SimWorks Studios PC-12 (47 and NG)

I just wanted to point out for people thinking about buying this plane that it is totally possible to land this plane safely if you have good rudder pedals. I think it’s one of the most enjoyable planes to fly in the sim due to its inertia and weighty feeling. Ground handling is what it is like with all planes in MSFS.

3 Likes

Only you can say if you get any joy from the aircraft so that’s fine but I’m not getting why you think it’s difficult to land just that it is. I have to agree with @UDDEVALLAPPL as to this having that heavy larger aircraft feel to it. It’s one of its features that we obviously both enjoy. What’s specifically the issue with landing?

2 Likes

The feeling when landing is like balancing a ball on your finger and I experience it differently, especially with larger and heavier aircraft and it seems I’m not the only one who has problems with this aircraft.

I’m happy for everyone who has fun with this airplane, I just don’t and I find it hard to believe that an airplane flies like that, but I don’t know, I’ve never followed a PC12 in real life, but in mine As a memory (it was a long time ago) a Piper PA-42 flies against it as if it were on rails

1 Like

I love this aircraft!!
The landings are tricky I must say, after 12 hours of practice approaches and landings I must say it is not bad at all. Now staying on the runway as supposed. All about approach speed and landing speed.

To quote someone with real PC-12 hours in his flightbook: " the landing characteristics (yaw) are very screwy to me. I never had as much trouble landing the PC-12 in the real plane." (on SWS’ Discord).

The yaw characteristics are being reevaluated by the developer. Although my irl experience is limited to C152, C172, PA28 and SR20 only, I seriously doubt that an aircraft with such a yaw behaviour exists anywhere in real aviation.

Everything else about the flight model feels solid though.

3 Likes

Trim buttons are working but arent dysplayed : in the cockpit, the button dont move and in the exerial view, the elevator dont move as uf I press the button in the cockpit. But when flying, my buttons assigned are working. Thanks

It’s all about opinions isn’t it. SWS have used current PC-12 pilots to vet this and Pilatus even had to sign it off. Who to believe is always the thing with any flight sim related comment you see. It may be correct, someone stirring the pot or just plain wrong. I generally never take anything anyone says as fact because often it’s just not. But it sometimes helps point you in the right direction to go do further research of your own if it’s something that interests. It’s certainly still skiddy on the landing roll but I think a lot of that is the sim air/ground transition physics as it affects almost every aircraft to some extent.

I got the pc-12 despite this forum and It is a sweetheart!
I hope it doesn’t get dumbed down.

I am wondering if some of the problems people are having, particularly on takeoff are the lack of V speeds in the documentation. The ones I have come across are upwards of 20 knots less than most turbo props.
This would explain the skidding and lack of grip some have mentioned.

Every thing is seems to me to be about rudder, rudder trim and yaw damper. It reminds me of a ww2 fighter in that you have to be aware of the massive amount of torque involved. I did not find it difficult to manage at all.
With the addition of more in depth engine management and failure modes this is going to be tops in the hangar,

4 Likes

The buttons don’t move with keyboard commands AFAIK as they’re bound to InputEvents.Either way the trim switches will be replaced with better ones as the current logic doesn’t satisfy us.

The elevator should move along with the entire top of the tail. To see a difference you really need to trim a lot.

Regarding speeds, I have found two big prpblrms from the user side. The first is that people are afraid of the power lever and take two minutes to move from idle to max. The plane will be at 100kts before they reach 30psi. Don’t do this. Get to 1700 and then push it all the way to max. The engine will take as long as it needs to accelerate, it doesn’t need pampering.

The second is the Carenado PC-12 checklists of Flightsim.to that many seemed to use based off of what we’ve seen in the support tickets. They reference extremely high takeoff and landing speeds which worked for that plane but are a far cry from the real one. A plane that stalls at 50-70kts does not rotate at 90-110, it should already be flying!

5 Likes

flaps 15 rotate around 75-80
flaps 30 rotate around 70ish

2 Likes

The info I have says for flaps 15
at 6400 lbs VR is 63 knots
7300 lbs is 67
8200 lbs is 71
9100 lbs is 75
10000 lbs is 79
10450 lbs is 81

Looking at those figures it is no wonder you would have trouble at 90 knots
Even worse at flaps 30 of course

I am sure the same applies to V Ref speeds If the aircraft isn’t done flying, keeping it on the runway is going to be a challenge

V APP speeds flaps 40

@ 6400 lbs 67 knots
7300 lbs 72 knots
8200 lbs 76 knots
9100 lbs 80 knots
1000 lbs 84 knots

I suspect many are using considerably more airspeed than that and it is going to complicate matters.

2 Likes

exactly don’t overcomplicate it lol. flaps 15 is for normal TO, start pulling back around 70ish and by 80 you should be in the air. same does for flaps 30, you can start pulling back a bit earlier.

1 Like

Stupid question incoming - how come I can adjust the prop RPM (NO not the PCL) even though their is no lever for it and the manual tells me its constant speed? I guess i should unbind it - but should it not just be inaccessible?

I don’t own the SWS, but the prop should reach maximum governed RPM while setting take off thrust and pretty much stay there the whole flight. You might see it drop at very low power settings.

The NG models have a button for quiet cruise that pulls the prop back to 1600RPM (IIRC) but that’s a different iteration of the aircraft that what we currently have here.

You probably shouldn’t have a control mapped to it, although you’d probably be fine if it was left in full forward position. To ensure there’s no interreference though, you might want to unmap it.

thanks - i thought it odd - i can definitely control it but that’s obviously not true to life so will un-map or leave at full as you suggest

It should not be controllable at all, so I will chdck wheter we or Asobo let a window open and close it if I can.

2 Likes

There must be other factors in each Flight Sim setup, apart from each plane. I have no issues taking off or landing as far as extreme yaw, etc. I’ve rotated as high as 100+ and land between 90-70 knots, with no control issues. Maybe a bit of rudder control, but that’s very common. It’s strange that some others have issues.

Hi everyone…does anyone else have a saitek yoke that is able to use the aileron axis in msfs with the SWS PC-12? I bought this last week, but I am unable to get the aileron axis to move. I can set the rudder axis, which move both axis, but it doesn’t allow for me to bank using the yoke when airborne…I do NOT have axis or ohs nor FSUIPC. So, I’m at a loss. I can set the ailerons axis, but after it is set it doesn’t move when I turn the yoke. I can see it move in the windows game controller settings…so I am stumped. I have yet to be able to fly this ac. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am shocked that it doesn’t seem to work with the msfs axis. Weird
Bruce L

If you see it moving in the game controller settings, then it’s probably a bug or conflict somewhere. I remember having the same issue a long while ago but I don’t remember how I solved it. Probably a restart or re-install of something fixed it.

It shouldn’t matter the brand of yoke if both use the same binding unless you have a conflict somewhere. I don’t use the Saitek but am using the standard aileron binding as are probably the majority of users and it controls as one would expect.