SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

I reloaded the same flight to screenshot the problem.

Here’s the flight I planned on the world map:

Here’s the aircraft after startup. PFD:

Map (note there’s no flight path):

Flight Plan page:

Comparing the screenshots I noticed that the first waypoint, in this case RILGU seems to be missing. It’s shown on the world map but it’s not in the flight plan. Also, the “Activate Leg” option is greyed out on all other waypoints, so my only option in this situation is to Direct To the first one (PR25I).

Hmm. Definitely doesn’t look right [Edit - I think this is because the Nxi is not picking up the transition waypoint (RIGLU) from the world map and using another] Try creating your flight plan in the world map but without the approach procedure. You can add that in the Nxi itself once you start the flight.

To get the activate leg option, you have to have pressed the FMS knob with the FPL open to get a cursor. Then use the dial to select the target waypoint. The option should then be available.

Also use the cursor to add a runway at the origin airport.

OK, I just loaded the same plan with the Cessna Caravan and it’s the same. So this is not a Kodiak issue but a G1000NXi issue.

I see no option to add the runway, nothing happens if I highlight it with the cursor and press ENT or MENU or anything. Though I admit I don’t really know how to dig into the menus, especially that I play with a controller only.

Edit: I can’t enter any values anywhere, the only thing I can do is to highlight something with the cursor and that’s it.

Scratch that, I figured it out. Also, you were right. If I create a plan without an approach then the flight path appears. I can then manually add the approach in the FMS. However, either way it’s extra work because something isn’t right with loading flight plans from the world map. :angry:

I recreated your scenario. And yes, its a known MSFS/G1000NXi issue - when loading the RNAV procedure into the NXi for the world map, its not picking up the fact that RIGLU is the selected Initial Approach Fix and instead loading the approach as a ‘Vectors-to-final’ (VTF). As its a vectors leg, you wont get a track (hence no magenta line of the map)

As it looks like you figured out you want use the Nxi PROC page to load the procedure again and select the correct IAF (RIGLU). You get this problem when you have an IFR flight plan where the first waypoint is the IAF. If you had another en-route waypoint selected in the world map you might not get this. But I always load my procedures in the NXi and dont rely on the World Map (its fine for en-route waypoints though).

To select runways press the FMS, use the outer ring to select the origin and then the inner ring will give you a menu of runways to highlight. Use the menu button to select. Same for the arrival if not using a procedure.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the help! I guess this issue is then avoided with longer flights where the first waypoint is not an IAF. I guess I’ll just have to fly longer. :slight_smile: Hopefully they’ll fix this soon.

Happy to help. I do a lot of short hops in the Kodiak - often my flight plan is simply point-to-point VFR and I add the approach procedure in flight as necessary if I need to go IFR. This is where the NXi is great as it can cope with all sorts of in-flight changes without getting buggy and adding in random waypoints (like the G3000…)

Now I have a flight path that has a hole in it. There is a departure phase, then a huge hole until the next normal waypoint. The departure ends with MANSEQ and the next waypoint would be OTONA, the two are not connected at all. Will the autopilot navigate this segment? The flight plan says “Enroute”.

Negative. MANSEQ means manual sequence - i.e. you have to fly this part yourself (like vectors)

DM me if you have any more questions - I fear we are well off Kodiak topic here…

3 Likes

I play on xbox and i have a problem. While entering the flight plan, the garmin resets and turns off and the indicator light beeps. Then it turns on by itself and the flight plan is deleted.

When you power on the Kodiak the G1000nxi will go through a start up. You need to wait for that to complete before attempting to enter a flight plan on the MFD screen.

As this is more likely to do with the G1000nxi and not the Kodiak, probably better to ask your question here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/garmin-g1000-nxi-issues-and-support/549927?u=alpineb4652

Backup AI is missing a single digit.

For example, an airspeed of 145 shows up as

1 5

That is all…

Loving this bird again with recent updates. One of my top 5 planes for sure. I would highly recommend this plane.

3 Likes

It’s a known issue. The middle digit is below the first. SWS has stated that it’s a rendering issue on Asobo’s end.

2 Likes

This. And it’s not unique to the Kodiak,
I’ve seen that at least in another plane, either myself or in somebody’s video.

2 Likes

What’s the usual best practice for climb and descent, FLC mode or VS? I find myself preferring VS and rather adjusting that if the speed drops on climb, rather than FLC because if it’s fixed on the wrong speed then either the climb or descent could end up just too slow. I guess there’s a common practice to this, what do you guys use?

I mostly use vertical speed myself and just watch my speed. Love the nav panel in this plane too. Even has the click heading and all knobs nice and cozy and handy. Joy to fly by hand or instrument. I’m still getting used to WT myself though. I been using PMS750 in the other birds though.

1 Like

I use VS for climb and descent myself. I get to control when and how much. Having said that I haven’t really messed with FLC…so maybe there are better options there.

The only thing that bugs me with the nav panel is the track up default. Is there any way to make the G1000 North up (might be somewhere else in these forums)?

Edit: found how to change the map orientation (map settings in the G1000 menu). Nice. :smiley:

1 Like

FLC for ascent as I just want to get up to altitude as fast as I can. VS for descent as I’m more interested then in reaching a particular altitude at a particular point.

I set VS mode to +800fpm on the ground which will give a good post take off attitude on the flight director of 9°. Once flaps are up and above 1000AGL, I usually go to FLC for a 115kt climb out. Always descend using VS.

FLC for climbs and generally VS for descent. You have less risk of stall using FLC but VS works if you keep an eye on the airspeed.

3 Likes