SkyVector on a Second Machine as moving map?

Can I have SkyVector running on a second machine and show my MSFS2020 aircraft (moving map)? I know there is an app to show own plane on Skyvector from within MSFS2020, but I want to display it on a second machine much like Navigraph or Little NavMap.

I guess you might ask the creator of it if he could support that. I looked at his Open Source project for that, and it looks to me like that sort of thing could be supported without too much trouble (letting you enter the IP of your host computer).

EDIT: for context, I guess this is the mod you are talking about ? MSFS 2020 SkyVector Moving Map » Microsoft Flight Simulator

EDIT 2: I forgot to answer the actual question facepalm: It looks to me as if that was not supported for now. I didn’t test it, but it looks that way from reading the code.

EDIT 3: This reply on the mod page maybe answers your question: MSFS 2020 SkyVector Moving Map » Microsoft Flight Simulator

What would a Skyvector moving map have that LittleNavMap does not? Just curious.

You might already know this but just in case - you can download USA sectional charts & all Google Maps (terrain, satellite, road etc) into LittleNavMap. See here:

2 Likes

I can’t help you with skyvector but little navmap has a web server option so you can view a moving map from another device- even your phone or tablet.

I have been using Little NavMap for years and love it. I am aware of the US Sectional Charts. I also have Little NavMap running on a second machine and can’t imaging flying without it. So why the interest in SkyVector on a second machine? Sectional charts for Austria with current position displayed.

Well I installed the SkyVector Moving Maps Mod and it works on the primary flight Sim Machine. I followed the instructions for changing the Hostname to IP address of the primary machine running FSWebServer (part of the mod) on the second machine and installed the chrome extension as per the developer’s instructions, (including adding FSWebServer to the firewall), and… it does not connect. Tried everything I could think of, Cleared the Chrome cache, rebooted, reset the router, backed out completely and repeated the process. It worked for some people, and it did not for just as many others (from the comments)
I would love for it to work, looks like a brilliant piece of work. But, now I am frustrated, so… back to flying. If anyone tries it and gets it to work, please post here.

I’ll try it out this WE if I find some time to do so.

1 Like

Ohh I see ok, i understand now. European-specific charts. I think I saw a free European map addon for LNP just the other day. Will edit this comment if I find it.

1 Like

I tried a few things, but as soon as I used a local IP address (home network), I ended up with this error in the console: Mixed Content: The page at 'https://skyvector.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure XMLHttpRequest endpoint 'http://192.168.X.XX:8001/get?position'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

I think it has to do with CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing) restrictions for plugins, I unfortunately doubt it can be solved that easily. Or I might have missed something there :man_shrugging:

Imma have to give up on that, sorry.

Try this. Made for Europe: VFR Map for Little Navmap

1 Like

Thank you very much for trying, I know that took some time. It makes me feel better knowing that it is not something simple and stupid that I was doing.

I downloaded, followed the instructions in the thread and it works great. Thank you telescpebldr. This is probably the better solution for me anyway since I am VERY comfortable in LittleNavMap for flight planning and following. Now I do not have an extra app for VFR Charts. I still use Navigraph for IFR Approaches and finding my way around these big airports when they give you about a dozen taxiways.

Thanks again, this is great for me.

1 Like

Glad it’s what you’re looking for! Fewer apps the better!