SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

Marketplace purchase.

Flight one was mere hours prior to yesterday’s Marketplace update. Flight two was this AM with updated Kodiak.

Neither behaved differently in terms of the issue.

1 Like

I thought this was on AP disengagement.

My issue is after takeoff and initial AP engagement.

1 Like

I would test further just to make sure your procedure is correct.

And I promise to take the Kodiak up for more of my own testing tonight as well. I will let you know if I can reproduce the issue on my Xbox.

I didn’t have the smoothest experience last night but I am in beta and we got a new build on top of all the plane updates so I am still trying to figure out what issues go where! :joy:

1 Like

Like I said, I did the exact same procedure in the 172 and it performed as expected.

I’ll give the Kodiak another go, but something isn’t right if I’ve had two issue in two flights. The only different between them, other than location, was I used even more nose down trim for takeoff on the second flight.

1 Like

I just tried again, latest version as of today from the marketplace. She does not want to take the pre-set flc.

1 Like

My skepticism comes from having some issues in the Kodiak which I then reproduced in another Asobo plane.

So…

I am of no use here without further testing. I cannot pin any issues I experienced on the Kodiak’s new build, yet.

But I fly her more than my other planes and I will pay attention to your issue when I do. I will make a concerted effort to reproduce it tonight.

2 Likes

So, what’s in the update?

Kodiak 100 wheels 1.4.0

-Fixed flap autotrim engaging on take-off roll
-Fixed AP nose down when disengaging
-Accelerated residual ITT cooldown after pilot feedback (3x)
-Lowered peak startup ITT vs altitude
-Adjusted flight model pitch sensitivity
-Adjusted flap lift and drag
-Improved ground handling

2 Likes

I’m an ex Dash 8 pilot (100 and Q400) and I’m a little bit puzzled by the extreme lag in torque response when adding power in particular. On the Dash 8 when you set power for takeoff it’s as quick as a jet, but in the sim the lag in torque response indicated in the cockpit seems a bit extreme. Never flown the Kodiak in real life, but is this a sim issue or a feature of the Kodiak? Anyone knows?

Another thing is the terrible ground handling. You seem to need a lot of power to start moving, then you can almost make a 360 degree turn in 2 seconds if you want to without any inertia or the plane flipping over like you would expect in real life. Rudder seems extremely sensitive. As far as I know this plane does not have nose wheel steering?

Besides these two things I think the Kodiak is definitely among the top 5 best aircraft for MSFS.

4 Likes

Yes it does. It’s a bungee type.

Great! Thanks.

Are you talking about the Kodiak 100?

Because it’s the only aircraft in my hanger that’s packing so much power on ground at idle that the moment I disengage brakes, it starts creeping forward. And in less than a minute, the speed reaches 30-40 kts in that creep mode, with throttle at idle.

2 Likes

Are you sure you’re not in high idle?

But overall I do agree with @FolkishZeus315 with regard to the ground handling… though MSFS is mostly to blame here.

Ok, after testing on my end it appears to be working as I described.

No matter what VS you set before engaging AP, your AP will capture whatever your current VS is when you engage VS.

So if you have a VS set for 800 and you turn it on while going -900, your VS will now be set to -900 as that was your VS when you engaged VS mode, and you will have to manually adjust from there to get it to 800.

This is how the system seems to work in the Kodiak. Much like how FLC mode will capture your current speed when it engages.

So, for me, and I am not a pilot, and have no experience IRL in a Kodiak so my process might not be exactly what folks would train you to do, I would engage AP, then press ALT to hold my altitude, then press VS to have a VS of around 0, and finally, turn the wheel from there to set my rate of climb to 800.

But I usually use FLC mode to climb in this bird. Slow it down a bit. Engage FLC, and have the overhead to climb while maintaining speed.

Hope that helps.

Always a joy to have an excuse to fly this bird again.

1 Like

I have what’s probably a really basic question so apologies in advance for missing the obvious but the switch bindings document that comes with this and some other aircraft…what does it actually tell me…I’m sure it’s a simple thing I’m missing but all I see is s load of letters and then 0 and 1 for on and off for each bind

It’s for use with 3rd party software like spad.next etc.

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate that

Please tell me how to update Kodiak to its latest version?
I bought it from SimWorksStudio and have not received any instructions from them despite my numerous inquiries

Login to your SWS account go to downloads/updates I think it’s called and just download what’s there like you did when you first purchased. What’s there will always be the latest version.