiak. Off to check it out.

2 Likes

I don’t think it uses any WASM, iirc.

It is an absolute steal at that price though, definitely. It’s a great aircraft. I liken it to a more aggressive, more challenging version of the Caravan. That’s a little simplistic a view but I think it fits.

3 Likes

I had a funny feeling that it had no WASM. WASM compile in SU11 would appear to be broken. We all await a patch. I see from release notes they changed quite a bit with WASM. Not sure if this was for XBox but it’s taken out WASM compile on PC it would appear, and the A310 is the victim. (and my Chancellor 414)

Had a quick 30 minute flight in the Kodiak this morning and it is nice. A complete bargain. I wasn’t buying it earlier as I have far too many similar type aircraft and I’m not a big fan of glass cockpits in general (other than the airliners), but I have to say I enjoyed that 20minute initial flght. They have snuck out some real bargains this time around in the store sale. Worth a look even if we are all distracted by all the new 40th anniversary stuff!

1 Like

I’ve purchased the aircraft but there are severe problems with it:

• The flight path isn’t appearing on the map screen and the plane has no idea where to go in NAV mode. The flight plan is there but there’s no path. You have to use the Direct To function for the first waypoint in order to make the path appear.

• If you choose any livery that’s not the “tundra interior”, then the copilot doesn’t communicate with ATC by himself, even if it’s set in the assistance menu.

These bugs really hamper an otherwise great plane. I think I’ll apply for a refund.

1 Like

I think there is something else wrong with your installation as I don’t have these problems.

If you’re not on the flight path, NAV won’t take you there. Zoom out until you see it and hand fly or HDG mode to intercept it. Then switch to NAV.

2 Likes

From your point of view the Kodiak 100 is not one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020. That is fair.

Does anyone have any issues with controlling the aircraft roll after disconnecting AP?

I’ll be on AP lined up for final, switch off AP and have absolutely zero roll authority, pitch authority seems to be ok I believe.

I mean there is no flight path even as I’m sitting at the departure airport. It just doesn’t appear and switching the CDI to GPS just points North. Certainly a technical issue as in these cases there’s no flight path on the VFR map either. This has never been a problem in any other aircraft.

It seems it is local to you I’m afraid. If on PC try removing everything but the Kodiak from your community folder and check if you have the latest version of all the Nav based add ons. If you are Xbox I have no idea.

1 Like

Can you still induce a roll with rudder?

Thank you. I’m on Xbox, the best I could try is to reinstall the thing and delete my rolling cache (the trick that solves everything purely by placebo effect :laughing:). I noticed this on smaller airports for some reason. When I created a plan from bigger airports, even without departure procedures or purely just IFR, the line was there. However, the point of the Kodiak is to use smaller airfields… If I press the FPL button, the flight plan is there as “active” but it’s not drawn on the map. Using the Direct To feature is kind of a workaround for this but it’s still annoying.

However, the copilot not doing their job is worse because there’s nothing I can do about it. With the Kodiak 100 (no cargo pod) version, only the “tundra interior” liveries work. Anything else I chose and the copilot didn’t communicate with ATC. I tried turning the assist off and back on but to no avail. If I chose a “tundra interior” livery, the copilot contacted tower as soon as I switched on the battery.

It’s a great plane and fantastic that it’s discounted but if it locks me out of using most liveries and I have to mess with the navigation every time then it’s not a good deal for me. :frowning: Also, on Xbox there’s a graphical glitch at the right side of the PFD screen, it flickers as if it wasn’t properly aligned with the frame, it’s probably visible due to the lower resolution / upscaling. No big deal but again, something that detracts from the overall experience.

Question: Why is the aircraft “overstressed” if I open the storm window in the air? I doubt the real Kodiak would fall apart if you did that. :slight_smile:

It’s a limitation of MSFS. You can turn off aircraft stress damage in options if you want to open it in flight. For a time when I had my second monitor on the left, I would open it by accident quite often when using the second screen (the storm window has a large click spot). I ended up editing the code so it was locked shut.

Note that the issues with the G1000nxi may be better solved in those threads. There are all sorts of issues that can arise with conflicts with out of date versions of the PMS GTN750 etc

We’ve established that this is on xbox.

Ah, my bad. So not a GTN750 issue. But maybe to do with the marketplace G1000nxi - still needed for some 3rd party aircraft?

It’s a limitation of MSFS, as the manual says turn off aircraft stress damage if you’ll be operating the doors in the air.

Also, can you take a picture of your PFD when you have the aircraft set to follow to the GPS route and aren’t seeing the line on your nav display?

I’m on Xbox and I’m having no problem seeing any programmed routes although one of my routes DID have a manual sequence routing section before the first waypoint which required me to place myself on an intercept heading before the GPS would pick up the track for the first waypoint, this also required me to zoom pretty far out before seeing the first waypoint and routing on my map.

This manual sequence “waypoint” is listed in magenta on the top of your PFD above where the currently activated AP modes are listed.

If we can see a picture of your PFD we can see what the AP is tracking in NAV mode and it might be a situation like I described above or that you’re not on a XTRK to the next waypoint.

I’m poor at wording this so I’m sorry if it’s confusing a picture of both your PFD and even main nav MFD with the aircraft set up to follow the nav route would help us.

2 Likes

Thanks. The next time I encounter this issue I will screenshot it. I’m currently flying from Donegal to Barra and this issue occurred. I switched on the aircraft and on the map screen there was no flight path. The plan was loaded into the G1000, however. The CDI source is always set to VOR1 as I recall. If I switch it to GPS then the purple arrow simply points to the North – until I use DIR to Direct To the first waypoint in the plan. Then the whole flight path appears correctly. I noticed this is happening on small airports where there is no departure approach, only “Direct”. Also I have to note I create the plans on the world map, not manually or SimBrief or anything. So this could be a sim issue post-SU11, I have yet to try it with other G1000 aircraft.

The CDI is always on VOR1 when you first power on the G1000nxi…

I wonder if the flight plan is being activated? If you bring up the FPL it should have a magenta line on the left linking the two waypoints (from-to). If not, you don’t have an active leg and won’t get Nav guidance from the CDI or flight director.

You can fix this (without doing a direct) by selecting the target waypoint in the flight plan, press ‘menu’ and select ‘activate leg’. The magenta line in the FPL should appear and if you are within 30° and 2nm of the track, you will start to get Nav guidance (until then GPS will remain white for ‘armed’ in the top of the PFD).

The difference between this procedure and using a direct is that it will bring you on to the original planned track, rather than calculating a new one from your present position.

It shouldn’t make a difference what size of airport you are arriving or departing from, or whether there are any procedures set on the world map/loaded in the nxi… But you might need to select a departure runway in the nxi to get the first leg to be active.